recommencing study after extended abscence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack Bennett

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a UQ Medical Student and will soon recommence clinical rotations after a 2-year absence from studying (due to ongoing health conditions). I am looking for recommendations on what would be the most efficient way to revise prior learning so I am up to speed when I start placements again in January.

I have 3 months until I recommence placements in Year 3 General Medicine and Surgery before completing Year 4 courses.

I am looking for advice and opinions on what would be the best course of action with regards to undertaking a self-imposed "crash course" in anatomy, clinical knowledge and pharmacology.

My thinking is that I should split my time 40% each to anatomy and clinical knowledge, with the remaining 20% towards pharmacology and also any foundational physiology and biochemistry I may need to revise.

I intend to revise the following textbooks and other information sources but there are some gaps in certain areas that I'm looking for recommendations on:

- Anatomy: I am unsure where to begin?
- Pathology: I have extensive notes from watching all Pathoma videos which I will revise + others?
- Pharmacology: I've found my university's lectures on pharmacology to be inadequate; I have a list of important drugs and their MoA's distributed by UQ medical students which is very comprehensive, but I need a succinct and thorough source of information regarding pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics to revise, as well as dose calculations for various drugs
- Clinical examination: Talley and O'Connor
- Others?

Thank-you in advance for any advice,

Jack

Members don't see this ad.