Reassurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supernatural17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is specifically aimed at adcoms if they can please provide some input. Thank you

If an applicants academic career consisted of quite a few C's, a couple of F's and that was during the first couple of years and they then do some DIY and utilize grade replacement effectively throughout the rest of their undergrad, is that looked down upon? I ask this because I recently spoke to an advisor at my school and he told me that Even though there's grade replacement the osteopathic schools look at the whole transcript and academic history of an applicant and may look down upon the many C's and couple of F's I may have had, even though the I utilized grade replacement and improved afterwards. I'm just worried because I feel like I'm doing all this grade replacement for no reason. I understand the schools see my whole academic history regardless and see my original grades and then my retakes but I was just hoping they would see the reinvention and grade replacement as a good initiative to improve. Please if anyone can provide some input, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Also if you need more clarification let me know, I tried my best to make it clear.

Members don't see this ad.

That's exactly what the grade replacement program is for :) it's not only about improving yourself/your application, but showing them that you really do have what it takes to tackle those classes. If you were to retake a class and do the same/worse, that would be looked down upon. However, showing an improvement is exactly that.... an improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yet more evidence that most pre-med advisors have the brains of a flea.
would bringing up how bad my premed advisor a advised me be a big NoNo during an interview?

OP, I completely and wholeheartedly understand where you're coming from. I have a couple of C's, pulled my **** together junior year and brought my GPA from 3.35 to now >3.5 and my advisor suggested I do a post-bacc even though I still have senior year left...I would listen to Goro.

OP, I completely and wholeheartedly understand where you're coming from. I have a couple of C's, pulled my **** together junior year and brought my GPA from 3.35 to now >3.5 and my advisor suggested I do a post-bacc even though I still have senior year left...I would listen to Goro.
Same, he's advising me to do a masters program even though I as well have a senior year left. My gpa is currently >3.5 and I project I will be around a 3.6-3.7 when I apply. All these mixed signals but ultimately I am set to apply in the upcoming cycle. I have been on SDN for some time and have been reading all the posts about grade replacement and similar posts and have read input from People on SDN and especially @Goro input and am truly thankful for this blog. It's really been helpful. Thanks everyone

would bringing up how bad my premed advisor a advised me be a big NoNo during an interview?

Yes, don't complain and make excuses. Just continue working hard and building your application up.