recomm. books for 1st year pharm student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stickandstone

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello guys, im starting pharmacy school in august and have some free time to self study.

what books do u recommend to buy for the first year student?

i bought Phamacotherapy: a pathophysiology approach already.

what about some good calculations books, biological sciences, biopharmaceutics....

thanks
 
depends on where you're going to school

each curriculum has something different during the 1st year...

here we wouldn't touch pharmacotherapy until the 2nd semester of the 2nd year at the earliest but its primarily a 3rd year book....

i really wouldn't bother reading it right now b/c you probably wont understand half of what it says...

what classes do you have your first semester?
 
i agree with ultracet

don't bother with reading pharmacy stuff

have fun while you can before the real "fun" starts
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ultracet said:
depends on where you're going to school

each curriculum has something different during the 1st year...

here we wouldn't touch pharmacotherapy until the 2nd semester of the 2nd year at the earliest but its primarily a 3rd year book....

i really wouldn't bother reading it right now b/c you probably wont understand half of what it says...

what classes do you have your first semester?

really? i will be going to WESTERN UNIVER in Pomona, CA.

i thought i might want to freshen up with biochem, biology, anatomy, but not sure where to focus....
 
As a P-1, I feel I can accurately answer this question by looking at my bookshelf.
Pharmaceutical Calculation by Answel and Stoklosa
Clinical Pharmacokinetics-Rowland and Tozer
Drug Information for the Health Care Professional (USP-DI Vol.1) Note this is for a P-2 class.
Medical Physiology-Boron and Boulpaep
Pathophysiology of Disease-Lange Medical Book
Lehinger's Principles of Biochemistry
I have found there is very little need for books because the handouts are normally very good.
 
stickandstone said:
really? i will be going to WESTERN UNIVER in Pomona, CA.

i thought i might want to freshen up with biochem, biology, anatomy, but not sure where to focus....
If it's been awhile since you've had gen chem, you might want to brush up on your acid/base chemistry, particularly the Henderson-Hasselbach equation and pKas/pKbs. I'm a first year pharmacy student and this has been a huge deal all year.

There's no need to pre-study for calculations. I am a total math dunce and I still got an A in calculations. You probably won't do much pertaining to anatomy, either. If you've had biochem already, it might be helpful to go over it. If you haven't, just brush up on your organic chem reactions (if you can stomach any more orgo after this semester... I could, but I'm a mega-nerd :laugh: ).
 
Ms. Hand said:
If it's been awhile since you've had gen chem, you might want to brush up on your acid/base chemistry, particularly the Henderson-Hasselbach equation and pKas/pKbs. I'm a first year pharmacy student and this has been a huge deal all year.

There's no need to pre-study for calculations. I am a total math dunce and I still got an A in calculations. You probably won't do much pertaining to anatomy, either. If you've had biochem already, it might be helpful to go over it. If you haven't, just brush up on your organic chem reactions (if you can stomach any more orgo after this semester... I could, but I'm a mega-nerd :laugh: ).

thanks a million guys for all the help 🙂
 
My advice is to not buy any books, because every school has different first year classes and many schools even uses different books for the same classes. I think your time would be better spent finding a list of the top 100 or 200 drugs online and making brand/generic flashcards. This will save you some money, too.
 
Brush up on your Physiology and Biochemistry. Maybe look at the top 100 drugs list. Everything else you will learn when you get there. Enjoy your summer!
 
Like its been said before.. it depends on what school you go to. My recommendation would be to find out what classes you'll be taking.. and then start a bit of reading the summer before that.. rather than NOW.

And no.. don't buy books. Go sit in a bookstore and read it there if you have to. =p (That's actually pretty relaxing, especially if there's a cafe nearby and you can grab a cup of tea.)
 
Ms. Hand said:
If it's been awhile since you've had gen chem, you might want to brush up on your acid/base chemistry, particularly the Henderson-Hasselbach equation and pKas/pKbs. I'm a first year pharmacy student and this has been a huge deal all year..
This is really good advice! I hadn't had Chemistry in quite a while and I think it put me at a slight disadvantage because I didn't remember a lot of the basic stuff with acid/base/pkas etc.