recd' reading for mcat verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've done a search for this and am not satisfy with the results. anyways....i'm looking for suggestions on reading material (outside of mcat materials) that i can read to improve my mcat verbal. I've found magazines such as "Economists" and "New Yorker" quite useful. The "Wallstreet Journal" is pretty good as well. does anyone else have suggestions? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend liberal doses of eminen, wutang, and other rappers. There is a lot of
yo b1tches, what be my fricking ksp!

(it rhymes try it out loud)

or hoes hoes hoes
you think you in the knows
tell me a quickie one
7598032164+ 847015398 what be the sum.

I swear the MCAT verbal is like that.

I would do a search under my username and read all of my posts. Or at least the last 800 or so. I think that will give you a good solid grounding in many areas of human achievement. It's essentially the equivalent of a good liberal arts degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read, read, read anything, just read. Forget about the list of twenty or so stodgy periodicals that are recommended. Get in the groove of the words. Find a subject you enjoy (for me: modern American literature) and go for it. The key for the verbal is to be able to understand what the hell is going on in a short time, so practice reading fast and pay attention to what the words say. Fast reading will also save you on the rest of the MCAT as well. There are a lot of well-read SDNers, so I suggest checking out some of the forums with other folks' fave books if you need somewhere to start.

i improved my verbal by three points over the course of 2 months by doing a tremendous amount of reading. in addition to the periodicals you listed, i read harper's, atlantic monthly, the new republic, and scientific american. i also finished reading "Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie and "Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. so basically, just read, read, read, and work on quickness.

Originally posted by popeyepete
i aced the mcat verbal and didnt' read a damn thing for it. never read as a kid. probably have read a total of 40 books in my life. i can't spell and i don't know big words. however, i am naturally a good analytical thinker and mind puzzel solver. i suggest nothing but doing the passages for your course. all else is a waste of valuable time you could spend studying important stuff. might as well read mcat passages if you are going to read. atleast they are similar to the real thing. you can't become a great reader in the next few weeks...just won't happen so prep with teh course material and learn the tricks of the questions

i couldn't agree more..

Exactly, it's not a matter of reading tons of materials, it's a matter of being a good critical thinker.

jmwalker and sacrament, i doubt you guys did well on the verbal....i mean...you can't even read and interpret my original post correctly. i'm asking for recommended reading material....not a useless joke.

anyone else have other suggestions? thanks

Read practice MCAT verbal passages.

Get your hands on the Examkrackers MCAT Verbal booklet. Get it through Amazon or something, it's like $15. It's a quick read and gives you some very simple techniques and advice for the verbal section. Follow their methods step by step and you will do well. It worked great for me.

Focus on the techniques for answering questions. Reading War and Peace will do jack**** for you.

doses of 50 Cent should do the trick

I agree with the above posters.

Forget about reading all those medical journals, etc. Just get your hands on as many verbal passages as you can.

I did 5 verbal passages everyday for 3 months. Trust me, by your 23423432th verbal passage, you'd get so good you begin to predict what type of questions will be asked after reading it.

Good luck.

I agree -- doing lots practice passages is invaluable, and also seeing WHY the right answers are right. That way you can really get a sense the thinking you're supposed to do.

Also, I found that reading Discover magazine was really helpful. The level of the science content is about right to match what you get on the MCAT. Just read it, understand it, and most of all enjoy it!

I loved verbal :)