Received NYU Rejection; any feedback for improvement please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graphyte

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just got rejected from NYU w/o an interview. I have a suspicion it was because I have prereqs that are currently in progress for spring semester at a community college: a statistics course and a speech course that won't be completed until may 2011. Additionally i also am afraid that my 4 quarter credits of human physiology might be insufficient in retrospect. Just hoping to see if there is any insight as to how i can improve my overall application. Thanks in advance.

University: University of Washington 2006
Major: Biology (Physiology)
Minor: Political Science
Overall GPA: 3.44
Science GPA: 3.19
GRE: 610V 780Q 4.5W

Extra-Curric: EMT-Basic certified in NY/WA as well as Nationally Registered EMT-B, CPR/AED certified for health professionals. Quit full time job, moved out of apt, and bought one way flight ticket to volunteer abroad across clinics and hospitals throughout Guatemala and Honduras for 4 months, Salsa Dancing, University Orchestra, Puget Sound Basketball League.

Volunteer: EMT-B for Central Park Medical Unit, Children's Hospital (20 hrs), UW Med Ctr bone and joint (200 hrs), Young Democrats at UW, Youth Math/Reading Tutor (96 hrs), Pee Wee Basketball coach (36 hrs), Various Clinics and hospitals throughout central america (250+ hrs total)

Observation: Outpatient (100 hrs) Acute (20 Hrs), Nursing Home (8 hrs)

Work: FT Outpatient PT Aide (1500 hrs), FT Outpatient PT Tech (current job at 1300+ hrs)
Diabetes Study FT Research Interviewer (2 yrs)
Diabetic Rat Lab Research Assistant (1.5 yrs in college)
Sports Camp Counselor (college summer)
People for Patty Murray (WA state senator summer internship)

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I'm shocked that you weren't invited for an interview. They must have done a superficial look at your prereq status and taken you out of interview pile. From looking at your numbers and the variety of hours you've volunteered/worked I think you'll be a very strong candidate next year.

Did PTCAS screw up a course designation on your application? That's what happened to me w/ Samuel Merritt - PTCAS mislabeled my Eng Lit/Comp course so SMU just tossed my application, despite my stats. So that's a possibility. Also, if you did not meet all of their min requirements, it's possible that NYU chose to toss the app because it was "incomplete."

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats look amazing! Maybe it's your personal statement. Make sure you have several people look at it. If all fails, screw NYU and apply to a different DPT program (maybe God has plans for you to be in different place).

Definitely could be due to your prereqs, personal statement, or recommendation letters. good luck!!

I was also rejected without an invite for an interview, and I was told by other schools that my application was extremely strong. Here are my stats:

University: Columbia University
Major: Neuroscience and Behavior
Overall GPA: 3.49
Prerequisite GPA: 3.22
GRE: 560V 640Q 5W

Extra-Curric: Research Assistant with the Psychology Department's Learning Lab at Columbia University (research paper was published), teach ballet to toddlers, regular New York Cares volunteer, taught middle school with after school program called the Braniacs (we taught basic neuroscience). I was also a professional ballet dancer for both the Boston Ballet and the Pennsylvania Ballet.

Volunteer: about 150 hours in neuro rehab, out-patient, and in-patient and a couple hours in a nursing home.

The most obvious similarity between our stats is the low prerequisite GPA, but I've seen other applicants that were accepted with GPAs around the same range. I believe my application was rejected because I didn't tailor my personal statement to their program. I am almost positive I want to get a Ph.D/Ed.D later in life, and I made a point of emphasizing that I want experience in research while I'm in D.P.T school - not what NYU wants to hear. Do you honestly believe that you would be a good fit for their school? Even if you have great stats, they are looking for people who are compatible with their mission and teaching methodologies. Maybe they saw something in your application that suggests you are not a good fit for their school. If you really want to go, call and ask exactly what turned them off.