Recommend me a book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildMed16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a rising MSIV who will be starting EM in July. I have a 2 week break coming up, and I'd like to do some reading before EM starts.

What's a good basic intro/review book for EM that would be worth reading prior to getting started? It would be nice to brush up on some things. Haven't done IM since the fall.

Gracias

Members don't see this ad.

someone recommended to me "tintinelli: just the facts" and honestly, while it was a good book and very concise, i didn't read more than a tenth of the book before or during my EM months (though I plan to start prior to beginning residency). Case files for EM was decent too....especially cases that covered the centor criteria and so on and so forth. realistically, case files, you might be able to finish reading before starting your em month. good luck.

someone recommended to me "tintinelli: just the facts" and honestly, while it was a good book and very concise, i didn't read more than a tenth of the book before or during my EM months (though I plan to start prior to beginning residency). Case files for EM was decent too....especially cases that covered the centor criteria and so on and so forth. realistically, case files, you might be able to finish reading before starting your em month. good luck.

Thanks. I was thinking case files as well. They're easy to read

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if you mean you'll be a resident in EM or a MS in EM this July...if you are going to practice EM for a career then consider the following, else go with the above recommendations:

Start with the PEER 7 question bank and read the answers carefully. You could also start reading First Aid for the EM boards by Blok. If you prefer more text, you can get the review book from AAEM.

All of these three things will give you the information you need to know as a resident and prepare you for your inservice and boards.

I would recommend Emergency Medicine Sercrets. I read this before and during my EM rotations last year, and felt extremely well prepared. I think it's the best book for a student preparing for EM rotations.