Reassurance/advice plz!??

Started by BurnniXXV
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BurnniXXV

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First post! Okay so here's my story... Screwed around undergrad, ended with a 3.1 cGPA Graduated in 2012 with a BA in psychology was an NCAA all American in volleyball and team captain, in a sorority, in a few clubs but nothing too special. Always knew I wanted to go to med school but was too scared/not committed enough to really go for it so I took NO prerequisites (thank god). Flash forward to now...finished first year of getting a second undergraduate degree, BS in neurobiology...have a 3.8 cGPA and sGPA currently, shadowing all this summer (will do ~80hrs), snagged a research position working in Alzheimer's lab and a job peer tutoring on campus...need to get on clinical volunteering When I get back on campus.
Okay so issue is, after having SO many credits from first degree it's going to be pretty much impossible to raise cGPA from both universities to over a 3.48-3.5. Is this going to hurt my chances of getting in anywhere/being able to apply to some top programs, even if my second degree cGPA and sGPA stay around a 3.8? Been freaking out, need some reassurance if anyone can lend some ! Thanks!
 
I think you are fine. Your total cGPA from both schools will be at least a 3.4 and your sGPA will be around a 3.8 right? Since it doesn't sound like you took science courses for your first degree. If you are looking to get into top programs, what will make or break you will be your MCAT score.

As a sidenote, not sure why you needed to get a second degree if your end goal is medical school.
 
Thanks for the reply! You're right about cgpa and sgpa. If I don't get in on my first attempt I'd like to apply to a smp...also getting a second degree is basically the cost of a postbacc program and is the only real way to raise my cgpa enough through more credits.
I think you are fine. Your total cGPA from both schools will be at least a 3.4 and your sGPA will be around a 3.8 right? Since it doesn't sound like you took science courses for your first degree. If you are looking to get into top programs, what will make or break you will be your MCAT score.

As a sidenote, not sure why you needed to get a second degree if your end goal is medical school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the reply! You're right about cgpa and sgpa. If I don't get in on my first attempt I'd like to apply to a smp...also getting a second degree is basically the cost of a postbacc program and is the only real way to raise my cgpa enough through more credits.

I don't see why you wouldn't get in to SOME med school during your first attempt if your stats end up being a sGPA of 3.8 and a cGPA of 3.4. Obviously this is if you score a decent MCAT. But if you score a stellar MCAT you'll obviously have more options available. Not sure how an SMP will help you when your issue will really come down to your MCAT.
 
I don't see why you wouldn't get in to SOME med school during your first attempt if your stats end up being a sGPA of 3.8 and a cGPA of 3.4. Obviously this is if you score a decent MCAT. But if you score a stellar MCAT you'll obviously have more options available. Not sure how an SMP will help you when your issue will really come down to your MCAT.
Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it!