Recently accepted Trinity students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fathead Minnow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I though i might start a new thread for the recently accepted Trinity students so we would have a place to introduce ourselves and pool our information in hopes to make better decisions. It's just an idea, let me know what you think and we'll see how it pans out.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, congrats and good to have you on board! :cool: Wow, the admissions porcess this year for Irish schools has been painstakingly slow:( I hope we have more Trinity-bound folks here soon!

Hello,

Excited to be on board. The acceptance letter said "up to 20 NA students" are admitted to TCD...we'll see if we get anywhere close to that in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,
I have been accepted to Trinity, but debating between staying in north America and going to St. George's in Grenada, I know that for some people it's a no brainer, but there is quite a few things to consider, I know that St. George's has good reputation and places students well in residencies that I am interested in, however I am still trying to figure out which one of these two schools would be better for me and help me get back into Canada. I also already have several years of experience in working with patients as a primary health care professional in Canada. What's your educational background? Have you already decided on Trinity?

Thats a tough decision, i don't know much about the Caribbean medical schools but from what i hear Trinity has a very good international reputation. As for myself, i will be finishing up my MSc. in Biology this summer and then be heading down to Dublin for year one in October. What about everyone else?

"up to 20 NA students" are admitted to TCD...we'll see if we get anywhere close to that in this thread.

heheheh..this doesn't make me feel so bad about my rejection letter :p

so we are currently at 4, one of which is a maybe

make that 5 at this time ^_^

make that 5 at this time ^_^

Awesome applepark...Congrats on your tough decision...hopefully you'll be happy with the one you made :)

Thank you! Thank you!

I'm stoked about the whole thing. I guess I have to reserve a spot in Student Housing now tho. T_T

Age/Sex: 25F
Undergrad: UBC
Hometown: Vancouver, BC

Hey Everyone!

I too will be attending Trinity in the fall. I'm so excited to move out to Dublin, even if that means eating Kraft dinner for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Congrats to everyone who has made it this far.

I was also wondering the demographics of those N Americans that got accepted, if you guys are willing to share.

Undergrad: Queen's University
Hometown: Niagara Falls, Ontario

I'm so excited to move out to Dublin, even if that means eating Kraft dinner for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
You can't buy it in stores here so prepare to bring lots yourself or to buy it on the black market from other Canadians!

Bring peanut butter too. Irish peanut butter is horrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Demographics eh?.... Alright

Age/Sex: 25M
Undergrad: University of Saskatchewan
Graduate: University of Saskatchewan
Hometown: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Someone else mentioned that to me. MAKE SURE YOU BRING KRAFT DINNER AND PEANUT BUTTER.

hahahaha.. I find that very funny...

I have been accepted to Trinity and Galway and can't decide. I have like one day to figure it out!!! Can someone help me? Is one better then the other??

ultimately, neither is "better" than the other. You just have to decide based on location and personal preference. Would you like a big bustling city with more city-minded people (ie. some unsupportive admin, brusqueness but a lot of things to do and see, a lot of history) or more of a quiet rural less populated city? NUIG campus is also open-plan while Trinity's is closed...both are nice. Personal preference.

Has anyone secured any accommidations as of yet?.... If so, where?

Has anyone secured any accommidations as of yet?.... If so, where?

I emailed the contact email provided in the acceptance letter regarding accomodation ([email protected]) to ask them some questions. I did this a couple of days ago and I haven't heard anything from them. A little disapointing but nothing I can do.

Hey
I've been accepted to Trinity too! I haven't heard back from UCD or RCSI, but I've already paid my deposit, so it looks like I'm going to Trinity!
Congrats everyone!:thumbup:

Undergrad: Dalhousie University (Canada)
Masters: Maastricht University (The Netherlands)
Hometown: Vancouver, B.C.

I rarely eat peanut butter back home but I ate a ton here. It's not bad at all! I don't think there's much difference.

I rarely eat peanut butter back home but I ate a ton here. It's not bad at all! I don't think there's much difference.
I have never disagreed with anything as strongly as I disagree with this. I will argue to the death on this point. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Irish university education standards and residency application procedures but this is undebateable.

Fact: Canadian peanut butter >> Irish peanut butter!

Has anyone that paid the 4000 Euro fee heard back from Trinity yet? I received the ABP email, which was very useful, but i am yet to receive/hear anything from Trinity themselves. It would be nice to know if they recieved my payment and whether or not i have locked a seat in the 2007 class. Anyone????

