You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Received love letters/phone calls
Started by streetdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
YES! Denver sent strippers to my apartment for free lap dances, and I didn't even interview there!! Now that's love!
Well, I am assuming they were women cause my number one sent over male strippers. Which, I thought was strange since I'm a male and straight. I really don't know how to read their gesture; maybe I'm in the top 1/3. 😕
YES! Denver sent strippers to my apartment for free lap dances, and I didn't even interview there!! Now that's love!
Well if you really want to brag, I was going to post about how the PD at Cinci PM'd me and said I was their favorite poster at SDN... but i didnt want to hurt any feelings 😀 😀
(j/k i didnt interview there)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's about time. Finally some love. Letter from Geisinger today (personalized no less).
Albany - Phone call, email, dozen roses
BIDMC - phone call, received FatHead of PD
(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card, PD told me I was stong candidate - in person
Denver - non-letter (says we won't send letters), non-phone call
Drexel - handwritten note from PD, fedexed philly cheese steak
(x4) Duke-letter, cake with I love you written in icing
(x5) Emory - letter, PD requested to be my friend on Myspace
Fresno-XMas card, Birthday card
Geisinger - letter, Amish horse and buggy pink slip
Georgetown - letter, ipod with resident lecture on it
Grand Rapids-phone call, email, Bobblehead of chief resident
(x2) Highland - letter, e-mail, gypsy tears
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email, tickets to colts game
(x4) Johns Hopkins-cards, letter, sonnet
Mayo-letter, sent contract offering spot outside of match
(x2) MCG-email, basket of peaches
MGH/BWH-phone call
(x2) Michigan - email, letter comparing my greatness to Bo Shembechler
OSU - letter a couple days ago, a couple of letters a day ago
(x3) Pitt- phone call, engraved invitation
Texas A&M - sort of personalized letter, sort of personalized phone call
(x5) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL, EMAIL
(x3) UConn-email, key to city
UC-Davis - email, text message
(x2) UT-Houston - email, golden ticket

I can't even take this statement from you seriously. No one bitched but you bitches! LOL. We were happy posting everything we wanted to post and those of you with your superiority complexes decided to degrade all of those who still chose to contribute to this post.
I'm sorry you feel this way. I hope we can all get along as colleges who are striving towards the same goal of learning and providing excellent emergency care. If our experiences, advice, opinions, and knowledge can help each other I think it is great that we share with each other.
Well, I am assuming they were women cause my number one sent over male strippers. Which, I thought was strange since I'm a male and straight. I really don't know how to read their gesture; maybe I'm in the top 1/3. 😕
Just remember it was cold that night. So there was shrinkage. 😉
Ohhh...my 2 cents on the issue:
My checking of this list probably = boarderline obsessive
vs
It is something to do when I get anxious about the match (ie checking a stupid list gives me some since of action)
Maybe I should have tried to match in psych?!?
My checking of this list probably = boarderline obsessive
vs
It is something to do when I get anxious about the match (ie checking a stupid list gives me some since of action)
Maybe I should have tried to match in psych?!?
D
deleted109597
My #3 called me, and told me they would take me, but would be willing to trade me to my #1 for that program's #12 and a conditional applicant next year.
My #3 called me, and told me they would take me, but would be willing to trade me to my #1 for that program's #12 and a conditional applicant next year.
Well my #5 is willing to shell me, and their #1's for the next two years for my #1's #1.
D
deleted109597
Anybody have any blockbuster trades?
YES! Denver sent strippers to my apartment for free lap dances, and I didn't even interview there!! Now that's love!
Dude, Carolinas buys me AND my study group pizza at least once a week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dude, Carolinas buys me AND my study group pizza at least once a week.
Now I have to move Carolinas down my list because they didn't do that for me! 🙁
My #3 called me, and told me they would take me, but would be willing to trade me to my #1 for that program's #12 and a conditional applicant next year.
Taking this idea and running with it, did anyone else read this and now want the match day cermemony to more resemble say, the NBA or NFL draft with David Stern or in our case something like the RRC or CORD president standing at a podium and one by one the program directors come to the podium to hand over a card announcing their picks?
"And with the third selection in this year's Emergency Medicine Match, the University of Cincinnati selects... Fatty McFattypants from the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine."
You'd run up to the podium to shake the commissioner's hand and someone would give you a hat and a white coat from your new residency for you to don. And somewhere in the back of the auditorium you'd hear the Mel Kiper Jr. equivalent providing his commentary. "That's a strong selection for the Bearcats, because at 5'11" and 170lbs, McFattypants is in excellent physical condition for the rigors of residency. McFattypants has been extremely well coached in the past, having done an away rotation in his senior year at the prestigious In-N-Out residency program, and it shows. Rumor has it that he had a stellar workout at the interviews/combines. Given his multiple talents, there's a lot of positons Cincy could play him, but it seems they're going to start him at "Future EMS Fellow". However, with their next selection, Cincy is likely going to be looking to fulfill the position of "Future Ultrasound Fellow" considering their recent addition of two RDMS certified faculty."
Crap, it's 2am and my brain is fried and I'm afraid if I continue with this idiotic bit its just going to devolve into nonsensical gibberish. Anyway, what I think I'm trying to say is that I've always wanted to be drafted into professional sports, and how much cooler for the match would that be than "Here's your envelope."
Taking this idea and running with it, did anyone else read this and now want the match day cermemony to more resemble say, the NBA or NFL draft with David Stern or in our case something like the RRC or CORD president standing at a podium and one by one the program directors come to the podium to hand over a card announcing their picks?
"And with the third selection in this year's Emergency Medicine Match, the University of Cincinnati selects... Fatty McFattypants from the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine."
You'd run up to the podium to shake the commissioner's hand and someone would give you a hat and a white coat from your new residency for you to don. And somewhere in the back of the auditorium you'd hear the Mel Kiper Jr. equivalent providing his commentary. "That's a strong selection for the Bearcats, because at 5'11" and 170lbs, McFattypants is in excellent physical condition for the rigors of residency. McFattypants has been extremely well coached in the past, having done an away rotation in his senior year at the prestigious In-N-Out residency program, and it shows. Rumor has it that he had a stellar workout at the interviews/combines. Given his multiple talents, there's a lot of positons Cincy could play him, but it seems they're going to start him at "Future EMS Fellow". However, with their next selection, Cincy is likely going to be looking to fulfill the position of "Future Ultrasound Fellow" considering their recent addition of two RDMS certified faculty."
Crap, it's 2am and my brain is fried and I'm afraid if I continue with this idiotic bit its just going to devolve into nonsensical gibberish. Anyway, what I think I'm trying to say is that I've always wanted to be drafted into professional sports, and how much cooler for the match would that be than "Here's your envelope."
Great idea, I am with you.👍
So I was searching for old rank lists this morning and discovered that a similar "love letter" thread has appeared on SDN nearly every February since its inception.
Why the indignation over the thread this particular year? I can see the arguments both for and against these postings, but I just wonder why they haven't surfaced until now.
Why the indignation over the thread this particular year? I can see the arguments both for and against these postings, but I just wonder why they haven't surfaced until now.
Whats the significance of sending a hey I'm ranking you highly or your my number one, and not hearing anything back? I figure there are probably a ton of people sending those kind of messages and they eventually just start ignoring them? Any thoughts?
Whats the significance of sending a hey I'm ranking you highly or your my number one, and not hearing anything back? I figure there are probably a ton of people sending those kind of messages and they eventually just start ignoring them? Any thoughts?
Well, if your talking about my shop, there's exactly no significance. We read them and file them, but we don't give feedback on them. We want you to make your list without interference from us.
But for those of you with level 4 matchitis, you can call me and I'll tell you "likely match or unlikely match".
I don't know... it just seems a bit brown-nosing to email "you are my number 1" or whatever. I sent thank you cards that were expressive of my level of enthusiasm about the program AND I think my enthusiasm or lack thereof at interviews is fairly palpable. I feel too tool-ish emailing just to say "you guys kick a$$!" but maybe I am alone in this. Why can't I conform to the norm?!? 🙄
I feel too tool-ish emailing just to say "you guys kick a$$!" but maybe I am alone in this. Why can't I conform to the norm?!? 🙄
No you're not alone in that respect. I hear of people matching without having done any of this. And you have already sent some form of interest, ie in your case, thoughful thank you cards.
It seems many programs do not send love letters, or respond when an applicant sends a love letter to them. So I'm not so certain that they expect a love letter from you.
IMO, I don't see it as a concern to take a more pragmatic approach.
D
deleted109597
I don't know... it just seems a bit brown-nosing to email "you are my number 1" or whatever. I sent thank you cards that were expressive of my level of enthusiasm about the program AND I think my enthusiasm or lack thereof at interviews is fairly palpable. I feel too tool-ish emailing just to say "you guys kick a$$!" but maybe I am alone in this. Why can't I conform to the norm?!? 🙄
I wouldn't do it if the rest of the people here (and those not here) didn't do it either. Unfortunately, they all do. So it is an arms race.
In e-mail that he sent to the 4th year class at the beginning of February, my advisory dean actually suggested that we contact our top choice and let them know that they are our #1 and that we send a few other "I'll be ranking you highly" e-mails to the rest of our top 3 or so. So while SDN may have the capacity to convince me that everyone scored a 270 on their Step I boards and that everyone sent a handwritten love letter and a fruit basket to each person they interviewed with after every interview, this send an e-mail to your top choices thing is not entirely a product of overly compulsive gunners. And I imagine if our dean is suggesting it other deans are too.
However, sending these e-mails only serves to add another layer of anxiety to the process. As one of my class members publicly compared it to, sending the "You're my #1" e-mail and not hearing back from the program is like saying "I love you" to someone and having him/her respond "Uh..."
(which makes DocChez look like this
as he tries to tell himself that it may just be this program's policy not to respond)
However, sending these e-mails only serves to add another layer of anxiety to the process. As one of my class members publicly compared it to, sending the "You're my #1" e-mail and not hearing back from the program is like saying "I love you" to someone and having him/her respond "Uh..."
(which makes DocChez look like this
as he tries to tell himself that it may just be this program's policy not to respond)bump
UCSF - email
Highland - 2 calls
Advocate Christ - email
UCLA-Oliveview - call
UCLA-Harbor - email
Mt. Sinai - email
Highland - 2 calls
Advocate Christ - email
UCLA-Oliveview - call
UCLA-Harbor - email
Mt. Sinai - email
bump
AIEEEEEEEEEE! You bumped the cursed, anxiety inducing thread!!!! 😱
Temple sent me chocolate covered strawberries and Cook County sent me a line up of hot, topless men (with a promise of more to come if I went there)... oh the decisions that are thrust upon my shoulders...
do i want chocolate or that which we use chocolate to replace?
do i want chocolate or that which we use chocolate to replace?
do i want chocolate or that which we use chocolate to replace?
I got some chocolate men from Emory, so no dilemma for me 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got some chocolate men from Emory, so no dilemma for me 😉
too many dirty jokes pop to mind... maybe if i match i'll unleash my twisted sense of humor, but for now, let's continue the pretense 🙂
too many dirty jokes pop to mind... maybe if i match i'll unleash my twisted sense of humor, but for now, let's continue the pretense 🙂
The dirty jokes started with your original post...I was just too kind to post them all. 😀
Cook County - looked like something of a form email but thanked me for spending some time in the ED on a return trip to Chicago. Very nice.
Beaumont (MI) - form e-mail to the max, but I still like 'em.
Summa (Akron) - personalized letter from the PD which made reference to one of our interview topics. I felt special.
Wayne State DRH - phonecall invite from one of the residents for a post-interview season dinner (wish I could go!).
Can't think of any others right now.
Beaumont (MI) - form e-mail to the max, but I still like 'em.
Summa (Akron) - personalized letter from the PD which made reference to one of our interview topics. I felt special.
Wayne State DRH - phonecall invite from one of the residents for a post-interview season dinner (wish I could go!).
Can't think of any others right now.
Albany - Phone call, email, dozen roses
BIDMC - phone call, received FatHead of PD
(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card, PD told me I was stong candidate - in person
Denver - non-letter (says we won't send letters), non-phone call
Drexel - handwritten note from PD, fedexed philly cheese steak
(x4) Duke-letter, cake with I love you written in icing
(x6) Emory - letter, PD requested to be my friend on Myspace, Self adressed stamped enevlope to make a donation to Grady.
Fresno-XMas card, Birthday card
Geisinger - letter, Amish horse and buggy pink slip
Georgetown - letter, ipod with resident lecture on it
Grand Rapids-phone call, email, Bobblehead of chief resident
(x2) Highland - letter, e-mail, gypsy tears
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email, tickets to colts game
(x5) Johns Hopkins-cards, letter, sonnet,
Mayo-letter, sent contract offering spot outside of match
(x2) MCG-email, basket of peaches
MGH/BWH-phone call
(x2) Michigan - email, letter comparing my greatness to Bo Shembechler
OSU - letter a couple days ago, a couple of letters a day ago
(x3) Pitt- phone call, engraved invitation
Texas A&M - sort of personalized letter, sort of personalized phone call
(x5) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL, EMAIL
(x3) UConn-email, key to city
UC-Davis - email, text message
UVA - Form letter with PD HW message
(x2) UT-Houston - email, golden ticket
BIDMC - phone call, received FatHead of PD
(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card, PD told me I was stong candidate - in person
Denver - non-letter (says we won't send letters), non-phone call
Drexel - handwritten note from PD, fedexed philly cheese steak
(x4) Duke-letter, cake with I love you written in icing
(x6) Emory - letter, PD requested to be my friend on Myspace, Self adressed stamped enevlope to make a donation to Grady.
Fresno-XMas card, Birthday card
Geisinger - letter, Amish horse and buggy pink slip
Georgetown - letter, ipod with resident lecture on it
Grand Rapids-phone call, email, Bobblehead of chief resident
(x2) Highland - letter, e-mail, gypsy tears
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email, tickets to colts game
(x5) Johns Hopkins-cards, letter, sonnet,
Mayo-letter, sent contract offering spot outside of match
(x2) MCG-email, basket of peaches
MGH/BWH-phone call
(x2) Michigan - email, letter comparing my greatness to Bo Shembechler
OSU - letter a couple days ago, a couple of letters a day ago
(x3) Pitt- phone call, engraved invitation
Texas A&M - sort of personalized letter, sort of personalized phone call
(x5) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL, EMAIL
(x3) UConn-email, key to city
UC-Davis - email, text message
UVA - Form letter with PD HW message
(x2) UT-Houston - email, golden ticket
Lol, loved it!
Ok, let's stop the madness.
First of all, this post sucks. Who really cares if you got some form letter or USB drive or whatever. And it just makes other people feel bad if they haven't gotten anything from that place. In the end, whether you got something and everyone else didn't or you didn't and everyone else did, it still shouldn't affect how you rank places anyway. Yet still, I clicked on it so I'm guilty too.
Second of all, if you guys still insist on doing this, you should start a new thread. The last anonymous poster just added to last years list. I don't think that's very useful.
First of all, this post sucks. Who really cares if you got some form letter or USB drive or whatever. And it just makes other people feel bad if they haven't gotten anything from that place. In the end, whether you got something and everyone else didn't or you didn't and everyone else did, it still shouldn't affect how you rank places anyway. Yet still, I clicked on it so I'm guilty too.
Second of all, if you guys still insist on doing this, you should start a new thread. The last anonymous poster just added to last years list. I don't think that's very useful.
Just so y'all know, I got phone calls and letters last year. And I didn't match. So either a) they don't mean much b) Programs lie or c) this process is a crapshoot or d) all of the above. I vote for D.
That is weird. Keep trying if you can still make it out there. UC certainly spends more than most programs for recruiting.
Send her an email. She admits that she is terrible with phone calls.
OK you got me... Ill add mine
Albany - Phone call, email, dozen roses
BIDMC - phone call, received FatHead of PD
(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card, PD told me I was stong candidate - in person
Denver - non-letter (says we won't send letters), non-phone call
Drexel - handwritten note from PD, fedexed philly cheese steak
(x4) Duke-letter, cake with I love you written in icing
(x5) Emory - letter, PD requested to be my friend on Myspace
Fresno-XMas card, Birthday card
Georgetown - letter, ipod with resident lecture on it
Grand Rapids-phone call, email, Bobblehead of chief resident
(x2) Highland - letter, e-mail, gypsy tears
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email, tickets to colts game
(x4) Johns Hopkins-cards, letter, sonnet
Mayo-letter, sent contract offering spot outside of match
(x2) MCG-email, basket of peaches
MGH/BWH-phone call
(x2) Michigan - email, letter comparing my greatness to Bo Shembechler
OSU - letter a couple days ago, a couple of letters a day ago
(x3) Pitt- phone call, engraved invitation
Texas A&M - sort of personalized letter, sort of personalized phone call
(x5) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL, EMAIL
(x3) UConn-email, key to city
UC-Davis - email, text message
(x2) UT-Houston - email, golden ticket
Im so excited that you could knock me over with a feather... Oh and by the way I just want to let everyone know that I recently won the lottery and got engaged to a supermodel
I got a letter from OSU saying how it was great to meet me in person, etc and I didn't even interview there. I cancelled it. wtf does that mean? Can I rank them and possibly match there?? lol....
