Rec Letter Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwifriend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just a follow-up question, another one of my letter writers showed me her letter after she submitted to the school. There is a small error in the letter pertaining the amount of time I worked in a previous position. She had my resume but must have misread it when writing it. She makes this activity sound much more impressive than it actually was. Is this a problem? Should I mention it? If asked about the discrepancy in interviews, I don't want to seem like I gave her false information, but it's also a very small part of the letter, and I technically wasn't even ever supposed to see it! I don't want to make a big deal out of this and ask her to change it, but I also don't wanna lie about anything!

Just a follow-up question, another one of my letter writers showed me her letter after she submitted to the school. There is a small error in the letter pertaining the amount of time I worked in a previous position. She had my resume but must have misread it when writing it. She makes this activity sound much more impressive than it actually was. Is this a problem? Should I mention it? If asked about the discrepancy in interviews, I don't want to seem like I gave her false information, but it's also a very small part of the letter, and I technically wasn't even ever supposed to see it! I don't want to make a big deal out of this and ask her to change it, but I also don't wanna lie about anything!
This is why are argue that applicants should NOT give their resumes to letter writers. The writer should be writing what they know about you from personal experience, not repeating what is in your resume.

Leave it be. With any luck, no one will notice or bring it up at interview.

This is why are argue that applicants should NOT give their resumes to letter writers. The writer should be writing what they know about you from personal experience, not repeating what is in your resume.

Leave it be. With any luck, no one will notice or bring it up at interview.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm hoping no one will ask. It's not a huge part of my app or PS or anything.

She used the resume I had sent her when I applied to my current position (over a year ago). The letter-writing instructions I gave her from my school actually explicitly stated that she should speak to her experience so I didn't even give her an updated one. But alas, I suppose it's out of my control what she wrote. It was an incredibly nice letter, and she did spend most of the time talking about her personal experiences working with me and why I would make a good physician. She just had a couple paragraphs at the beginning discussing my undergrad stuff (to explain why she hired me in the first place). Hopefully it won't matter!

Last edited: