Recent USC Interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalHope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what % filled the class is now. Pre-March 6th, I know it was 25%, and from predents it seems many people will be turning down their acceptances. Any updates would be very much appreciated.

"Fight ON"

Members don't see this ad.

Someone else posted this recently from the USC website:
"Applicant interviews are conducted October through April. Generally, the class is assembled on the following cycle: December 1 – one quarter; March - one quarter, mid-April - one quarter, end of May - one quarter. After June 1 students are selected from the alternate list as needed to fill the class. Acceptances can be extended as late and the first day of classes. All applications remain under consideration until a final decision has been reached."

http://uscsd03.usc.edu/dental/admissions/applicant.htm

Anybody else know anymore than that??

I know from a personal source that the class generally does mainly fill up throughout march. April interviews are not necessarily for the waitlist but you are competing for very very few spots. However, this year USC has had a little bit more difficult of a time filling up the class but at the same time this year they received the greatest number of applications. Dentalhope, I feel for you, I'm also a huge USC hopeful but our chance are very low my friend. But you never know... So goodluck to you...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the interview counts very much. It was so laid back and more to hear about the PBL curriculum and to learn whether or no that is for you.

During the interview, they said that they would be meeting and making decisions once a month. So, based on that and believing what was on their website, I was guessing that there would be another wave of acceptances in April and May. Do you think so?

For those of you waiting to hear, including myself, good luck!!

I know from a personal source that the class generally does mainly fill up throughout march. April interviews are not necessarily for the waitlist but you are competing for very very few spots. However, this year USC has had a little bit more difficult of a time filling up the class but at the same time this year they received the greatest number of applications. Dentalhope, I feel for you, I'm also a huge USC hopeful but our chance are very low my friend. But you never know... So goodluck to you...

I interviewed Feb 15th so I am just waiting.

Well in that case... goodluck man... you are in good shape... Im sure it'll come through just wait it out...

I interviewed on Wednesday, and I think I remember them saying that there were a large number of seats left. I forget the actual amount.

USC's interview was a weird one for me. There were a lot of people there (almost 30 I think) and the PBL session. I disagree with what someone said earlier that the interview doesn't really matter. I interviewed last year as well, but I didn't get in. I'm almost certain it was because I stayed quiet for the most part during the mock session.

There will be two staff members in your group, and they are taking notes on your behavior.

I thought the tips one of the students there after the session and during lunch gave were worth mentioning, but of course take it with a grain of salt as it is my memory and he's not on the committee.

Do: address people by their names, encourage, speak up, be polite
Don't: be overly aggressive, cut people off, be too passive.

They say they want to see if you'll be right for the PBL curriculum, which is what they do in the session by assessing how well you contribute to the dynamic of the group.

I predict that the next bunch of acceptances will be the end of the 1st week of April. I have no real information to base that on, just a guess. I'm going to try NOT to think about for the next several weeks. Waiting is agonizing!

Do: address people by their names, encourage, speak up, be polite
Don't: be overly aggressive, cut people off, be too passive.

They say they want to see if you'll be right for the PBL curriculum, which is what they do in the session by assessing how well you contribute to the dynamic of the group.

Like you said, they are trying to see if you are right for the PBL..... so I am just going to be myself when i Interview on the 19th...... The way I look at this interview, USC really has to impress ME not the other way around.... It is going to be nice having an interview with absolutely no pressure...

I interviewed on Wednesday, and I think I remember them saying that there were a large number of seats left. I forget the actual amount.

USC's interview was a weird one for me. There were a lot of people there (almost 30 I think) and the PBL session. I disagree with what someone said earlier that the interview doesn't really matter. I interviewed last year as well, but I didn't get in. I'm almost certain it was because I stayed quiet for the most part during the mock session.

Amalgam4U

When was your interview last year? And do you think the only reason you did not get in was a bad performance in th mock PBL session?

Did you get waitlisted at UNLV, dentalhope?

Members don't see this ad :)
Amalgam4U

When was your interview last year? And do you think the only reason you did not get in was a bad performance in th mock PBL session?

My interview last year was in February, I think. I'm pretty sure it's one of the main reasons I didn't get in.

