Laptop Recommendations for starting Medical School in 2024?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infiniteregress2020

Reaction score
I’m looking around for a new laptop to use to replace my current Surface Pro 5 to get ready for med school next year in 2024 and I’m trying to take advantage of Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales this weekend. I’m debating between several choices for a laptop and I’m on the fence about which to get. I’m leaning towards a 15-inch laptop cuz I’ve been using a 12-inch Microsoft Surface Pro 5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD that has been difficult to open multiple PowerPoints on due to small screen size and inadequate RAM. I might also be open to 14-inch laptops, but the 14-inch laptops I have seen in retail stores still don’t feel big enough for me. My top choices are:

Without Touchscreen:
Apple 15-inch MacBook Air with M2, 16 GB Unified Memory, 512 GB SSD
Apple 14-inch MacBook Pro with M3, 18 GB Unified Memory, 512 GB SSD
Dell XPS 15 with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

With Touchscreen:
Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 15-inch with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio 2 14-inch with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

I have been a Windows User throughout college and through my 4 gap years as I enter into med school next year. I have had previous experience with MacOS X Snow Leopard when I was in high school 13 years ago before they had iMessage on Mac, so I won’t be totally foreign to Mac if I choose to switch to Mac for med school.

The Surface laptops’ touchscreen could be handy for me to write notes on my PowerPoints for note taking in the future as I used my Windows PC touchscreen often for notes, but at the same time, if I use the Apple ecosystem I also have an iPad if in case I wanna use the iPad touchscreen for writing on PowerPoint and take advantage of continuity and SideCar features.

Though I might be annoyed with Mac’s having Apple Silicon in place of Intel CPUs because I play PC games, it’s not at all a dealbreaker as I game very very occasionally on my laptop and Mac’s current offering of ported games could be enough for me.

My top choice I’m leaning towards is the 2023 15-inch M2 MacBook Air that came out this past summer, even though I’ve been using Windows for a while now. I like the sharp resolution display, it’s 15-inch form factor, and it’s lightweight which will be really great for my back and carrying it around in med school. But I’m open to other suggestions too if there’s other factors I should consider, let me know y’all’s thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ik you want to take advantage of black Friday and cyber Monday deals, but keep in mind that some schools may include a tech fee alongside tuition that will be aimed at providing you with a new laptop or iPad. May be worthwhile to wait and see tbh.

Ik you want to take advantage of black Friday and cyber Monday deals, but keep in mind that some schools may include a tech fee alongside tuition that will be aimed at providing you with a new laptop or iPad. May be worthwhile to wait and see tbh.
I don’t think my school has that, when I asked students on interview day if equipment or study materials are provided by the school, they said students need to provide their own electronics as well as pay for UWorld and other materials out of pocket

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of the Macbooks with M2 will be more than enough for your needs. Note that Apple also offers an educational discount. If you wait until the summer, they also have back-to-school specials (like a free set of airpods, etc). If you have the Apple credit card, you can also get a 2% cash back credit.

I have the 15 inch M1 MBP, and I use it in docked mode 99% of the time. The bigger screen is nice, but next time I probably would have gone with the smaller 13" version because of increased portability.

My med school I’m going to is MCG, I’m not for sure what’s included in their technology package for students.

Would avoid any intel chip due to battery issues, unless you are getting one with a pen. HP Dragonfly Pro is the only laptop with macbook comparable battery and performance.

Would get a good AMD laptop and an ipad for annotation, best of both worlds. If you don't care about battery, then go nuts with whatever catches your fancy.

Any of the Macbooks with M2 will be more than enough for your needs. Note that Apple also offers an educational discount. If you wait until the summer, they also have back-to-school specials (like a free set of airpods, etc). If you have the Apple credit card, you can also get a 2% cash back credit.

I have the 15 inch M1 MBP, and I use it in docked mode 99% of the time. The bigger screen is nice, but next time I probably would have gone with the smaller 13" version because of increased portability.
Btw, how’s the Apple ecosystem like for integration across Mac, iPhone, and iPad ? Is it a distraction to have iPhone messages on Mac when using the MacBook? It’s a concern that I have for studying on my next laptop for future med school work.

I’ve been using Windows for a long time now and I haven’t gotten a feel of how Macs are with these ecosystem features since I transitioned from Mac to Windows about 10 years ago.

Second this. My parents have the 16" and it's cumbersome to lug around. I have a 13" and have no regrets.
Btw, how’s the Apple ecosystem like for integration across Mac, iPhone, and iPad ? Is it a distraction to have iPhone messages on Mac when using the MacBook? It’s a concern that I have for studying on my next laptop for future med school work.
I personally like the the integration and connectivity across my devices. Super easy to transfer files, keep a common notes app, and get used to using the same interface style.
If texting is a problem, set up do not disturb hours/work on self control ;).

Second this. My parents have the 16" and it's cumbersome to lug around. I have a 13" and have no regrets.

I personally like the the integration and connectivity across my devices. Super easy to transfer files, keep a common notes app, and get used to using the same interface style.
If texting is a problem, set up do not disturb hours/work on self control ;).
How do you feel between the 14-inch M3 MBP vs. the 15-inch M2 MBA in terms of screen size? I’m leaning towards the 15-inch so that I can struggle less with reading PowerPoints while using a laptop in a study room. But idk if the 14-inch would work just fine too?

I’m coming from my current Microsoft Surface Pro 5, and it’s 12-inch screen easily gotten overwhelmed by how many PowerPoints and Word documents I opened up on its small screen.

