Recently Changed to Pre-Vet: Any App Help is Appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammj

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a rising Junior and just changed my career path from pre-pharmacy to pre-vet. I’m noticing some problems coming from the fact that not only do I have no connections in the field, but I am living in one of the worst states right now for COVID-19, which while it may not seem like a big deal, is making it really hard for me to strengthen my app. I’m kind of freaking out because I basically have one year to make myself a strong applicant for vet schools.

Here’s what I’m working with right now:

Academics—
  • Major: B.S. in Veterinary Sciences (as of a month ago)
  • Minor: Music
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.72
  • Science GPA: 3.68
*Dean’s List with Academic Distinction every year so far

Extracurriculars—
  • Philharmonic Orchestra (1 year)
  • Ranked in state for music in high school (2 years in a row but I don’t know if this is appropriate to include)
  • Pre-Pharmacy Club (3 years, on the board for 2 and doing that third year because I made a commitment and don’t want to flake)
  • Honors Society (one on campus— 2 years, going on 3, starting my second year on the board)
  • Campus Ambassador Honorary (an honorary at my school is part of a system of small groups of students that have to apply with good grades/leadership; they do philanthropies, fundraisers, and mine gives campus tours too— 2 years)
  • Instructional Manager for Inorganic Chem I/II (2 years)
  • Camp Counselor for a camp that teaches socioeconomically disadvantaged students (middle school age) about health-care professions
  • ~2000 hours of volunteer work (both in the US and internationally)
*Once we get back to school I’m planning on joining our pre-vet club too

Research—
  • Honors Project (studied drug policies in the gov and worked with the Colleges of Pharmacy and Law)
  • Published in a professor’s book as a co-author (topic was on pharmacology)
Work Experience— Paid Positions
  • Pharmacy Technician (2 years)
  • Orientation Leader (2 years)
Experience (with Animals)— this is where I struggle the most
  • ~200 hours pet-sitting dogs, cats, and reptiles (can I include this? I have no idea)
  • ~400 hours volunteering at a local wildlife rehab center (already started volunteering there)
  • 8 hours shadowing a large-animal vet
  • 10 hours volunteering at a small animal shelter
GRE—
  • There're a couple of schools that don't require the GRE, so I'm not at this point planning on taking it unless I absolutely have to.
*I’ve been asking to volunteer and shadow since the summer started, but because COVID-19 is so bad in my state, none of the vets I’ve talked to are allowing shadows (understandably), and most shelters stopped on-boarding volunteers. I also struggle with volunteering because I'm putting myself through college and it's hard because I still need to make money (I know I probably sound like a bad person for saying that).

Anyways, I’m sorry this is so long, but I know very little about this whole process other than the basics, so any help at this point would be so appreciated; since there’s a lot to unpack in my post, even if anyone can comment on some of it, I would appreciate it so much!

Thanks!

P.S. Feel free to be brutally honest; I know I have a lot of work to do.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Take a deep breath. Breathe and relax. This is a marathon and not a race, it is ok if you need to take a gap year or 2 or more willingly or unwillingly. Also remember that everyone is being impacted by COVID. It's ok if you're not ready to apply next summer and great if you are ready to apply. What's important is you put your best application forward when you apply.

2)It is extremely important you get more veterinary shadowing experience. Many schools have a minimum, but diversity and depth are both important. Make sure this is the field for you. I once explored going into pharmacy and it's not all that different of an application process. This profession does have issues just like pharmacy does. High debt, low pay, suicide, etc.

3) I see you changed your major-what was it before? Mainly because it's more important that you get the prereqs done for the schools you're applying to and have a degree that you can actually fall back on for a job should you need gap years or change your mind for a variety of reasons. For example I had a plain biomedical science degree so I could go do an MLS program should I decide not to do vet med or not get in.

4) I wouldn't worry about the GRE right now because you need to get your shadow hours first and next cycle may look very different than this one and who requires it or not. Many people take the GRE during their application cycle so you have plenty of time to see how things go.

5)Your research, academics, leadership, extracurriculars, and work experience are all pretty strong. Things to focus on volunteering, animal hours like the shelter work, and most importantly veterinary shadow hours. You can include pet sitting, but expand your options as you can-shelter volunteer, 4H volunteer, therapy riding, etc.

6) Do your research on what schools you are thinking about applying to to make sure you meet their prereq requirements, minimums for hours and have all the correct recommendations when you apply.

Goodluck and I'm always around if you have more questions

Reactions: 2 users
1) Take a deep breath. Breathe and relax. This is a marathon and not a race, it is ok if you need to take a gap year or 2 or more willingly or unwillingly. Also remember that everyone is being impacted by COVID. It's ok if you're not ready to apply next summer and great if you are ready to apply. What's important is you put your best application forward when you apply.

2)It is extremely important you get more veterinary shadowing experience. Many schools have a minimum, but diversity and depth are both important. Make sure this is the field for you. I once explored going into pharmacy and it's not all that different of an application process. This profession does have issues just like pharmacy does. High debt, low pay, suicide, etc.

3) I see you changed your major-what was it before? Mainly because it's more important that you get the prereqs done for the schools you're applying to and have a degree that you can actually fall back on for a job should you need gap years or change your mind for a variety of reasons. For example I had a plain biomedical science degree so I could go do an MLS program should I decide not to do vet med or not get in.

4) I wouldn't worry about the GRE right now because you need to get your shadow hours first and next cycle may look very different than this one and who requires it or not. Many people take the GRE during their application cycle so you have plenty of time to see how things go.

5)Your research, academics, leadership, extracurriculars, and work experience are all pretty strong. Things to focus on volunteering, animal hours like the shelter work, and most importantly veterinary shadow hours. You can include pet sitting, but expand your options as you can-shelter volunteer, 4H volunteer, therapy riding, etc.

6) Do your research on what schools you are thinking about applying to to make sure you meet their prereq requirements, minimums for hours and have all the correct recommendations when you apply.

Goodluck and I'm always around if you have more questions
Thanks for your response! My major before was actually a BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences, but the coursework for it is pretty specific, so it would've been kind of difficult for me to finish all the pre-reqs in that major. You've definitely given me a lot to think about though, and your tips and advice are super helpful and very much appreciated!