Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

recommendation problem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by camisho, May 5, 2004.

1. camisho

camisho Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

There's this professor I asked for a rec from in January and he still hasn't written it. I've reminded him a couple of times...once the end of March, after which he said he'd "get on it", and I recently sent him anothr e-mail reminder, to which he hasn't responded. I'd like to have my letters in some time this month...what should I do? Do professors who have nothing against you and say that they will write your letter just quit on you? I gave him my autobiographical statement, and he even interviewed me about my goals when I went to ask for the letter. Still, however, no response. What should I do!!! Thanks guys.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. soh5

soh5 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I definitly had this same problem. Only I wasnt applying for med school. I was applying for a summer medical research fellowship, and I asked my boss. I asked him in August of 2003, and Finally got around to it Feburary. :thumbdown: What I would do, hit the panic button in about 1 month, but keep bugging the prof. Meanwhile look for another person who could ofset this letter of rec. Personally I think this LOR might be weak because he might rush it. Look for another professor! I hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be! But dont hit the panic button yet, stay cool for now. :cool:

4. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Which (jhu?) professor? I had a crazy ass time getting a rec from this one professor even after emailing him and calling him multiple times. I finally got it by showing up to his office and asking in person, then coming back two days later to see if he had finished it (which he hadn't). I think he felt a little embarassed that he forgot and did it the next day.

I generally find that email is a POOR way to get a rec from a professor. The only surefire way is to bug them in person, as annoying and nevewracking as it may be.