Reasons why you should not do OT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pttrac

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the article. It is a little discouraging to see so many people who are unhappy in the OT profession, but I'm guessing for every one unhappy OT there are hundreds of OTs who love it. I think any profession will have people who are sick of it and burnt out. It could be that these people didn't do their research before... or maybe they did. We don't know. I see a lot of them complaining of paperwork, but paperwork is part of any job.....

It's sad for the people on the forum, but definitely doesn't discourage me from the profession. It's just like people who review products - you're not going to review the product if it works for you - you'll either review it if you hate it or absolutely love it, otherwise there's no reason to think about writing a review.

Thanks for the link. It's always good to go into a profession knowing the downsides of it. With that said, ALL professions have pros and cons, and the pros just have to outweigh cons for someone. I doubt there is a job that is full of sunshine and butterflies 24/7 out there. A job just has to fit you and satisfy you enough to put up with the bullsh*t. In every field there will always be some who absolutely hate it, some who absolutely love it, and most who fall in between. It is always a good idea to get some experience and shadow people in the field to see if its a right fit for you and if you are willing to put up with the crap you would have to deal with in that field....because there is crap in every field... different kinds of crap, but still crap.
Wow, I feel like this post just gave away my age. Can you tell I'm no longer a young college kid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
Thanks for posting the link. I have to say nothing is perfect especially when it comes to professions. I know that in school professors try to paint a very rosy picture of occupational therapy. Even though in my program they are more realistic but I have heard that other programs dont do a good job of giving you the facts. Anyway, I dont know if the people that are posting on the indeed forum really knew what OT was before they got into it and most likely they might have just done it for the money, and usually when your doing something without having a passion for it, you get burned out easily and dont feel satisfied. Or others may have just got burned out. there will be always somebody that is unhappy or not satisfied but for the most part people are happy with their careers. I think it is extremely important that people do their research before they actually start OT school, because it may not fit your personality or you dont like people or it is not what you see yourself as. In lots of ways it can be very hard to continue if you just dont like it. I dont mean to sound obnoxious but PLEASE for everyone out there who is thinking of OT as a profession. Dont come into the profession knowing nothing about it, OT is very hard to define and you may have 10 people giving you 10 different definitions, it needs to be seen on real life in order for you to get an idea what it is all about, For me it was a sort of an ephiphany that happened when I was shadowing an OT. Sorry for the long response, but yes not everyone will be satisfied but it is really an individualistic decision if OT is a good match for someone or not.

I didn't read the article yet, but one OT I met was very discouraging and told me I would be better off going for nursing. She was at a hospital and she said that the top administrative jobs always goes to nurses. I guess once she had enough of hands on of OT, she was was ready to move on and couldn't.

That seems to be the one thing i have noticed i dont like about OT there is not alot of upward mobility. But that still depends on what a person wants from their career. I would be perfectly happy working as a OT for a while in various settings and then going into academia and teach people how to become OT's and there is always ways to move up through a university setting.

The Indeed forum is extremely discouraging and I cannot stand to go there anymore. It has sent me into panic and questioning what I want to do. OT came to me like an epiphany and for the past two years I thought I was preparing for my dream career. Now in the middle of applications I'm not so certain. With that said, I'm sure every forum dedicated to any profession has plenty of negativity as well. There are pros and cons to everything. But there are certain things about OT that concern me. Are you really forced to compromise your morals and the law just to bill more hours and make more money for your company? Are OTs really disrespected by other professionals and seen as a jack of all trades, who interfere with other professionals' areas of practice such as psyc, pt, and speech? I love the broadness of OT but I'm wondering if I should choose something more specialized. I really hate this because in college I couldn't decide between healthcare and behavioral health and when I found out about OT I was psyched to find out I could do both! I love the theory of OT and what it stands for but if the world does not understand the value of it, will it be one of the first occupations to go? I'm just ranting in confusion, but any feedback would be appreciated. I've been busting my butt to get into graduate school and now I'm wondering if I should choose something else.

