Recommendations about Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom sdcal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation:

I took the first semester of physics over summer school at a community college last year and received a B. I'm about to complete the second semester at my university and I'm expecting an A. The teacher I had at the community college was terrible and I don't feel like I learned the material very well. The teacher I have now is awesome and I really feel like his class has prepped me well for the MCAT. I'm planning on taking the MCAT this January.

My question is:

Am I better off relearning the material from the first semester on my own or should I take it again (w/ lab) with the teacher at my university? How would medical schools look at this? Would it look like I were just trying to raise my GPA? Or would it look good that I retook the class at my university and got a better grade?

I'm going to be spending all of next semester preparing for the MCAT so would retaking this class be helpful or just a waste of time? I'm also enrolling in genetics and human physiology.

Sorry for the long post but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

So here's my situation:

I took the first semester of physics over summer school at a community college last year and received a B. I'm about to complete the second semester at my university and I'm expecting an A. The teacher I had at the community college was terrible and I don't feel like I learned the material very well. The teacher I have now is awesome and I really feel like his class has prepped me well for the MCAT. I'm planning on taking the MCAT this January.

My question is:

Am I better off relearning the material from the first semester on my own or should I take it again (w/ lab) with the teacher at my university? How would medical schools look at this? Would it look like I were just trying to raise my GPA? Or would it look good that I retook the class at my university and got a better grade?

I'm going to be spending all of next semester preparing for the MCAT so would retaking this class be helpful or just a waste of time? I'm also enrolling in genetics and human physiology.

Sorry for the long post but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
You shouldnt retake if you got above a C>....you can probably learn it on your own.

Especially if you had cal-based physics the first semester, you shouldn't bother retaking. The MCAT is all algebra based, and weighs more on concepts than actual problem solving. When you realize that there are only a few formulas you can use in any one problem, the difficulty lies in rapidly figuring out which one you need to use so you don't waste time.

The PS section is easier to study for than other sections because repetition can show better results that your learning than memorization.

Especially if you had cal-based physics the first semester, you shouldn't bother retaking. The MCAT is all algebra based, and weighs more on concepts than actual problem solving. When you realize that there are only a few formulas you can use in any one problem, the difficulty lies in rapidly figuring out which one you need to use so you don't waste time.

:thumbup::thumbup:

If you retake, you'll be bored. As long as you get the concepts and can answer all of the "typical" questions for each section, you'll be fine.