Recommendation forms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcp15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I thought it might be helpful if we compiled a quick list of the MD-PhD programs that require extra recommendation forms for our mentors to fill out. I know that I'm a little worried that I'm going to miss one that's hidden away on a school's website...

I think the only ones I've run into thus far are Pitt and Yale.

Members don't see this ad.

SUNY Downstate has one, but I called them today and asked if it was strictly necessary, since my pre-med office has already had the letters for a couple of months and will distribute them. The woman I spoke to at the admissions office said that the form wasn't really required, since I gave a similar form to my mentors when I first requested that they submit a letter to the pre-med office. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
How mandatory are the Mayo and Yale forms? Pitt's is mandatory.

How mandatory are the Mayo and Yale forms? Pitt's is mandatory.
Pretty sure Mayo's is required. I emailed Lisa and she said they also want the form filled out by the committee letter writer, if you had one.

Also -
I can imagine what profs and PIs write in letters, but I have no idea how they go about filling these forms. I know for mayo, there are columns and for each category they rate you as bad, ok, good, great-top 5%, outstanding-top 2% (or something like that, but with percentages). It would seem that to put top 2%, they would have to have known at least 49 other students to the same degree. My main PI was young, and I was only his fourth thesis student, and it would seem like he couldn't put percentages on that. Or do you think if the PI/prof likes you, they just put that you're wonderful :laugh:. Ack, I'm overthinking this now.

..Sorry, that question became a lot more complicated than I had intended. :oops:

Or do you think if the PI/prof likes you, they just put that you're wonderful :laugh:. Ack, I'm overthinking this now.

..Sorry, that question became a lot more complicated than I had intended. :oops:

I would think that if you've managed to convince a PI/prof to let you into their lab, use their supplies, do a senior thesis, etc. then they will probably write a pretty good letter of recommendation. Presumably they did agree to write the letter, after all. I know there are a few dick-heads out there who might write less-then-favorable recs, but it seems like those are few and far between, and are generally pretty obvious. That's just my two cents, from anecdotal evidence and my own experience.