Although the admissions assistant did stress that USC is looking for self motivated, well rounded individuals that look to give back to their communities and reach out to under served populations. Their averages for GPA and DAT's went down last year probably due to those considerations.

@ someone who asked about the writing sample: I don't know if it's polite to tell about the specific prompt, but it's only about a half page and you get 15-20 minutes to complete it. It's a relatively broad prompt with no previous knowledge required. Same with the PBL.

Anyone know what the writing sample is all about? What kind of topics or what kind of problems they present to us in the PBL?

Both of these are very simple, straightforward topics with no real previous knowledge required.

For the writing sample think along the lines of "what is your favorite color?" or "what is the last movie you saw?" (not actual topics I encountered). I believe they just want to make sure you can write down thoughts in a coherent manner since you will be making summarized packets for the rest of your group every other day.

Also a middle school student would have enough knowledge to participate in the mock PBL case. They don't want to make this hard in order to just see how you interact in a group environment.

I interviewed on Feb 29. Since then I got a package in the mail telling me that I passed the interview and I am moving on to the next phase of the acceptance process.

I hope to hear something soon, I really want to get into this school.

I interviewed on Feb 29. Since then I got a package in the mail telling me that I passed the interview and I am moving on to the next phase of the acceptance process.

I hope to hear something soon, I really want to get into this school.

hmm. you don't pass an interview. everyone who interviews get that letter.
i think they will send out next rounds of acceptances in first week of april. good luck everyone.

So no one who interviews gets a rejection? What's the point of the interview then?

So no one who interviews gets a rejection? What's the point of the interview then?

of course you could "not get accepted" after the interview. i am not sure if they will send a rejection letter though.

point of the interview is mostly for us to find out more about USC (school, clinics, financial aid etc), see if PBL will be the right fit for us, and for them to see how we do in that pbl part of the interview.

I applied to USC two years ago and received an interview. After the interview, they didn't send a "rejection letter" until after classes have started. Basically, everyone who receives an interview is put on their "waitlist/alternate" list and they pull from that. They don't send rejections until after orientation/classes have begun and they are sure that they have their 144(?) students.

This was the way that I experienced the USC interview/application process in 2006. I think that it is still the same. I interviewed with SC last month, turned in the same form saying that I am still interested (after the interview), and haven't heard from them since.

Hope this helps.

What form saying you are interested?

Sorry for the late reply (finals week:eek:)

After the interview, the admissions offices mails you a packet letting you know that you are now a post-interview "alternate/wait list" candidate. In that packet is a form that you send back if you are still interested in the school. I think they do this because some interviewees are turned off by PBL once they "are exposed" to it. Anyway, thats the form. If you send it back, they keep you on their "list" of applicants to consider. If you don't, they assume that you don't want to go there anymore.

So I had my interview at USC FEB 20. At the interview, one of the speakers told us that at that moment only 25 percent of the class was filled. In addition, he said that out of the roughly 3000 applicants, 500 will get interviews for 144 spots in the class. From that 144 you have roughly 109 spots left as of FEB 20, and it is safe to assume that they must be excepting probably close to double to fill 144 spots. I got accepted on March 6 which put me at 2 weeks and one day after my interview. Hopes this helps for some.

I interviewed in Feb and looks like there were several interview dates in March. Is that it or is USC interviewing in April too?

I have an interview March 28, and the lady I spoke to told me it was the last interview date.

Here's hoping that everybody gets into USC who wants to get into the class this year!

It seems that a lot of predents apply at USC, but choose another school. Do you think they need all 500 interviewees to fill the class? That would be cool, then we'd all get in.

To give everyone a better idea of how things work, at our orietation last year, they told us they accepted ~50% of the people they interview (~288) to fill the class of 2011. However, this year, they have stopped interviewig much sooner than they normally do, so this may be an indication of the number of people attending USC this Fall (i.e. more people have accepted the offer earlier on than last year).

Good luck to everyone who interviews!

Hey bigrobbob,

Anything in particular you could give me some advice on? What you did good and what I should not do during the interview at USC? My interview is on march 28, any advice?

Thanks

It's just going to confuse everyone as all the talk in this thread is from last cycle.

I agree...I wonder why it is bumped up! It belongs to last cycle post December interviews.