I would not take too much stock in the Indeed forums.....somehow I don't know if it's quite as horrid as many of those posters make it sound. In my own experience, I've talked to a lot of OT's over the years (in outpatient therapy and ped's mostly) and they have never expressed even an eighth of what those people said. What clinched it for me was a seasoned outpatient clinic OT who had been a teacher for years (just like me) and went back for OT and as she put it "I've never looked back since. Best decision I ever made." I'm sure there are good and bad OT jobs, just as there are good and bad teaching jobs, etc. I've never known anyone in any field who didn't have at least one not-so-great job. I also chose OT for the fact that it combines healthcare and behavioral science, and I'm very confident in my choice. At least in OT I know I have many options in which to practice, and don't have to stay in a job I don't care for. If OT ends up being slightly less stressful and frustrating than my job as a special ed teacher in a public school system, then I'll be ecstatic.

Teacher2PT,

Thanks for your reply. You've eased my mind a bit. I'm just going to stick with the decision I've made. Even if it isn't what I thought it would be, who says I can't study something else later? I do think that a background in OT has endless possibilities. But maybe that's just my thinking. =)

I would agree. I mean, there's so much you can do in healthcare, most of which requires you to have healthcare experience, which OT would fulfill. And if you do decide to go back to school for something else later on, you'll still be able to make decent money doing home health on the weekends or per diem work as an OT. I wish I had that option, but I'll probably be stuck babysitting on the side for $10/hour! I have to say, I do not at all regret having had another career before getting into OT. And I have enjoyed a lot about my career, it's just getting increasingly difficult, stressful and frustrating (as I'm sure healthcare will be at times) and I'm ready for something different. Plus I am fascinated with the human body and how the brain works! Anyway, best of luck to you!

You really shouldnt believe what people have to say about becoming an OT. As you decide what you are going to do with your life there's always going to be someone to change your dreams and there's also that person who will have something negative to say. Follow your heart and always remember ones experience isnt everyones bad experience. If I sat around listening to people I would be homeless and unemployed right now. I love what I do as a health proffesional!

Teacher2PT, thanks for your advice and best of luck to you too! Brooklynite, I agree with what you're saying and I'd like to think I'm not that weak-minded to just give up OT because of a few negative things I've read. I just like to be open-minded and hear all sides and weigh it all out. Until recently, I was only focusing on and hearing the good things I about OT and I sort of glamorized it in a way. Hearing about running into problems with ethics to make more money for your boss, yet risking losing your job, is a huge issue for me. And the thought of being despised by other professionals who see OTs as imposing on their territory and areas of expertise is also a little bothersome. I'm just trying to get feedback from practicing OTs and I want to know both the positives and the negatives, what to watch out for, and how to maximize my potential. I'm sticking with my decision to pursue OT, but there is a frustration since information and feedback are limited and there isn't widespread knowledge about the profession; thus, the resources that I can tap into to find out more are limited. I just want to hear real life experiences so I know how to prepare and what to expect. I welcome all replies. =)

Thanks for all the replies. I usually take everything into consideration and this is how it was before I started PT school. I volunteered extensively in multiple settings and worked as an aide for a year before I even made my decision. I advise everyone to research into the profession and keep an open mind. In the end, my gf has decided not to pursue OT for other reasons. She is still going into grad school, but for something else. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh, that horrid Indeed forum. Please, anyone who is reading that and considering OT...do yourself a huge favor and SEE occupational therapists in real life before you make any life decisions.

When I was thinking of OT, that forum made me think again! The horror stories from so many people on there made me think "no way would I want to be an OT!" Then I went in for my shadowing hours (was going for PT at this point) at a local hospital, outpatient clinic and pediatric center. The rehab director at the hospital suggested that I also shadow a speech therapist and an OT, just to make sure I was choosing the rehab field that was best for me.

I am incredibly grateful for that, bc as soon as I actually saw real OTs in action and observed what they were doing, I realized that OT is for me. None of the OTs that I came in contact with during my shadowing time had the embittered outlook and negative attitude of many of the Indeed posters. From them I was able to get a more realistic picture of OT as a career, the potential positives and negatives, etc.

