Jan 3, 2013
Status
I am planning on applying next year for matriculation in 2017. I was a non-science major in college who completed all the premed requirements on the side. I didn't really connect with my science professors at all in college. Yea, I went to their classes and visited their offices when I had questions, but in the intro sciences, I never really felt like I had that much to talk to them about. My advisor was in the English department. I know several of my English professors quite well, and I've asked them to write letters of recommendation before and they were happy to do so. It's possible that I have unrealistic expectations of how familiar one is before he/she is comfortable asking for a rec letter. Many of the schools I'm applying to require that you have at least two recommendations from science professors, and I'm not really sure what to do about this. I'll be taking some post bacc classes in the spring, and my plan was to try really hard to connect with those professors and ask some of them for letters of recommendation. It seems like a letter of rec for med school is a really serious thing, though, and thus, I feel a little awkward asking for one after just one semester with a professor. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, I graduated in 2012.

OP
E
Jan 3, 2013
Status
I was also going to say that I'm taking a class online this semester, and I've been in a lot of contact with the professor of the class, but will never meet him in person. It seems weird to ask him for a letter of recommendation since it's an online class. Or is that common?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
A few thoughts:

1) An online course may not fulfill and/or count to any medical school requirement
2) An LOR from such a prof wont carry alot of weight
3) You need to get the science letters.
4) Many med schools have recommendations or exceptions for nontrad students. You have been out of school for more than 2 years so you will fit that.
5) work hard on getting postbacc profs, even if short and sweet LOR to fill the requirement

Reactions: Goro

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Depending on how much time you have...the very best way to get a rec letter is to (1) find a science professor with whom you got an A in before, (2) read through their research, (3) think of a short, simple extension of their research, (4) email them about if they could supervise you on that project, (5) do the project, get it published or at least submitted, (6) ask for a rec!

Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2011
The South
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
It's that easy, huh? Just get a quick research publication, and there you go, instant LOR!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a paper in the biomedical sciences submitted for publication? You're going to need a minimum of four multi-panel figures, each with replicates.

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It's that easy, huh? Just get a quick research publication, and there you go, instant LOR!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a paper in the biomedical sciences submitted for publication? You're going to need a minimum of four multi-panel figures, each with replicates.
Nope. Try psych. Look at this article. I could whip off one of these in 30 minutes. http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mario_Speranza/publication/12556805_Alexithymia_and_depression_in_eating_disorders/links/0deec535c2feb05179000000.pdf

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So, if that was published by a professor, email them about repeating the experiment but for some other disorder, like sexual addiction or drug addicts. In essence, just repeat a simple experiment with one or two things changed, with the professor who did the first one. BAM Instant LOR!

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
So, if that was published by a professor, email them about repeating the experiment but for some other disorder, like sexual addiction or drug addicts. In essence, just repeat a simple experiment with one or two things changed, with the professor who did the first one. BAM Instant LOR!
That just sounds so wrong and more like a late night infomercial for a sledge-o-matic

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Could I write an article about "BAM! Instant LOW + Publication" on your site OldPreMeds.org? And maybe get $20 for writing it?
We dont have any program for articles and payment but SDN does.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: Avanafil