reassurence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyoung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone else is in my predicament and have some spirited words. I interviewed last week at MSUCOM. The first interview was awesome, and the guy told me he was on the admission board and couldn't foresee any problems with me getting in. Then the second interview occurred. The lady was very unconversational, and it made me nervous, which made me feel as if I blew it when I left. The committee met yesterday, and I called today to find out my status. I was told my 2nd interviewer "forgot" to sign something on her evaluation and my application wasn't put to committee. I was told it will go before the board next Wednesday. I'm fairly upset, since this is my #1 choice. I have been accepted to AZCOM, so I should be grateful I have been accepted somewhere. I guess I'm just venting, but was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and it came out good in the end??????

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at MSUCOM in October. The first interview was great, and I got the same feedback about my chances. My interviewer said it was the best interview she's had in a long time, and sheis sure I'll get in. My second interview seemed to be going well, until she stopped asking me questions at 20 minutes and asked if I had any. I asked questions for half and hour, then tried to end the interview myself by thanking her for the interview, commenting on how enjoyable it's been, etc. She then looked at her watch, and said 'We still have ten minutes, we should use it. Can you think of more questions?" (Not those exact words, but that was the jist of it) I felt very put on the spot, but I continued to ask questions and tried to just make conversation. This lasted another 20 minutes. Then she asked if I applied to both MD adn DO schools (yes), where I would go if I got into both MD and DO programs (DO), and what I would do if I was accepted to only MD programs (I would go). She did NOT like that answer. We debated for another 20 minutes with her position being that I can't be serious about osteopathic medicine if I'd become an MD, and me pointing out that the end result of practicing any medicine is healing, which is my reason for choosing this profession to begin with. She said that she has had students who have said that they would reapply to DO programs and not accept the MD programs, and that my stance made me different. I said that my condemning MD programs is just as bad as MD's looking down on DO's, etc. After an hour and a half, maybe longer, she noticed the time. We had an amicable departure, bnut I was pretty sure afer i left that I would be considered "un-Do" by the adcom and rejected. I was accepted 2 weeks later. I'm a MI resident, and so are you kyoung, and I think that's a big deal at this school. I bet you get in. Good luck!

Thanks! It is good to hear my chances aren't as dim as I initially thought. I'm hoping I will be a MSU-COM student come next Wednesday, when committee meets again. I hope to see you there come August. I'll let you know the outcome! Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
If this helps any, I declined my acceptance adn decided to attend UNECOM instead. So that's at least one more seat open for you...

Doc OC - I hope you are still checking this. I talked to MSU today, thinking my app went to committee. Wrong! My evaluator, STILL didn't get it done. I'm to the pissed stage right now. The secretary told me she sent several notices to this lady. She had no sympathy for me and my concerns. Everytime the committee meets, spaces are given out, which decreases my chances. All because my evaluator can't be reached. What do you think?? And why did you chose UNECOM over MSU???

The day I interviewed there were three interviewees. One girl, a friend from undergrad, heard about her acceptance the following Wednesday. (The committee meets every Wednesday morning, and you will get a phone call acceptance.) I heard my acceptance either 2 or 3 weeks later, but now that I think about it, it may have been closer to 3. When they called, they apologized for the "delay", and said that they had trouble getting my report back from one of the interviewers (I have a pretty good idea who
smile.gif
). The third girl I recognized in a post on interviewfeedback.com. We were in contact for awhile, mostly over her long wait. She is an instate applicant, completely qualified (my impression from the say we spent together), and after SIX FREAKIN' WEEKS, she finally got her acceptance call. She was sweating too, because she wanted MSU, but had 7 other acceptances and the time for deposits was coming up soon. So if it takes 6 weeks, that may not be a bad thing.

Why I chose UNECOM over MSUCOM? Have you ever lived in East Lansing? MSU was my undergrad institution, and I spent 4 years there as an undergrad, a year as a TA and a grad, and finally moved to Maine in Dec. of last year. Some people like East Lansing and build their homes there - I hated it. it's a college town, so it's loud. There are quiet places to live, but it's a crapshoot to find one since people move all the time, and you never know who will move in next semester. I never found one. I lived in 4 different dorms, 2 houses, and 3 apartments, all in different locations but still close enough to walk. They were all very loud. Parking is impossible. I paid at least $200 in parking tickets each year, and I didn't drive to class. Sometimes, you can't even get a parking space at your apartment. Everything is on one road: Grand River Ave, which is nearly always under some kind of construction, and usually crowded. The town is overpopulated with police ever since the riots (oh yeah, did I meantion there were riots?) so you get pulled over all the time for stupid ****. I was in a parking lot accident (A guy backed into me, thought he was in drive but was still in reverse), so I had a smashed headlight for two weeks until my appointment with the body shop. I was pulled over for a light being out nearly every day. Every freakin' day! One day, I was pulled over 3 times ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL!! It's a party town, which doesn't necessarily mean that you can't get a good education, but it makes an interesting living environment, to say the least. I've lived E,N,S, and W of campus, and couldn't find anywhere that I felt comfortable living. Lansing is industrial and dirty. There are good things about the city, but you'll have to ask someone else since I'm a little biased
smile.gif
UNECOM: the Atlantic coast. Best fall colors in the country. An outdoorsman's heaven. All the things I love.

As for academics, I can't say that MSU is a bad med school because it isn't. I don't like that the bodies are pre-carved, and I know their faults, especially since I taught anatomy in that very lab.(TA) I also took that dissecting class, and loved it. YOu just learn so much seeing it layer by layer. Then again, with the pre-carved ones you get alot of diferent examples. I liked UNECOM's electives, the family atmosphere, the extreme happiness of the students at their choice of med school,how everything is in one building, the patient contact experience during pre-clinical years, I attended a few classes and was impressed, THE OMM LAB, the activities and clubs, the gym, the emphasis on rural medicine,and the plans for years 3 and 4. Most people will say that this is the school's weak point, and I can see why. The way I see it, you can do one of two things: Stay in Maine, bop around hospitals, and get experience in all kinds of different settings. Choose one of their core sites (of which there aren't many), and stay in one place for the third year. You set up your fourth year. The fourth year sounded pretty flexible. Overall, I felt comfortable at UNE, and was excited about the prospect of attending. My interview went great, and a little over a week later, I called the admissions office and asked if I got in. They actually transferred me to someone who looked and gave me the news over the phone. I've always loved the northeast, and now I live here. I hated East Lansing, and now I'm gone.

Hang in there until about 6 weeks from your interview, since we do have one example from this year of a person with good stats and excellent experience (a paramedic for 4 years) who had to wait that long. Good luck!!

Hi Doc OC,
I wanted to let you know I have been accepted to MSU. They called this morning. I'm very excited since this was my first choice. I did my undergrad there also, and I know of the riots, and partying that can go on. However, being #9 in the nation for family medicine has put it on my top list. Good luck next year! Thanks for your words of wisdom!

That's great kyoung!! Congratulations! For a place to live, there are two apartment complexes near the end of campus that you will be attending school, well, three actually. One is Berrytree apartments. I lived there, and until the boom box from hell moved in below me, I loved it. The apartments are spacious, and they have studios, 1 and 2 bedrooms. There's a pool, and it is about a 15 minute walk/2 minute by car ride from the med school. It is probably the quietest near the school. There is also Twyckingham, which is even closer. I'd say 10 minutes on foot, and driving would be silly because the complex is only a few stone throws away. The other is River Glen. I've never been in there, but it's close too. In East Lansing, houses and especially apartments are snapped up at breakneck speed, so I'd call these places this week if you are interested in an apartment near campus. Usually all the good housing is gone by February. Berrytree's number is 351-4091. I don't know the other numbers. Good luck, and congratulations again!!

Dr. OC,
Thanks for the headsup on the apartments. I'm still deciding on living by myself or with a roommate. I would much rather live by myself, but I'm not sure on money situations. Of course, since I'm going to be in debt anyway, why not be a little more, right? What are your thoughts. Did you live by yourself in undergrad?
-kyoung

During undergrad, I lived a total of 11 places. I enjoyed it the most when I lived by myself, but in EL it's pretty hard to find something affordable and close to live in by yourself. I lived in an apt in Mason by myself during senior year and loved it. However, it was a 15 minute drive to class every day, and I always had to be the one t travel to study groups at other people's houses since mine was too far. I looked for a 1 bedroom apt to live alone in for a few months, and everything affordable was not very livable. My apt in Mason was $425 a month. In Lansing, you may be able to find something in that range or less, but I'd be surprised if you did. In EL, it seems like most places are priced with the thought that whoever lives there will likely get a roommate. You'll notice in the prices, that when split between the amount of people licensed to live there, it generally works out to be an avg of $300 a head. Okemos is even more expensive. I don't think I've ever seen a place in EL for less than $400. Usually, the one bedrooms run around 500 or so, again, because they assume you'll get a roommate. (EL landlords are communists. They feel that everyone should have to pay $300, no matter where they live. If they offered one bedrooms for that price, someone might split it and only pay $150, which would be unfair to the others.) Seriously though, if you can tolerate a roommate, that is your best option if you're on a budget. If not, there is always Mason or Lansing, or these little single person houses in the student area called Garten Haus (something like that). They are on the corner of Beech and Gunson, and used to be priced at $450 or so. Dover's Crossing has one bedrooms, but I don't know how much they are. Alot of med students live there too. On another thread, someone said that Berrytree apts are not nice, then recommended all these other places, which are definitely VERY nice and yes, better than Berrytree, but more expensive. That reminded me that what I think is nice may be trashy to someone else. When I looked for housing, I looked for 1. Affordable 2. Quiet and 3. Not smelly. In EL, if you find all 3, you found a gem. I have an EL phone book, and if you want some phone numbers to call on apts, I can email you some. Also, you can look on www.statenews.com, and there'll be tons of ads. The Lansing State Journal (www.lsj.com) has tons of apt. ads too. Good luck searching!

Hey to msucom students,

your primary care program at msucom is great! you are ranked #9 in primary care nationwide, tie with UCSF. We have affiliated program with msucom here at ucsf. students from msucom are very outstanding and impressive. keep up the trend.
smile.gif

Dr. OC
I plan to start checking apartments within the next two weeks. Like I said I don't know how pricy I want to go, but I want something nice, very quiet and possibly will allow cats - I have one, but can be placed somewhere else if need be. I know I don't want something trashy, I hated living in the run down houses of E. Lansing. I would like to know more about the one in Mason, and any other phone #'s you have. You've been a great help! I wish I could return the favor! Thanks again!!!

Here are some numbers of places that are not in the "Student Ghetto" housing area. Some are "luxury apts", some are cheap, all are around a 10 minute drive to campus, give or take a few minutes. If I know the apt is on the busline to campus, I indicated that, but some may be on another busline that I don't know about. Anyway, you can start with these. There were three times this many in the phone book, I only put down ones that I have been to before.

Walking Distance to Fee Hall:
Berrytree: 351-4091
Twyckingham: 351-7166
Milford Arms: 337-8016

Hagadorn/Lake Lansing area, on Busline to Campus:
Arbor Glen: 351-5353
Brandywine Creek: 351-1278
Carriage Hill: 337-0123
Hiddentree: 337-2173
Homestead: 351-7700
North Pointe: 332-6354

Abbott Rd. Area, on busline
The Pines: 351-7177
Abbott Pointe: 332-8215

Haslett:
Benson Hills: 339-9911
Meridian: 339-9552
Nemoke Trails: 349-2614

West of Campus:
The Oaks: 336-9525

Northwest of Campus:
Woodbroook Village: 332-7150
StoneHedge: 351-6789
Timberlake: 351-6789

South of Campus:
Dover's Crossing: 393-0210
Tammany Hills: 393-1112

East of Campus:
Collingwood: 351-8745
Club Meridian: 347-1850
Knob Hill: 349-3800

Far(20 min. drive), but quiet and cheap
Deer Creek: 655-2642 (in Williamston)
Mason Hills: 676-4874

Dr. OC,
Thanks for the info. It has been a great help. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again!
-kyoung