Reasons to transfer??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are reasons people have had to transfer medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am getting engaged and would like to be closer to my boyfriend??

yo im in the process of transferring right now. Its too be closer to my fiance and get married soon so i think ur reasoning will work. Just tell ur school ur getting married and it shouldnt be a problem.

My interview is tomorrow, wish me good luck later

Omar

Members don't see this ad :)
I transferred from Boston University to Washington University between my second and third years of medical school. The reasons:

1. WashU is a much better school, IMHO...certainly helped with the match.
2. I had an opportunity...at the time i did it, I knew that washu was willing to accept transfer students. There were actually two students in my class (myself and another student) who transferred into the class.
3. WashU actually worked out to be cheaper: washu locked in my tuition as if I had started there (no 5% tuition increase / year). plus, cost of living was much lower in st. louis.

What did you tell them your reason for transfering?

Dear Monet:

When I interviewed to transfer, the reasons that I gave for wanting to transfer were the ones that I listed. I was honest with them, and things worked out. Hope that you find success also!

what are the criteria needed to transfer and to be a competitive transferee?

Daddysoy said:
what are the criteria needed to transfer and to be a competitive transferee?

I cannot speak to every situation, but i think that the most important criteria of being able to transfer is whether or not the school has available spots. As I had mentionned before, in my WashU class, there were two people who transferred in. Also, we both joined the MSIII class, and Barnes is a gigantic hospital + the class sizes at washu are relatively small, so adding another two students was not a huge burden on their resources.

I don't know what the criteria for allowing to join the class were, but i can tell you that when I had interviewed at washu, i had not yet taken my USMLE part I, and although I had done very well in my MSI and MSII courses, i was probably not going to be junior AOA at my school.

I think that reason that i was able to transfer is probably a combination of the fact that washu is able to accept transfers (at least, they were my year) and i thought that i did pretty well during my interviews.

Oh yeah, in case anybody is interested, when i joined washu, i did not have to repeat any courses, or do any additional class work, i simply joined the third year class the day that 3rd year rotations started.

And I also found this on washu's medical school site (http://medicine.wustl.edu/admissions/transfer.html):
Each year, Washington University School of Medicine accepts a limited number of transfer students into its third-year class depending on the availability of positions. Transfer applications are accepted from well-qualified second-year students who are enrolled in good standing and eligible to continue in their L.C.M.E.-accredited U.S. medical schools. Applicants must also have a compelling personal reason for requesting transfer and must have the full approval of the dean of their current school. Accepted students are required to successfully complete the U.S.M.L.E. Part I examination.

Transfer application forms for admittance into the third-year class are available after October 1 for the following academic year. The deadline for submission of applications is March 31. Those applicants selected for interview will be invited to visit the Medical Center. Applicants will be notified of the decision of the Committee on Admissions by May 15 or when a position becomes available. Inquiries should be directed to:

Third-Year Class Transfer Program
Washington University School of Medicine
660 S. Euclid Avenue, Campus Box 8077
St. Louis, Missouri 63110-1093
(314) 362-6844
(314) 362-4658 FAX

One more thing that i forgot to mention:

I am originally from st. louis, so i am guessing that this only could have helped me get into washu.

Good luck to those of you that need to transfer. Please feel free to PM me if you want to ask me a question in private...i am happy to help / share more details of my experience (grades, test scores, etc) if needed.....

I am currently transferring from Nova Southeastern Osteopathic into LSU- NO allopathic as an MS III. I know what you are all thinking. It is not true. I love OSteopathic Medicine and I will be using its ideals in practice, however, this post is about reasons that Med. schools accept transfers.

In order to transfer to LSU-NO, you have to have an extenuating circumstance. My wife is from New Orleans. Her job is in New Orleans and she tele-commutes (for those that do not have a job, she works in Ft. LAuderdale, and on the computer she is able to communicate with her job in New Orleans). We recently had a child and it has been difficult on us without family support. Therefore, I tried and I thought there was no chance, but I got it.

So, anyway, it is good to have an extenuating circumstance in order to transfer. LSU recieved 9 applicants, interview 3 and I do not know how many they took.

damn, the married people getting yet another advantage. :)
i wanted to transfer to penn med into my msIII year but so far they are having none of it. i am currently a law student at penn and would love to stay. i guess that is not extenuating enough. oh well, anything you can do for me neuronix? any people i need to pay off?

monet said:
I am getting engaged and would like to be closer to my boyfriend??
So