Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Recalculation of GPA in application

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by msd848, Dec 24, 2008.

1. msd848

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have heard that when applying to medical school, the GPA can get bumped up or down a little bit?

Does anybody know the factors that lead to this? Does it usually bump down or up?? What schools get bumped?

2. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Moving to Pre-Allo.

3. msd848

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Another question... I've heard that they consider chemistry biology physics and math in the science gpa...

does this include anatomy.. physio... biochem... microbio.. etc... or just those 4 classes?

4. Anatidae

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    AMCAS has an FAQ somewhere on the website that explains it really well, but in general, if your undergrad uses a 4.0 scale with typical +/- annotations, then your GPA will be similar and if not, then they'll recalculate it based on their guidelines.

BCPM, rather than course designations, is more of a categorization of "technical" type coursework. That means that anatomy, physio, biochem, etc. will fit under a "Biology" category and be calculated into BCPM. Sometimes it's really ambiguous (like cognitive neuroscience), but for the most part, when you apply, just make your best guess according to the FAQ (which lists general courses and categories. AMCAS will correct anythiing they feel is a mistake when they verify your transcript.

5. rayden001

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Along those lines, does one's GPA get rounded up or down after verification? I believe that the AMCAS displays GPA to 2 decimal places, so what happens to a student whose transcript shows a 3.695? Does it say 3.7 or does it stay 3.69 ? Thanks

6. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would think 3.70 But not too sure. What does everyone else think?

7. rayden001

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's what I thought, but I have also heard otherwise.

8. rayden001

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  9. Pedsbro

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Remember, your transcript GPA will often NOT be the same as the AMCAS GPA. AMCAS uses it's own formula (based on a 4.0 scale, where + and - are counted 0.3 above or below, respectively). So AMCAS GPA will always be to 2 decimal points regardless of your transcript GPA.

10. JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've asked this before, but I never got a clearly defined answer. Anyone know how a school that does numerical(i.e. 3.6, 3.7, 2.4, etc.) is rated in the AMCAS gpa? On their conversion guide, they only have marks for 4.0, 3.7, and 3.3. Would they count a 3.6 as a 3.6 or move it to a 3.7 or 3.3?