Don't make the same mistake I did, giving way too much value and weight to comments on the Internet. Yes, I realize the irony of me saying this on the internet. :p But seriously. Do some shadowing hours, and talk to some OTs face-to-face, and rely much more on the information that you get in real life than what's on the internet.

I agree that you should take what you read on the Internet with a grain of salt. I've had to abandon Indeed. I wish there were more OT forums out there. I've also chatted with many OTs. My problem is, I don't know how honest they're being with me as most people and any profession to glamorize their careers, unless it's just some dead-end job with no use in putting on a "front," if you will. Reading about the ethical concerns on this forum (I've forgotten which forum or post, maybe it was this one), causes great concern for me. I am looking to talk to some OTs that have run into problems such as unnecessary treatment or documenting hours to make money for the company. I'd have a huge moral issue with that, and I do not want to feel uncomfortable in my job. If anyone can provide further insight on that, I'd appreciate it. I still plan on going into OT, I just want to be prepared for everything, even the negatives. Thanks! =)

I graduated with a MAOT in 2009 and am currently working in a SNF. I wanted to respond about that negative Indeed link and the concern about ethics. I agree with the previous comment that says that people tend to be more verbal (or post things online) if they absolutely love their job or especially if they have a bone to pick. I find those posts extremely depressing and I wonder if most of those people were in OT for the money or to gain status like a doctor without going to medical school...those are the kind of people who will get disgruntled like that because OT is not always a glamorous field. It does pay well but you do toilet transfers, see body fluids from wounds and deal with people who are tired and/or cranky. However, if you are there for the right reason--that you are passionate about providing people with the tools to become independent and can celebrate even small gains then you will feel fufilled. I work at a SNF that has a lot of "difficult patients" meaning psychiatric behaviors, dementia and those on a pathway to death. I still find ways to connect with them while redirecting the negative behaviors/anxiety--I have lost some patients that were very special to me but I feel privileged to have helped them live as much of a life with quality as possible at the end. Someday, maybe I'll run into them in Heaven. :)

Regarding the ethics concern, I am a Christian and so integrity is very important to me. Workplaces have productivity percentages, i.e. a percent of your day that the employer expects you to be doing direct patient care. I heard of one OT who claimed that she felt so pressured that she was taking credit for the COTA's treatment time in her billing minutes and obviously was fired immediately. I think it was really an excuse. If you are organized and know how to be efficient, you will be fine. I try to keep track of my minutes as closely as possible by wearing a watch and I am honest about what minutes I spend with the patient. Plus, many employers know that everyone has off days every so often. The company I worked for even helped us brainstorm ways to provide billable services that were legitimate if we needed to increase our productivity. One issue that I came across personally was being pressured by my company to group patients together to get everyone seen. Since I have patients who were not always groupable, I simply refused to do it and grouped only those who I felt could clinically benefit from it. I never received any negative feedback from management especially since my caseload was taken care of and I was productive anyway. Just my experience, hope it helps.

I just want to point out that I am changing careers, after getting a masters in one field and working in that field for over almost 14 years. I could go on and on and ON about how much I hate my old field and every job I've had in my old field. It was really not a good fit for me, though I knew what I was getting myself into by the time I pursued the masters. Yet, I know a lot of people who LOVE my old profession... both newbies (to be expected, no burnout yet) and veterans.

So, I take these complaints with a grain of salt. What may be very true for one person is not necessarily true for another.

@lizzo
are you getting OUT of OT or into OT?

As for the infamous indeed forum, I think you should read that if you are considering going into OT. But I think it should also be noted that people, in general, are more likely to complain about something--anything--in detail than the others that enjoy a service or industry. So while it is good to hear and see all the wonderful things a career such as OT can be, it is also wise to take note of things that aren't so great. It would be naive to think something has so much upside and no complaints as it would also to think something is so horrible and disgraceful. If you are thinking about making a large purchase for an item then do your research which often means reading reviews. The same approach should be taken when thinking about making a career choice. Good stuff, guys!

I agree with OTROX, if the majority of your exposure to OT is coming from these forums then you need to do a little more research on the career. Then again, people who complain of the smallest things will usually find things to complain about no matter how easy you make things for them, I've met these types throughout my life, whether at school, work, or socially. Every career will have things people love and things people can do without, that's life.