FHM

I have called ABP regarding the same question, they said that they acknowledged my deposit since I faxed the confirmation from the bank, meaning that everything is fine, and ABP will make sure that TCD receives the funds.

I am just curious, when are first year Trinity students planning on heading to Dublin?

I am just curious, when are first year Trinity students planning on heading to Dublin?

So I just booked my ticket this week and I'll be leaving on Sep 27th. In the aceptance letter they said that registeration is on Oct 5th so tha should give me a week to adjust hopefully.

How about you?

I just booked my flight for the 1st of October. Has anyone applied for accomodations yet? Another thing, i have an air miles credit card, does anyone know if we can pay our tution with a prepaided credit card?

I just booked my flight for the 1st of October. Has anyone applied for accomodations yet? Another thing, i have an air miles credit card, does anyone know if we can pay our tution with a prepaided credit card?

Oct 1st...awesome man!!! Do you mind if I ask you how much you paid for your flight? And when did you schedule the return ticket?

Yeah, I applied for accom at trinity Hall: Modern rooms, single bed with private bathroom. I paid my online fee for the application but haven't heard whether I got a room or not. Anybody else apply for Trinity Hall and heard back?

I was fortunate enough to used Aeroplan airmiles to pay for my flight, so i don't know the actual cost. I booked a flight home for December 21st and i would recommend to everyone else planning on coming home for Christmas to booking soon before all the Christmas flights filled (especially if your using airmiles). Trinity 2007-08 time table states that the last day of class for term1 is on December 14th. I heard from other Trinity students that exams run a week after the last day of classes; thats my reasoning for the 21st.
How much was your down payment for the Trinity Hall accommodation?

I was fortunate enough to used Aeroplan airmiles to pay for my flight, so i don't know the actual cost. I booked a flight home for December 21st and i would recommend to everyone else planning on coming home for Christmas to booking soon before all the Christmas flights filled (especially if your using airmiles). Trinity 2007-08 time table states that the last day of class for term1 is on December 14th. I heard from other Trinity students that exams run a week after the last day of classes; thats my reasoning for the 21st.
How much was your down payment for the Trinity Hall accommodation?

I booked my flight home during on Feb 16th. I need to come home during that time so I'm gonna spend Xmas in Dublin. On the exams and semester topic, there's a break between 2nd and 3rd semester. Are there exams there too? And where did you find the exact dates for the end of the terms?

As for the accom. I actually didn't pay the deposit. I only paid the application fee, which is 16Euro. If I'm accepted into the hall then I think the deposit I'll have to pay is 160E. I'll let you know when I hear back from them
Cheers

I booked my flight home during on Feb 16th. I need to come home during that time so I'm gonna spend Xmas in Dublin. On the exams and semester topic, there's a break between 2nd and 3rd semester. Are there exams there too? And where did you find the exact dates for the end of the terms?

I got all my information for the exact dates from this website: http://www.tcd.ie/ISA/int/intstudyingintcd.html#termdates. Yes, there is a break between the 2nd and 3rd term and i do think we have midterms around that time, when exactly? I don't know. I just applied for the modern room as well, hopefully we meet the right criteria. I'll let you know if i hear back from them also. Did i hear correctly? there is a gym on campus?

There is a gym on campus. It's nice...but don't expect much.

I've done this with several groups in the past... if SDN first years would like to meet up to meet each other/ask questions, I'd be more than happy to meet with a group of you to talk over things. Just over a drink or two :).

There is a gym on campus. It's nice...but don't expect much.

I've done this with several groups in the past... if SDN first years would like to meet up to meet each other/ask questions, I'd be more than happy to meet with a group of you to talk over things. Just over a drink or two :).

That's awesome Leorl...although this forum helps answer a lot of our Qs it would be great for us to meet with you in person. I would love to take you up on the offer when I arrive in Dublin. We'll organize it latter.

Thanks in advance Leorl

Count me in! I would love for someone to show me the ropes when i get there and i'm always up for a few drinks. Leorl do you know if we can pay tuition via visa? I emailed administration but i haven't heard back from them yet.

