Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasmine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The dean of my school told me when I asked her to write me a recommendation that I should "write an advertisement for myself," which I am taking to mean that I should essentially be writing my own recommendation. This should be fun.

Anyhow, what focus do you think I should ask her to put on explaining the bad spots on my record, or should I have her only focus on the stronger points? For example, I withdrew from orgo very late in the class, and that shows up on my transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

hello,

from what i understand, if a school has a problem with your "bad" spots, they will ask you directly, otherwise, in most situations, it really is not necessary to address them.

i would focus more on personal stuff, like so and so is caring, worked really hard, had a laid back attitude, good sense of humor, has demonstrated outstanding personal qualities . . . or stuff like that.

they want personal stuff that shows that the letter writer knows you and that you have solid qualities that would be part of a good student and doctor. :D

Hi jasmine,
I was in the same situation as you. I know the dean decently well, and asked him to write a rec for me. He asked me to do the same thing as you. He wanted me to send him an email just telling him about myself. I pretty much just started rambling on about the activities I had been involved in while at college, the community service etc., what each of these things meant to me, and some of the things I saw, and how I have changed as a person through many of these experiences. I was surprised, the email ended up being about 2 or 3 pages long. Anyways, I think he really liked it, because he sent me an email back saying that he never knew I was involved with so much, and what a great person he thought I was, and how I was going to be an excellent doctor. So this is definately your chance to just be yourself, and give her the best impression of who you are as you can. I think its a great opportunity, because Im sure she'll end up writing you a great rec because of it. :)

Hey j&j, thanks for the advice - I'm feeling a little weird about the whole thing, so it's good to know what to focus on and that this isn't an unheard of situation...