@lizzo
are you getting OUT of OT or into OT?

Oh sorry, I thought it would clear from my other posts. I am moving INTO OT, out of another profession. My point was that I hate that other profession and I could go on and on about how horrible it is... but others in the profession love it. It's got to be the same way with OT. And yeah, as you say, we should take note of the negative comments. But, don't assume that if someone else hates it, that will be the same for us. Although it could be, so take note of exactly what it is they don't like about it, and do as much research as possible, shadow an OT, etc.. My complaints about my old field are not trivial... as it turns out, major aspects of the general culture in the profession, as well as the job tasks do NOT fit me well. I went ahead and got the masters anyway because I'd sort of fallen into the profession in a non-professional role, and I figured I'd invested so much time in it that it made sense to get the masters so I could advance. That whole "might as well stick with what I know even if I don't love it" mentality turned out to be quite wrong for me. Pretty much everything put out by the professional organization, forums of people applying to programs, and, for the most part, blogs of people in the profession, are sickeningly, misleadingly positive. I always felt that it was like they have to go on and on about how great it is, otherwise they'd fall into a deep depression about how meaningless and unfulfilling it really is. You know, delude themselves. Then I finally realized that no, for some people, the work is the ultimate engaging, fulfilling (and frankly, easy) work.

So... it's probably the same here. People have valid complaints. I have no doubt some people truly hate the field, and that there are elements many people won't like (but will just have to put up with) and elements some people flat out will hate and not be able to tolerate. But I also think that for many people, it very satisfying and challenging. I just hope I've done enough research that my assumption I'll enjoy it will end up being correct.

Last edited:
I agree with this. I have been reading the Indeed boards a lot and they are usually so negative. They are interesting but I have shadowed an OT and really enjoyed it. Mostly I am just worried about being a "glorified CNA." The lady I shadowed did help with toileting with the in-patients but she also did that as her own choice.

In any profession there are upsides and downsides. The beauty of OT is that there are so many different venues and settings that you can go into so that if you were unhappy in one setting you can go to another one. Attitude counts a lot. You can whine and complain or you can make it better. You can stay where you are unhappy or go somewhere else. Some people are never satisfied no matter what. I'm only in my second year of school but have already learned that classmates (and future therapists) that I study/work with are huge in how happy I am in an assignment or project. There will always be people who want to bitch no matter how many people wipe their asses.

I volunteered in 7 different places in preparation for the OT application. What I saw was that young OTs - (23-30) are much more likely to hate their job. 5 out of 10 are bored out of their mind.

The young OT that are ok doing the job were the kind of people that are more mature than the others of the same age. Note that I said "ok doing the job" - that's because not all of them absolutely loved it. Some had personal lives that forced them to be there and they knew that was the best thing they can do. This is not exactly "loving your job" but it's still way better than openly being disenchanted with it.

Overall I got to say that from what I saw first hand OT is a profession that most people indeed get burnt out in pretty quickly. 70K a year does not fix it. The happiest 25 year old OT I met was making 120K because of the way she worked. Who wouldn't be? Later, when I saw those bored girls making 70K I wondered if she would be as happy with 70K . If money is your only motivator you are setting yourself up.

The lesson I learned was - OT is not for immature folk. If you are young be brutally honest to yourself about your maturity level before you put the effort to go through an OT program. Yes, the money right off the bat is great. And yes, you can hate your life making them. Be wise about your choices.

I heard so many bad things about SNFs from Indeed. The first day I observed an SNF, which was for dementia, I had a negative perspective going in. Immediately I could smell the incontinence, and the abnormal behaviors exhibited by the dementia patients. Spending several hours in there, however, changed my mind entirely. I ended up liking it there. Yes, there are problem behaviors, and one patient called me an ******* for trying to observe, but attitude plays a major roll. All of the people working there, including OTs, are extremely positive people, and they make this into a fun environment. It is really what you make of it.

