Recent SMP graduate looking for advice reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted923806

I recently graduated from an SMP and will be applying for the 2021 cycle at the end of July. I’m wondering if anyone has any advice about my application and what MD schools may be in my range. I applied in the 2020 cycle before I started the SMP and was waitlisted at my instate MD school. I am hoping that now that I’ve graduated from the SMP, admissions will look at my application differently (as opposed to last year while I was still enrolled).
  • Graduated in 2019 as a biology major with a sGPA= 3.1 and cGPA=3.4. I had an upward trend but then finished with a poor last semester, which significantly brought my sGPA down (No F's or D's, but multiple C's).
  • Graduated from the SMP this past Spring with a GPA=3.56
  • MCAT=507 (from 2018) …However, I am retaking it in August and believe I can improve my score to a 510-512+.
  • I have 90 hours of shadowing and a few leadership roles in student organizations where I spent a significant amount of time (1200 hrs). Most of my volunteer work is with these organizations, as I was the organizer/manager for multiple community service events (350 hrs).
  • I do not have any research experience but hope to find an opportunity to get involved in some over the next year. I am also trying to get a job in a clinical setting to work at over the next year.
I understand that the top tier schools are likely out of my reach, but do I have a good chance at some mid or lower tier MD schools with an improved MCAT score? Any advice/input is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For MD, I think your best chances are just the TN state schools (ETSU, UT, UTHSC).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
I'd advise DO as well. You're competing with first-time 3.7/512'ers with nice ECs too.

These are some of the 'low-yield, no state bias, mid-range' schools:

Albany
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
Temple
Tufts
Tulane

I recently graduated from an SMP and will be applying for the 2021 cycle at the end of July. I’m wondering if anyone has any advice about my application and what MD schools may be in my range. I applied in the 2020 cycle before I started the SMP and was waitlisted at my instate MD school. I am hoping that now that I’ve graduated from the SMP, admissions will look at my application differently (as opposed to last year while I was still enrolled).
  • Graduated in 2019 as a biology major with a sGPA= 3.1 and cGPA=3.4. I had an upward trend but then finished with a poor last semester, which significantly brought my sGPA down (No F's or D's, but multiple C's).
  • MCAT=507 (from 2018) …However, I am retaking it in August and believe I can improve my score to a 510-512+.
  • I have 90 hours of shadowing and a few leadership roles in student organizations where I spent a significant amount of time (1200 hrs). Most of my volunteer work is with these organizations, as I was the organizer/manager for multiple community service events (350 hrs).
  • I do not have any research experience but hope to find an opportunity to get involved in some over the next year. I am also trying to get a job in a clinical setting to work at over the next year.
I understand that the top tier schools are likely out of my reach, but do I have a good chance at some mid or lower tier MD schools with an improved MCAT score? Any advice/input is appreciated. Thanks!
BTW i was accepted to ETSU, and out of all my acceptances it was my top choice until i got off the WL in my state school (which was always my dream school). ETSU is a wonderful place. I was very excited. I dont think i have ever met more supportive faculty and administrative staff anywhere else i interviewed (besides my home school).

Try your state MD school, and DO school. That SMP GpA should have been higher for other MD.