Recommendation letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taiwan2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, of the three that are required, is it okay if one is from a FP doc and the others are from any two rotations from the MS3 year? I have heard that some programs require letters from certain rotations--are there too many of these programs? The ones that do require letters from certain types of docs--which specialties do they usually want letters from?

Members don't see this ad.

Varies program-to-program.

I got:

1) FM attending
2) FM program director @ my school / "department head"
3) OB attending

In addition to the dean's MSPE.

Most programs will ask for a letter from the department head. It's pretty routine, and is pretty well expected.

I would ask the programs individually.

So, of the three that are required, is it okay if one is from a FP doc and the others are from any two rotations from the MS3 year? I have heard that some programs require letters from certain rotations--are there too many of these programs? The ones that do require letters from certain types of docs--which specialties do they usually want letters from?

Usually according to program websites they want at least one FP, and the others can be whatever but probably something primary-ish (i.e. not a sub-sub-specialty). After all, most everything applies as long as it involves patient care.