About the visa, Tution is freakin crazy...it turns out around $35-37 grand Cnd. Would your visa have that much credit in it? It seems like a great idea though so that we can get points on it that way. :)

I started a thread about health insurance, but I'm still not really sure about what I should do. Are any of you guys not getting insurance? Am i the only crazy one who's not signing up with this vivas company? I don't wanna be laughed at when I'm on a stretcher...hearing people say, "there goes that idiot who didn't pay for insurance!!!!"
:)

Sorry Trinners i missed that previous message you left. You are correct, i phoned admin the other day and you can pay online with visa. 65,000 points for a return flight from Canada, therefore one years tuition will pay for a one way flight home a year. Sign me up! i'm cutting financial corners where i can considering i'll be 300k (at least) in debt when i'm done. As for health coverage, i don't know yet. Whats the consensus from current trinity students?

I started a thread about health insurance, but I'm still not really sure about what I should do. Are any of you guys not getting insurance? Am i the only crazy one who's not signing up with this vivas company? I don't wanna be laughed at when I'm on a stretcher...hearing people say, "there goes that idiot who didn't pay for insurance!!!!"
:)

There are 2 other healthcare insurers in Ireland... I don't know how they compare price-wise, but worth investigating:
http://www.quinn-healthcare.com/
http://www.vhi.ie/

As regards getting insurance... If you're not an EU citizen (ie- don't have the European Health Insurance Card), you'll have to pay some hospital charges if you're an inpatient. The College Health service is free and very good but be prepared to wait for an appointment.

I'm Irish and I have health insurance...I think you're mad not to have health insurance, esp if you can afford it!

Just my 2 cents worth :)

(Just as an aside... Go to a dentist before you leave home and make sure you get any work done there... Dentists charge insane money in this country to do anything simple.)

I didn't have health insurance for awhile because I was cheap and didn't want to pay it :). However, it's sort of stupid...I was just assuming that nothing was going to happen to me, even though I'm involved in sports and cycle everywhere. Then my mom panicked and made me buy Vivas...which had other benefits like paying for or compensation partially some physiotherapy appointments/eye exams/glasses/contacts/dental visits. And then I went an dislocated my shoulder when I came off my bike, so I was glad to have insurance then... :) just stupid little stuff. I did some researching and Vivas did seem to be offering the cheapest deal at the time. It's not very much...something like 400 for the year. But see if you can get insurance via mom or dad's employment first. I did that til I was 25.

No problem about meeting up with people. I just give the scoop on explaining the exam system and tricks of the trade, since that system is very different from the exam systems you've grown up with. Also about balancing different activities, how to get what you want with the least inconvenience/grief to yourself as possible (based on past experiences!) and just answering questions in general. How to fit in USMLEs and how to get electives. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about stuff like that, but really...the earlier the better because when we got to that stage we all wished we knew it from the beginning.

Hi, Trinity's on-campus accommodation deposit for 2007/8 is Euro 250. Received an on-campus offer yesterday in the mail. Also, the fees for accommodation are higher than what is listed on-line (looks like the folks at Accomodations haven't updated yet).

I was under the impresion first year med students couldn't get on-campus accomidations? So we can?

Yes, as long as you applied on-line for on-campus accommodations and specified Trinity Hall (I think that's the only option for over-seas students but I could be dead wrong) or wherever else...it took over a month to receive a reply regarding their decision.

Just how bad is the peanut butter in Ireland? And is it available in crunchy or smooth style?

Hi, Trinity's on-campus accommodation deposit for 2007/8 is Euro 250. Received an on-campus offer yesterday in the mail. Also, the fees for accommodation are higher than what is listed on-line (looks like the folks at Accomodations haven't updated yet).

Congrats on getting the trinity hall room. When I applied to for a room there, I don't think there was an on campus option. I understood that Trinity hall is an off campus accomodation?!?? I talked to the accomodation office and they said it's around 15 min with the bus or 10 min with the train. So I'm not sure if there was an "on campus" Trinity Hall.
Either way, how long do you have to pay the deposit? I'm still waiting for the decision on my application.

Yes, as long as you applied on-line for on-campus accommodations and specified Trinity Hall (I think that's the only option for over-seas students but I could be dead wrong) or wherever else...it took over a month to receive a reply regarding their decision.

Ahhh Trinity Hall.... thats the off-campus accommodations.

It's unlikely for a first year to get on-campus rooms proper. First years are offered Trinity Halls, which is technically off campus. They're nice, a little far away but ah well. Peanut butter isn't that bad here.