Recently accepted Trinity students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks everyone...oops, my mistake, didn't mean to create further confusion:oops: I didn't realize Trinity Hall was considered off-campus (2.5 miles away from Trinity college itself, right?) I basically categorized housing into 2 categories: 1) affiliated with the university 2) not affiliated with the university.
I'm not a 'Kraft Macaroni & Cheese' person so I'm opting for peanut butter.;)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting the trinity hall room. When I applied to for a room there, I don't think there was an on campus option. I understood that Trinity hall is an off campus accomodation?!?? I talked to the accomodation office and they said it's around 15 min with the bus or 10 min with the train. So I'm not sure if there was an "on campus" Trinity Hall.
Either way, how long do you have to pay the deposit? I'm still waiting for the decision on my application.

Yes, sorry, I meant off-campus Trinity Hall. The Accommodations office requires the Euro 250 deposit within 21 days of the offer...my letter was dated June 14th, I received the letter in the mail on June 19th. You can pay the deposit on-line with a credit card once you receive your housing offer. The Accommodations office divides annual housing costs into 3 payments---according to the letter, the first payment is due on September 14th. Hope this helps!

I just had a conversation with a Candian med student and he said that first yr courses of Med school in Ireland covers basic sciences. Would anyone know where the curriculum for 1st yr at TCD is located on the web? That is, course listings?

I don't mind covering the basics of science courses but is all 1st yr a review of undergrad? And if so, which courses are included: O chem, Biosynthesis, Classical Genetics, etc. ??? Anyone have any info on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had a conversation with a Candian med student and he said that first yr courses of Med school in Ireland covers basic sciences. Would anyone know where the curriculum for 1st yr at TCD is located on the web? That is, course listings?

I don't mind covering the basics of science courses but is all 1st yr a review of undergrad? And if so, which courses are included: O chem, Biosynthesis, Classical Genetics, etc. ??? Anyone have any info on this?

First year at TCD for the 5 year program last year covered Anatomy (except head and neck), Biochemistry, Physiology and Behaviorial Sciences (a phychology course). Not much basic sciences in there as they are covered in A levels for all of the Irish students and all of the NAs have it in undergrad etc. They have eliminated the pre-med year in which the basic sciences were formerly taught.

Congrats All on your acceptances!!! If anyone feels comfortable can you post your stats, gpa,mcat etc. Thanks and best of luck being great docs!

Hey all. I called the accommodation office the other day because I had originally wanted a shared twin room in Trinity Hall (to save money), but they gave me a single modern instead (so expensive!) She explained that I would probably be sharing it with a 17/18 year old, so highly suggested against. Anyway, she informed me that I have 3 Canadian med school room mates! That got me kinda excited. Perhaps one of them is you! If you can call and find out your room mate profile, we can sort out things for our apt! I'm bringing a rice cooker....for instance!

Hi,

Just wondering if any 2nd or 3rd yr Trinity students know if there are any mornings or evenings free in the first yr timetable. I am hoping to get some parttime work during the week.

Tanx :)

i think in general, you'll be 9-5 or 9-6. I know finances and all, but I wouldn't really recommend working during the school years, unless you do just weekends. In order to make the most of your time here, you should try to join societies and really try to do some extracurriculars to get integrated - that's how you really enjoy your time here because if you just do medicine and nothing else fun, you will crack up. What I didn't realize completely before starting medical school is that med school is really not a continuation of undergrad...in fact, it's nothing like undergrad. You think differently, you have to study differently, your approach to college and life changes. Not to mention adjusting to a completely different system of examination which I still haven't gotten used to. Make the most of these years because you honestly are never going to have them again (Trinners and I just started internship. I'm already into my overtime for this week and am on call tomorrow. By the end of the week I'll have logged at least 80 hours). Also, don't count final year because that's a year of hell. And the previous year and a half you will be giving up your free time to do electives and study for USMLEs or Canadian boards. Not to be depressing or anything, but seriously, enjoy your first few years :).

I worked a part time job every year of medical school so far. It's really helped keep my loans manageable.

The first two years I got a job where I could study while I was working. They didn't pay great but at least they forced me to study because there wasn't much else to do. I still joined sports and societies. I just combined studying and working together.

This year I got a job at the hospital. It's not very many hours (only because I wouldn't have time to work more then I did) but it's good experience and it pays AMAZING. Plus, it gets my ass out of bed on the weekends and since I'm done so early in the morning it barely cuts into my day.

Another nice thing about getting a job here is if you stay for the summer to study for boards you can pick up a lot more hours as well.

