Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Recommendation Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jasmine, Aug 12, 2001.

1. jasmine

jasmine Member

The dean of my school told me when I asked her to write me a recommendation that I should "write an advertisement for myself," which I am taking to mean that I should essentially be writing my own recommendation. This should be fun.

Anyhow, what focus do you think I should ask her to put on explaining the bad spots on my record, or should I have her only focus on the stronger points? For example, I withdrew from orgo very late in the class, and that shows up on my transcript.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdub

jdub Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hello,

from what i understand, if a school has a problem with your "bad" spots, they will ask you directly, otherwise, in most situations, it really is not necessary to address them.

i would focus more on personal stuff, like so and so is caring, worked really hard, had a laid back attitude, good sense of humor, has demonstrated outstanding personal qualities . . . or stuff like that.

they want personal stuff that shows that the letter writer knows you and that you have solid qualities that would be part of a good student and doctor. :D

4. jordews

jordews Senior Member

Hi jasmine,
    I was in the same situation as you. I know the dean decently well, and asked him to write a rec for me. He asked me to do the same thing as you. He wanted me to send him an email just telling him about myself. I pretty much just started rambling on about the activities I had been involved in while at college, the community service etc., what each of these things meant to me, and some of the things I saw, and how I have changed as a person through many of these experiences. I was surprised, the email ended up being about 2 or 3 pages long. Anyways, I think he really liked it, because he sent me an email back saying that he never knew I was involved with so much, and what a great person he thought I was, and how I was going to be an excellent doctor. So this is definately your chance to just be yourself, and give her the best impression of who you are as you can. I think its a great opportunity, because Im sure she'll end up writing you a great rec because of it. :)

5. jasmine

jasmine Member

Hey j&j, thanks for the advice - I'm feeling a little weird about the whole thing, so it's good to know what to focus on and that this isn't an unheard of situation...