I am approaching 100 hours of observation and also work as an OT aide PRN, and I have yet to see anyone who regrets going into OT. The fact is that people who don't like their job will try to find a place to vent, and one of those places happens to be the internet. So there is an over-representation of unhappy people on Indeed. And they complain about things like bathing people and "wiping ass." This is in reality, demeaning and condescending towards the patient who needs assistance with bathing and toileting. It makes me question why these people went into OT in the first place. It was probably to make money. I'm sorry to say, but that is a bad idea. It takes a certain type of person to be an OT. I've performed both bathing and toileting in group homes as a DSP, and it's not as bad as these people make it out to be. If you actually care about people, it's not so bad. Rather, they have a personality that does not fit with the profession, people with self-serving tendencies that are seeking money and prestige. So when they find that the money is not necessarily great, or that they have to do activities that are repetitive and less prestigious than they hoped, they get burnt out and complain.

It's that way with all healthcare professions. People have this facade that the perfect job is out there somewhere, and that if they quit OT and went into another profession, they could find it. Well, people that complain about OT, are probably going to complain about any other health profession that they get into (it's really all about self-gratification for them). They idealize and aggrandize things, which is the problem. It's like a relationship, where they idealize someone, only to realize that that person is not all that great after all, then complain about the BF or GF to everyone and wash, rinse, repeat. Well, they need to stop idealizing and be brutally honest with their selves. Just as there is no perfect person, there is no perfect job or profession either. A job is, guess what, a job.
There are also other variables affecting job satisfaction, it's not just the OT profession itself. The agency that you work for, and the duties that they require of OTs is a significant factor. The people that you work with can make a difference too. These people work one job as an OT, then overgeneralize by saying the entire OT profession sucks. They complain about having to teach people how to put on socks. Again, this makes me question their motive for becoming an OT.

My overall suggestion is to not listen to the people from Indeed. Look at where the complaints are coming from. Look at their logic for going into OT (it's often about money and prestige). They'll say things like "this isn't worth the money," or "I didn't get a master's degree to teach how to put socks on." If you want to find out if OT is for you, than observe OTs for many hours in a variety of settings, or get a job related to the field of OT. Then ask yourself if you see yourself doing this for many years. Money should be secondary to job fit and satisfaction, it shouldn't be the primary factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have to say, do listen to the people from indeed. It will make you a more well rounded applicant. You can't only know about the good, beautiful things about OT. Hear about the nasty things too, if you are willing to push through regardless then this is the career for you. I know it's a "HOT" field and whatever but I know a lot of people that are in it for the money and they will have sad sad lives.

It's like becoming a football player. I will give you a fat contract worth millions and millions of dollars. You'll get all the acclaim. People will bother you for pictures and autographs. You will be a household name. You'll probably have your own TV show. Sounds amazing right? Now think of this - you could have multiple concussions, you could die because of the effects of said concussions (search: Junior Seau), you could become severely injured (search: Johnny Knox, Chicago Bears, WR). Do you want it because of all the press you'll get or because you love the career even after you learned about the bad things?

It's useful to hear about the things that OTs don't like. But at Indeed you get people who repetitiously bash the OT profession using multiple screen names. They'll call the profession a complete joke. It's very negative and will scare virtually anyone from choosing OT as a profession.

Yes you do have to be resilient, the work can be tedious, and you have to do things like paperwork. Burnout is likely if you consistently receive high caseloads. But that is why you get observational hours in so you know what you are getting yourself into. Most of the things they complain about are things that I have observed during observational hours, such as teaching people to put socks on after a total knee or hip replacement, toileting, miscommunication and frustration between healthcare professionals, etc. A patient even became a bit physically aggressive with me today when I was just observing. But, yeah, you may have to support people with problem behaviors. Its stuff they should have known already before investing that much time and money. IMO, these people set themselves up for failure because they were using OT as a means of acquiring money and prestige. They didn't take the time to thoroughly learn and understand the OT profession, or that you have to take a 70k-120k loan just to get the masters (which you have to pay back, with interest). They just thought it would be a good way of making money, and if you have that type of mentality going into the profession, IMO, you will become miserable. Yes it is good to make money, as that will enhance your quality of life, but that shouldn't be the primary motivator for pursuing this type of profession. It's ultimately about people.