Thanks guys, just hoping to get a few hours a week, will see how things go. :rolleyes:

something that does pay really well if you can get into it is phlebotomy :). Some hours might suck, but you can earn quite a bit at the hospital doing it, plus get practice sticking people. I'm not sure if 1st years can apply, but there's no harm trying.

something that does pay really well if you can get into it is phlebotomy :). Some hours might suck, but you can earn quite a bit at the hospital doing it, plus get practice sticking people. I'm not sure if 1st years can apply, but there's no harm trying.

phlebotomy...is that drawing blood?!? I think any hospital exposure is awesome so even a reptitive procedure like that is totally cool with me. I'm not sure where I read this but isn't there a limit to the type of work international students can do? Or am I confusing this with hours?

Can anyone here comment on the public transport system in Dublin: accesability and fees. How often do buses / trains go from Trinity hall to TCD?
In vancouver, university students get a pass to the public transit as a part of their student fees. Is there anything like this in Dublin? Or are there student discounts? Approx how much is a monthly pass? Just curious :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Great guys, tanx, will look into it. :)

As regards transport you can buy weekly student bus tickets for e17.30. Lots of combination rail/bus/luas tickets for students as well, check out www.dublinbus.ie ;)

Hey all. I called the accommodation office the other day because I had originally wanted a shared twin room in Trinity Hall (to save money), but they gave me a single modern instead (so expensive!) She explained that I would probably be sharing it with a 17/18 year old, so highly suggested against. Anyway, she informed me that I have 3 Canadian med school room mates! That got me kinda excited. Perhaps one of them is you! If you can call and find out your room mate profile, we can sort out things for our apt! I'm bringing a rice cooker....for instance!

I applied for a modern single room a while back and haven't recieved a reply back from them yet. I heard the price of the single modern room is higher than what is quoted on the website. Can anyone tell what the actual cost is?

Hey FM, costs for a modern suite comes to 4844 euro. OUCH!

phlebotomy...is that drawing blood?!? I think any hospital exposure is awesome so even a reptitive procedure like that is totally cool with me. I'm not sure where I read this but isn't there a limit to the type of work international students can do? Or am I confusing this with hours?

Yes indeedy, drawing blood is the way to go. It can be actually quite hard in some patients, so the more practice you get doing it, the less dumb you feel when you become an intern :). There isn't really a limit to the type of work internationals can do...but in some places, they really stick to the having to prove a non-EU is more qualified than an EU bit. The hours are limited. If you're on a student visa, you can work up to 20 hours during the school year and 40 hours during holidays.

A nice trick that will annoy them enough to answer you is to keep ringing the accommodation office to find out about the room you've been allocated.

Ha Ha Ha, i just did that and yesterday they let me know that i got a room!

Alright, 1) Got my loans
2) Paid tuition
3) Got accommodations
4) Booked flights
5) Got Canadian passport and applied for UK passport
6) Got shots

.... am i forgetting anything?

What shots should I be worried about??

What shots should I be worried about??

Update your tetanus. At UCC they give us the Hep B shots free through 1st and 2nd year, but I don't know about the other unis. If you've already had hep B shots they don't make you repeat them if your titres are good. We also had optional BCGs in 2nd year, but they were optional and many of the Canadian students opted not to get them. IF you are in the group that only got 1 shot of the MMR you might want to consider getting the second shot, since you might be exposed to mumps if anyone from one of the mumpsy provinces is in your class. The campus health centre in Cork will also give you the MenC vaccine if you are in the target age group, but again, this is not really a big deal and not really necessary. Really, get a tetanus jab if you are due and otherwise don't worry about it much. If you are really concerned, look what the WHO recommends for travellers to Ireland and get those, but it's not a noted plague spot or anything like that :). Cheers,
M.

Hello,
I'd like to ask those people who were accepted to Ireland Med schools, did you go to Ireland for the interview or the interview is held in the U.S.
Thanks

Hello,
I'd like to ask those people who were accepted to Ireland Med schools, did you go to Ireland for the interview or the interview is held in the U.S.
Thanks

Only RCSI interviews and they do them in the US. Cheers,
M

Hey, just thought I'd join the club. Received an offer to Trinity few months back and just stumbled onto this website recently. There is so much useful information here, wish I had known about it sooner.

As for the student housing thing I opted to find a place to myself or with a roomate. I was unsure about the placing with regards to TCD housing, are undergrads paired up with grads? From my experience anyway, undergrads party a lot more and study a little less :):)

Age/Sex: 22M
Undergrad: UBC
Hometown: Vancouver, BC

undergrads (especially 1st years) are largely placed with undergrads. As a matter of fact, it may be a little claustrophobic but some first year meds are placed with other first year meds. The allocation of rooms is always a bit up in the air, but it'll be fun regardless. As long as your roomies-to-be are clean and such... :)