Recommendation Letter Requirements if Committee Letter is used

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grape_koala

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has a pre-health committee so I will be submitting a committee letter in lieu of individual letters. They ask we submit our letters directly to them, which they will attach to their letter. In this case, does the typical LOR requirements (2 science, 1 non-science) matter? I was planning to submit a letter from my engineering professor (my major) and one from a humanities professor.

Members don't see this ad.

My school has a pre-health committee so I will be submitting a committee letter in lieu of individual letters. They ask we submit our letters directly to them, which they will attach to their letter. In this case, does the typical LOR requirements (2 science, 1 non-science) matter? I was planning to submit a letter from my engineering professor (my major) and one from a humanities professor.

edited: the following original post below is inaccurate:
Yes, you would still need to have the underlying required letters of recommendation.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ask what the committee requires. As @gyngyn said, most (MD) schools take the committee letter as the end all be all. DO schools still require a separate physician LOR

Reactions: 2 users
IIRC, a number of pre-health committees don't even append the original LORs to the committee letter. You should probably still have a science prof LOR but like gonnif said, there usually is no additional requirement

that is incorrect for the vast majority of medical schools

Applicants need to submit ONE the following:
**A) single committee letter where the applcant would follow the UG prehealth committee requirements
OR
**B) the appropriate number of individual letters per the specific requirements for each individual medical school

Please note the the vast majority of medical schools require, recommend, or prefer committee letters

Wouldnt one still need to have the underlying letters of recommendation sent to the committee as part of the process for having the committee letter written and to be included with the committee letter that is sent to schools? That was the process I had... if this is incorrect I will happily remove it.

ok i see, thanks!. my pre-health committee haven't made a fuss about it (hopefully), so I will keep my letters as they are. personally I feel my engineering professor can write a better letter so if there is no additional requirement, I won't get a bcpm one

Wouldnt one still need to have the underlying letters of recommendation sent to the committee as part of the process for having the committee letter written and to be included with the committee letter that is sent to schools? That was the process I had... if this is incorrect I will happily remove it.

It depends on the school. At my school, the only requirement is that one LoR is from a current faculty. Of course, they recommend having a science LoR, but there is no specific requirement. I know at my friend's school, he had to send in 5-6 letters (yikes) with the traditional 2 science/1 non-science requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know - original post has been edited. Thanks!