Reason for 5'-3' Replication in DNA replication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

betterfuture

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So the reason why the new dNTP's are added at the 3-OH group of the growing template strand is because of the ease of having a nucleophilic reaction occur.

So suppose if we wanted to add the new nucleotide at the 5(PO4)3- end, could it happen it there were 2 added phosphate groups attached to that 5 phosphate end?
 
Very interesting question



Check this video out - explanation on why 3' to 5' reactions don't occur en vivo at the end.

As to why DNA synthesis didn't evolve this way - I would surmise that adding phosphates to the primer section during synthesis is unfavorably because it would require the hydrolysis of 2 ATP's per base pair added, which itself would probably require a different set of enzymes and would lengthen the time of this process. A longer DNA synthesis wouldn't be beneficial for things like cell division.

Chemically (someone correct me if I'm wrong - it's been awhile since orgo for me) - I think steric hindrance would have an effect on the Sn2 reaction and the diphosphate groups ability to leave.
 
Yeah. I had checked this video out.

At around 7:47, I think he forgot to include 2 more phosphate groups attached at the 5 end of the primer. So if we did add nucleotides at the 5 end of the primer, it could work but then again, I think I am thinking too much into this. Lol