Recent Grad AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifetime2Drill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many recent army HPSP students want the one-year AEGD but are denied? Are all the slots full or is pretty much anyone who wants it can get in?

Note: Recent posts have indicated that AEGD slots are wide open. Sorry to bring it up again but I sort of want verification on that. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many recent army HPSP students want the one-year AEGD but are denied? Are all the slots full or is pretty much anyone who wants it can get in?

Note: Recent posts have indicated that AEGD slots are wide open. Sorry to bring it up again but I sort of want verification on that. Thanks.

All of my classmates, regardless of branch, that wanted an AEGD got one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just starting dental school next year and applying for a Navy scholarship. I assume the AEGD adds another year to your commitment? Also, does the AEGD typically happen right after you finish dental school or later?

I'm just starting dental school next year and applying for a Navy scholarship. I assume the AEGD adds another year to your commitment? Also, does the AEGD typically happen right after you finish dental school or later?

The AEGD is a neutral year, meaning that it does not payback any HPSP time, and usually happen as your first duty assignment after d-school. Since most sets of orders are for 2-3 years most people are getting ready to get out after their first assignment or specialize if they plan on staying in.

I was told that more got turned down for the Army AEGD (1yr) than got accepted. But that was before they went down the list and offered the positions to the accepted applicants. Many of them declined which opened up the spots for others. I'm not sure how many ended up being passed over.

I was told that more got turned down for the Army AEGD (1yr) than got accepted. But that was before they went down the list and offered the positions to the accepted applicants. Many of them declined which opened up the spots for others. I'm not sure how many ended up being passed over.

Sounds like a BS recruiter statement. Jesus, they're so full of it.

With everyone required to apply for the 1 yr AEGD (they can turn it down if they get it and don't want it), all the slots last year were filled. Those who applied to specialty training right out of school obviously turned it down, also others that decided they didn't want to do it. Last year they did end up going through most of the list to fill all available postitions.