Last edited:
What an interesting forum. Do any of you really think that an ot is a glorified CNA? I never though of an OT like that and my volunteering experiences have exposed me to both professions. I would like some of you guys thoughts on the future of ot. Is it possible for the field to phase out?

Being an OT is definitely not equal to being a glorified CNA. There is a big difference between the two. An OT is responsible for making ppl as independent as possible. A CNA is there to dress, help with toileting, etc. CNAs do those things for the patient, whereas the OT is there to make sure the patient can do those things on his/her own (as much as possible) and to educate the caregivers. Completely different roles.

I have seen OT in 4 settings, and I never thought the job was not important or was anything negative. It has a unique role in the lives of the patients it serves.

As someone who has been working in the real world, I will tell you any job can become stagnant, and a lot of jobs hit ceilings in terms of growth and pay. A lot of jobs do not pay these days too. Given the flexibility and work-life balance one can achieve with OT, I think it doesn't sound too bad. I don't think the pay is so bad either. Starting in the $50s or $60s is really not bad. (Just look at what other fields pay and demand.) Also, I never saw an OT extremely stressed or overworked. Those are things to consider.

@bhansen2 Depending on the setting, at times you may have to do work that a CNA would do. For example, if you work in an SNF or even acute rehab you'll have to help your patients with toileting and showering. As an OT, you have functional goals to help your patient do these things independently and safely. You'll be assessing, making goals, and monitoring progress, but you'll also be helping them with the task. So yes, you'll help them take a shower. Yes, you'll help them go to the bathroom. Those two tasks are not the only things you'll be helping your patient with, but it happens a lot. Showering and toileting are pretty signficant activities of daily living. If you are not okay with that then you probably should consider a setting that isn't as focused on ADLS like pediatrics, hand therapy, or outpatient.

Reactions: 1 users
I am an OT student, is anyone else in this thread one? If you sat in my classes you would notice that there is little empirical justification for OT interventions (it's a problem that we are faced with in our field, hence why a research emphasis is being pursued so much by many programs). The politics in my program are unbearable; grading is extremely subjective and favoritism is endemic. We have next to zero phd faculty members and my program is in the top 20 in the country, how that happened is beyond me.
I am disappointed that a lot of effort and a lot of debt is being put into becoming an OT and my salary will be 75k a year and quickly hit a glass ceiling.

I would advise everyone that you should look for the cheapest possible program you can get into. I'd also avoid programs where you only have 1-2 actual professors and have adjuncts teaching most of your classes. I've seen first hand how a sideshow program can quickly turn into a freakshow of personalities. Imagine having a terrible boss, now imagine that being a director of your program.
The problem is, the top schools tend to have the phd researchers. And they're expensive. I guess you could go to a cheap school and do a phd later, but a lot of the low ranked schools don't even have a research section! I'd pay extra to be involved in relevant research, but I'd like to do a phd later.

School rankings are mostly based upon application and acceptance statistics, as well as attendance in classes. I wouldn't base an opinion in rankings. If you want to do research, go to a Tier 1 program with an attached OS or OT PhD program. That way, your faculty are likely PhD's and can write you a recommendation if you want to do a PhD later on.

The problem with research in OT is that it is so different from other medical fields...much of what is relevant to us can be both qualitative and quantitative, but medical professionals in the U.S. largely work with quantitative research. Thus, we're not going to publish as much in an interdisciplinary journal as other disciplines that are strictly quantitative. That doesn't mean that what we do doesn't work or isn't valued. Go look at job availability, salary (which is largely competitive with comparable fields), and results. Many people value OT (both professionals and clients) as we make a huge difference in medical settings. We have a competitive, growing field with inimitable job opportunity. Compared to PT, we have more job opportunity, and comparable salary (especially if you account for gender disparity in pay). Compared to social work, we have much better salary, and just as much job opportunity (and we also have a comparable research base). Neither of those fields would be called into question for the reasons stated here...

