Recommendations for a headset/microphone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to receive an interview invitation, and one of the "tips" that this school published is to consider using a headset to aid communication. Since I will be saving in travel expenses, I am looking for recommendations for either a headset or microphone that you all have had success in using. My biggest concern is picking one that will not be distracting to the interviewer.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is to get a good XLR mic + USB interface and then use any type of headphones so you don't echo.

Alternatively (and cheaper), Logitech makes some good headsets. But, they seemed to be sold out everywhere :(

Reactions: 1 user
Not interviewing, but I recently bought these two in conjunction (for games really) and enjoying it a lot. Alternatively, the headphones could be substituted for something cheaper, but I wanted something comfy that will hopefully last me longer than the headsets I'd been buying and breaking every year. I considered and XLR mic and think they're obviously better, but couldn't justify the cost for my needs. Reviews of the mic on youtube were great. In terms of price and quality, I don't think it can be beat. It comes with everything, boom, pop filter, wind screen, shock mount, and is just easy USB plug and play. Been using it for all my Zoom stuff keeping it out of the frame of the webcam and it works great.

Headphones

Mic

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to get a good XLR mic + USB interface and then use any type of headphones so you don't echo.

Alternatively (and cheaper), Logitech makes some good headsets. But, they seemed to be sold out everywhere :(

This is probably the best option.

A fantastic XLR microphone is the Audio Technica AT2020.

Any usb interface from M-Audio, etc. will do the trick.

Buy and XLR cable and a set of headphones to go into the interface.

Once you get the drivers installed, open your system sound preferences and set the input/output to the appropriate ports on the USB interface.

This is a typical set-up for anyone who does music recording and/or computer gaming/streaming. Very effective and can be done for ~$100 or less than half the price of airpod pros/bose QC35. Although, there is no mobility.

Reactions: 1 user
This is probably the best option.

A fantastic XLR microphone is the Audio Technica AT2020.

Any usb interface from M-Audio, etc. will do the trick.

Buy and XLR cable and a set of headphones to go into the interface.

Once you get the drivers installed, open your system sound preferences and set the input/output to the appropriate ports on the USB interface.

This is a typical set-up for anyone who does music recording and/or computer gaming/streaming. Very effective and can be done for ~$100 or less than half the price of airpod pros/bose QC35. Although, there is no mobility.

Hmm I have an audio Technica AT4040 that I use for music recording. I've thought about using that although I don't have a USB interface right now. Just a line 6 helix which I record through. I'm wondering if that could work. I actually think it would. The only issue would be making sure there is no echo from the interviewer speaking and having the mic pick that up. I'm not sure how I would get around that without using headphones (which may look unprofessional). Actually how do webcams and computer cameras get around that? They must mute the microphone when the other person speaks that way it isn't picked up from the computer speakers.

Hmm I have an audio Technica AT4040 that I use for music recording. I've thought about using that although I don't have a USB interface right now. Just a line 6 helix which I record through. I'm wondering if that could work. I actually think it would. The only issue would be making sure there is no echo from the interviewer speaking and having the mic pick that up. I'm not sure how I would get around that without using headphones (which may look unprofessional). Actually how do webcams and computer cameras get around that? They must mute the microphone when the other person speaks that way it isn't picked up from the computer speakers.

Muting the microphone manually or perhaps hot-keying a push-to-talk button would fix your problem.

If your interface has a “mic gain” setting you can use that as a make-shift on/off switch for your mic.