I got a letter from OSU saying how it was great to meet me in person, etc and I didn't even interview there. I cancelled it. wtf does that mean? Can I rank them and possibly match there?? lol....
That's awesome.
I got a letter from OSU saying how it was great to meet me in person, etc and I didn't even interview there. I cancelled it. wtf does that mean? Can I rank them and possibly match there?? lol....
Your reputation precedes you, they didn't even need to interview you to know how much they want you...
Send her an email. She admits that she is terrible with phone calls.
Actually, I can just head to her office now. That post is from last year and luckily, I matched at Cinci. 😉 She did end up calling, btw. 👍
Actually, I can just head to her office now. That post is from last year and luckily, I matched at Cinci. 😉 She did end up calling, btw. 👍
!felicitaciones! Muy Bien!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just so y'all know, I got phone calls and letters last year. And I didn't match. So either a) they don't mean much b) Programs lie or c) this process is a crapshoot or d) all of the above. I vote for D.
How many places did you rank//what happened? If you dont mind sharing...
D
deleted109597
Just so y'all know, I got phone calls and letters last year. And I didn't match. So either a) they don't mean much b) Programs lie or c) this process is a crapshoot or d) all of the above. I vote for D.
I will agree with D.
Even moreso after this year.
Albany - Phone call, email, dozen roses
BIDMC - phone call, received FatHead of PD
(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card, PD told me I was stong candidate - in person
Denver - non-letter (says we won't send letters), non-phone call, non-email
Drexel - handwritten note from PD, fedexed philly cheese steak
(x4) Duke-letter, cake with I love you written in icing
(x5) Emory - letter, PD requested to be my friend on Myspace
Fresno-XMas card, Birthday card
Geisinger - letter, Amish horse and buggy pink slip
(x2) Georgetown - letter, ipod with resident lecture on it
Grand Rapids-phone call, email, Bobblehead of chief resident
(x3) Highland - letter, e-mail, gypsy tears
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email, tickets to colts game
(x4) Johns Hopkins-cards, letter, sonnet
Maricopa- PD phone call
Mayo-letter, sent contract offering spot outside of match
(x2) MCG-email, basket of peaches
MGH/BWH-phone call
NYU-email
(x2) Michigan - email, letter comparing my greatness to Bo Shembechler
OSU - letter a couple days ago, a couple of letters a day ago
(x3) Pitt- phone call, engraved invitation
OHSU- email
Texas A&M - sort of personalized letter, sort of personalized phone call
(x5) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL, EMAIL
(x3) UConn-email, key to city
UC-Davis - email, text message
(x2) UT-Houston - email, golden ticket[/quote]
BIDMC - phone call, received FatHead of PD
(x3) Cincinnati-USB Flash drive, letter w/ 1-2 sentences added by the PD, hilarious christmas card, PD told me I was stong candidate - in person
Denver - non-letter (says we won't send letters), non-phone call, non-email
Drexel - handwritten note from PD, fedexed philly cheese steak
(x4) Duke-letter, cake with I love you written in icing
(x5) Emory - letter, PD requested to be my friend on Myspace
Fresno-XMas card, Birthday card
Geisinger - letter, Amish horse and buggy pink slip
(x2) Georgetown - letter, ipod with resident lecture on it
Grand Rapids-phone call, email, Bobblehead of chief resident
(x3) Highland - letter, e-mail, gypsy tears
(x2) Indiana - 2 phone calls, email, tickets to colts game
(x4) Johns Hopkins-cards, letter, sonnet
Maricopa- PD phone call
Mayo-letter, sent contract offering spot outside of match
(x2) MCG-email, basket of peaches
MGH/BWH-phone call
NYU-email
(x2) Michigan - email, letter comparing my greatness to Bo Shembechler
OSU - letter a couple days ago, a couple of letters a day ago
(x3) Pitt- phone call, engraved invitation
OHSU- email
Texas A&M - sort of personalized letter, sort of personalized phone call
(x5) UChicago-letter; PHONE CALL, EMAIL
(x3) UConn-email, key to city
UC-Davis - email, text message
(x2) UT-Houston - email, golden ticket[/quote]
Similar threads
- Replies
- 41
- Views
- 5K