Recommendation from dad's partner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luaylu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a partner at his practice (not romantic).
i feel like it borders on unethical, and want a second opinion.
i have spent time there just hanging out/shadowing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How is it unethical? You're fine getting a recommendation from him or her.

How is it unethical? You're fine getting a recommendation from him or her.
i dunno cause he's known me since diapers and that just seems slightly weird to me. like we might as well be blood relatives, but we're not.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dunno cause he's known me since diapers and that just seems slightly weird to me. like we might as well be blood relatives, but we're not.

Is there anyone else at the practice who could write for you? Or does this physician know of another who you could shadow a bit who could collaborate on a letter for you? On a scale of meh to ZOMG ethical violations, I think this would trend closer to a "meh," but it's your application and you need to feel comfortable with it.

Could we hear from an adcom @Goro?

I had one. It's no different than shadowing your own doc or a family friend. Plus, how would they know? Shadow him, get to know him and use it. No shame in that.

Letters of rec are a joke anyways. I know a doctor that let's the students write their own rec letter.

It's not unethical, but it's not likely to be taken very seriously.

It'll be taken just as serious as the rest of them. Making/Having connections is huge in medicine and you should use them as much as possible......they can help you get into med school, help you get a residency, and help you get a job down the road. It can be more important than grades and even board scores.

It'll be taken just as serious as the rest of them. Making/Having connections is huge in medicine and you should use them as much as possible......they can help you get into med school, help you get a residency, and help you get a job down the road. It can be more important than grades and even board scores.
It's true. I was out to dinner with my fiancée and her residency program. One of her attendings, a dermatologist, told her to tell him where I'm at when I'm trying to match down the road.

Obviously, I have to put in the work, but connections can make a difference down the line.