Reasonable to ask for funding details in writing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dd123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school that is making me an offer has specified through an emailed word doc from the dean 1 year of funding, through an emailed word doc from the dept. 4 years, and from email correspondance with the director and my new supervisor, 5 years.

I've confirmed with my supervisor and director that it's 5. I'd really like it in writing, not just emailed word docs, especially since even those word docs are not consistent.

Yet the admin person is really dragging her heals. "just print it off" she says, when I asked for a hard copy.

Do I risk starting off on the wrong foot, by expecting and demanding that they conform to my standards of good business practice? Even though I'm quite sure I can trust the director and my supervisor, contracts exist for good reasons.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's quite reasonable to ask. It's very important information.

I thought so too...

Problem resolved, thanks for your help!

d

Members don't see this ad :)
personally, id just print it. id make sure i kept a copy with detailed sender info though. generally, email is good enough evidence for me.

My answer depends on what you've gotten so far. Is it a formal acceptance letter stating 1 year of funding and then an email from a faculty member with "Oh yeah, I think we can fund you for 5 years" in the body? Or did you receive another formal acceptance letter? If its a formal acceptance letter stating 5 years than I think you're fine, all that might change is the grad secretary would print it out herself and then mail it to you, that just wastes time.

Provided they ARE guaranteeing funding for 5 years I think its reasonable for that to be in the letter and not just informally stated. However, a huge number of schools won't do this for legal/accounting purposes, even though they always fund everyone. I don't know what we would do if someone insisted their funding be formally "guaranteed" for 5 years - I'm sure it would irritate at least the administrative staff, if not the faculty. Its just not done at many places, so it seems a bit unreasonable to me. We've always funded everyone, but save for the fellowship folks, no one gets a guarantee.