Rec Letters, Timing, Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaFuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I want to submit my app sometime next week. I'm basically done requesting rec letters, I just need to give the professors, etc. my CV, PS, and other documents. When should these letters be turned in by? I want to give them a date of when to turn them in. I just don't know. I want to give them a month and have them in by the beginning of July. Is this fine? I'm wondering if this will be sufficient time with respect to secondaries and dealing with them.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The beginning of July should be fine. The letters need to be there with your secondary. So, even if you submitted to AMCAS the first day and were already verified, you wouldn't start getting secondaries until June 25ish. Then, even if you had a 48 hour turnaround writing secondary essays, + 2 days for a random weekend + 2 days for them to review them, that puts you in July. It seems like schools don't start looking at them until then anyway even if you are a gunner.

The beginning of July is fine, and it also allows you to give out a Thank-You note in 2 weeks to gently remind your profs that their deadline is coming up.