On a final note, Indeed.com seems to be a place where a few older OT's have vented frustration at feeling burned out. That's understandable, but you also have to realize that 1) only a handful of people are posting their opinions there...they're not a representative sample of the population and 2) older OT's have lived through some paradigm shifts, and aren't necessarily as familiar with the recent shift towards academia in the field. Some might have lived through the largely biomechanical era, and probably have seen a lot from the arts and crafts era as well. These eras are part of our history, but not all of who we are. We have myriad approaches, models, theories, and contexts, and boiling them down to one or two things that make us seem useless or frauds is a false representation of our field.

Reactions: 3 users
I am an OT student, is anyone else in this thread one? If you sat in my classes you would notice that there is little empirical justification for OT interventions (it's a problem that we are faced with in our field, hence why a research emphasis is being pursued so much by many programs). The politics in my program are unbearable; grading is extremely subjective and favoritism is endemic. We have next to zero phd faculty members and my program is in the top 20 in the country, how that happened is beyond me.
I am disappointed that a lot of effort and a lot of debt is being put into becoming an OT and my salary will be 75k a year and quickly hit a glass ceiling.

I would advise everyone that you should look for the cheapest possible program you can get into. I'd also avoid programs where you only have 1-2 actual professors and have adjuncts teaching most of your classes. I've seen first hand how a sideshow program can quickly turn into a freakshow of personalities. Imagine having a terrible boss, now imagine that being a director of your program.

I'm an OT student and our faculty has a good mix of Phd's and OTDs. We have to take semester long quant and qual classes because they REALLY emphasize evidence based practice. They also fully fund most Phd students for at least 3 years so that's a bonus, but most people are too pooped after the master's to take advantage. The debt is daunting, but I'm looking forward to job security. Salary can be area dependent, which sucks, but there are other ways to boost your earning potential (i.e., travel OT, contract & home health work). Despite having a great experience at this point I def agree about going to the cheapest school...we'll all end up with the same letters after our names.

I hope the kiddies heard us loud and clear on this one :)
You're right.[/QUOTE]

MOT4ME, you've offered some helpful advice on these forums but this particular comment was very condescending and unnecessary.

MOT4ME, you've offered some helpful advice on these forums but this particular comment was very condescending and unnecessary.

Yeah, I gotta agree with this one. Stop treating us like idiots just because you are where we all will be in two years. Although your advice has been helpful, the arrogance saturating your posts is making me nauseous.

Getting the degree is an investment. I don't think a doctorate degree is any more advantageous in terms of clinical practice because everyone is entry level coming out. Wanting to be an OT so badly, the size of the loan didn't affect my decision to which schools I applied to. Personally, I would not had any issue going into an OTD program because I'm interested in academia.

Your student loan amount has no impact on your decision to be an OT? Are you independently wealthy? If not, it should have an impact. Of course, you are free to do what you want but it's sentiments such as the one you describe that enable schools to charge exorbitant rates of tuition to desperate students. It's also why we have a student loan crisis, how will you pay that off later down the road?

I think in your 20s it seems like it's not a big deal or not a big problem to have 100k+ in debt for a degree that will earn a fraction of that annually. Think of the healthcare costs you might have, the car insurance, car payments, home mortgage payments, if you have kids, their tuition, their need for a car? Vacation? What? All that needs some serious income, and with the debt many here are talking about it is going to impact you very negatively.

I think it's a free country, I am only saying this as food for thought. Think prior to making any decisions.

As to your comment - if you are interested in becoming an academic, an OTD is not the degree of choice for academics. A PhD is.

I am saying if I had to choose between a doctorate entry level program versus not becoming an OT, then i would had taken out the loans regardless. You are right, schools are a business just like anything else. We choose to play the game or not. PhD is better but both are eligible as they are doctoral degrees.

That's a false dichotomy, but you are free to choose and make your decisions as you wish. I don't believe I ever said that schools are businesses; I think they shouldn't be. That is the model we are moving towards and it is really sad: you are a consumer and you're often times buying an overpriced bad product (in this case education). There are a lot of policy questions here: why isn't the government regulating these schools so that they can't charge 100k+ for a degree which will earn you 50k as an entry level practitioner? Yikes. I digress.

An OTD alone is hardly a gateway to an academic career. Most academic programs search for 1- experience, 2- academic research (research that a PhD is an expert in). An OTD is a management degree, not an academic degree.

I've said my two cents, repeatedly in this thread: apply to state schools, to schools that look at your last 60 credit hours if you have to, but don't pay an outrageous cost for an OT degree if you can avoid it. Don't choose your campus based on weather, how pretty it is, or ranking even. You're going to be saddled with tons of debt, and you'll regret it when you need a car, a house, or heaven forbid you want kids.

If the goal is to become a professor in an OT department then an OTD is actually a great route to take. Only one of my OT professors have a PhD, the majority of have OTDs, and one just has her master (she not only has a job in acedemia but has a lot of things published). Unless the school is really big on research and want their professors to publish a LOT having a PhD isnt necessary as many people do teach (and not just as adjuncts) with an OTD. ALTHOUGH if the goal isnt to teach within an OT department at a school than you are absolutely correct that PhD is the route to go, OTD (in my opinion) only carries weight within OT.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a raging debate about the OTD within our field. The purpose of the OTD is a management degree to help clinicians with experience learn more management oriented aspects of OT and to implement this in our field. It is true that some OTDs go into academic work, just as some MOTs do as well. In order to be marketable as an academic- it is preferable by most departments to have a PhD, or a related are of study MS. For example a masters in public health, a PhD in sociology, etc etc. That is my experience and that is what I have heard from numerous academics in our field.

I am still struggling to figure out what the benefit is of a OTD for an entry level clinician. Will this person, with no work experience or academic publishing experience actually benefit from having this degree? Will the cost-benefit analysis pan out if this person has to pay a lot of money for that degree? I'd advise students to be very careful about taking on additional debt, even with the reasoning of desiring an academic position. The gold standard in our profession is a masters degree in OT + experience as a clinician + another advanced degree at a later time to make you marketable for management or academic work. I think an entry level OTD is putting the cart before the horse.

Like you said OTD may not benefit an entry level clinician, but if a person wants to teach (in an OT department) pursuing an OTD is a good option. Many clinician have told you that PhD is preferred, but what I'm saying is that I have heard from many people in the field (including) professors that an OTD is just as good. Clearly there are mixed opinions, but just want everyone to know both sides... OTD is not just for management (even if that was its intended purpose) because many people get it to actually teach in in OT field... I've met more OT professors with OTDs than with PhDs. One has to realize that a PhD is a research degree so if a school isn't focused on research and/or someone wants to teach, but doesn't want to do research than that's where the OTD credentials comes in... but again seems as though our field is split because you have learned one thing and I another. On another note one can NEVER go wrong with a PhD... it's a gold standard degree and well respected in all academia...

How important is it for an OT to have a creative side? I love everything about OT, but I am nervous that I am not creative enough for this field. Any input or suggestions for this?

Wow this is a long thread...All the OTs and COTAs I've met and shadowed love their jobs! I met one that had been doing it for 30 years. They found where they belong and stayed there. I've heard of this notorious indeed forum from Reddit and people say to pay it no mind. It's all about finding where you fit in. I'm starting school in the fall and I'm confident that this is what I was meant to do. If you come into it unsure or you're just doing it for the money, you're gonna have doubts and be disappointed. Just saying. Also I got into an MOT but plan to get my post professional doctorate so I can possibly teach someday. You can make it work for you if this is what you really want.

Wow this is a long thread...All the OTs and COTAs I've met and shadowed love their jobs! I met one that had been doing it for 30 years. They found where they belong and stayed there. I've heard of this notorious indeed forum from Reddit and people say to pay it no mind. It's all about finding where you fit in. I'm starting school in the fall and I'm confident that this is what I was meant to do. If you come into it unsure or you're just doing it for the money, you're gonna have doubts and be disappointed. Just saying. Also I got into an MOT but plan to get my post professional doctorate so I can possibly teach someday. You can make it work for you if this is what you really want.
so true! What really helped me decide this is what I want to do was the shadowing and seeing how much they loved their job and I could watch them work all day long. I'm just nervous I'm not creative or good enough at decision making for it