Also, my other usage dilemma, worse than checking messages, is browsing the internet. How do you control that with your focus modes? Cuz while the internet is distracting, I also might need it for accessing stuff like UW or Osmosis in the future, so idk how I can control my internet browsing so I can only focus on the stuff I need versus the stuff that distracts me.

Last edited:
How do you feel between the 14-inch M3 MBP vs. the 15-inch M2 MBA in terms of screen size? I’m leaning towards the 15-inch so that I can struggle less with reading PowerPoints while using a laptop in a study room. But idk if the 14-inch would work just fine too?
I have a 13" MBP and the choice between MBP vs MBA was just so I could run more heavy duty stuff (video editing, my gazillion tabs). I feel like the difference between 14" and 15" will be negligible but there is a significant difference between 13" and 15". The downside to larger screens and pro vs air is the increasing weight. Determine what matters more to you, screen size or portability/weight.
Also, my other usage dilemma, worse than checking messages, is browsing the internet. How do you control that with your focus modes?
The internal focus mode prevents others from bothering you, it won't control your internet browsing. I don't believe the built in do not disturb features on any kind of laptop would do that. Every device has some sort of parental control/screentime/outside apps, but thats really not one of the things that Mac or windows is doing differently. Imo, just manage your time and work on self control.

Last edited:
I have a 13" MBP and the choice between MBP vs MBA was just so I could run more heavy duty stuff (video editing, my gazillion tabs). I feel like the difference between 14" and 15" will be negligible but there is a significant difference between 13" and 15". The downside to larger screens and pro vs air is the increasing weight. Determine what matters more to you, screen size or portability/weight.

The internal focus mode prevents others from bothering you, it won't control your internet browsing. I don't believe the built in do not disturb features on any kind of laptop would do that. Every device has some sort of parental control/screentime/outside apps, but thats really not one of the things that Mac or windows is doing differently. Imo, just manage your time and work on self control.
Well, the 15-inch M2 MBA actually feels lighter in my hand compared to the 14-inch M3 MBP, so if I choose the 15-inch M2 MBA, I get the best of both worlds with a bigger screen and lightweight compared to the 14-inch M3 MBP.

Would avoid any intel chip due to battery issues, unless you are getting one with a pen. HP Dragonfly Pro is the only laptop with macbook comparable battery and performance.

Would get a good AMD laptop and an ipad for annotation, best of both worlds. If you don't care about battery, then go nuts with whatever catches your fancy.
So you advise against Intel PCs? For a Windows PC, this laptop is a close second choice to the 15-inch M2 MBA I was lookin at on the Apple side. This Dell PC got discounted, matching the same price point as the M2 MBA of the same screen size.

Another thing is my laptop is my only computer I use, so if I go to Mac with Apple Silicon, I mostly forfeit my PC game collection on Steam which would be a little disappointing. Though reflecting on my realistic future daily use of my laptop, I think I wouldn't be gaming when i'm in med school much anyways, just maybe only during the holiday season. Main games I typically play are old games pre-2010s and older, like Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Psychonauts 1 and 2, Crysis, etc.

Last edited:
Honestly for medical School, I found it essential to have an apple iPad with a apple pen
Theres an app called notability where you can download your slides onto it, and take notes in class. This was a huge time saver for me personally.

IN addition, I had an apple Mac so that I could seamless share my notes between the two and everything was compatible. I just bought a new MacBook because my last one was prob 5 yrs old (got it in med school) and theres some *decent* cyber monday deals. nothing too special but still something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly for medical School, I found it essential to have an apple iPad with a apple pen
Theres an app called notability where you can download your slides onto it, and take notes in class. This was a huge time saver for me personally.

IN addition, I had an apple Mac so that I could seamless share my notes between the two and everything was compatible. I just bought a new MacBook because my last one was prob 5 yrs old (got it in med school) and theres some *decent* cyber monday deals. nothing too special but still something. ive put the links below of some deals I saw.

Apple iPAD (10th Gen): 22% off
essential for taking notes in class
link: https://amzn.to/3SV3Oot
Apple Pencil to match, also on sale: https://amzn.to/3RfzEL8

2023 MacBook Air 18% off, not a huge steal but still good
link: https://amzn.to/3MZE6vh

OTVOC Laptop 15.6 inch Windows 11, 72% OFF
Personally, im an apple guy but this is a steal so thought id share
link: https://amzn.to/40TXgIG

-The IMG Surgeon Jr, PGY-2
How do you feel about the lack of a touch screen on the Macbook? Is the iPad a sufficient substitute for your touch screen needs for med school studying, in your experience, compared to a touch screen integrated on the laptop?

How do you feel about the lack of a touch screen on the Macbook? Is the iPad a sufficient substitute for your touch screen needs for med school studying, in your experience, compared to a touch screen integrated on the laptop?
yeah too be honest, I didn't use my laptop in lecture tbh. I would bring my iPad and my Apple Pencil. Id download the lecture slide shows on notability the night before and just take notes the iPad. Laptop was essential for studying but I never missed not having a touch-screen laptop. I felt the iPad was sufficient.

It was either I saw people using iPads + pencil with notability OR hand taking notes in lecture (which was meh for me).

but at the end of the day, everyone studies different and learns different, I think it will take time to figure out what works for you. Medical school is a large volume of information coming at you fast, and it's going to take trial and error to really find what works and what doesn't work for you as a learner. It's a whole different ball game.

I’m looking around for a new laptop to use to replace my current Surface Pro 5 to get ready for med school next year in 2024 and I’m trying to take advantage of Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales this weekend. I’m debating between several choices for a laptop and I’m on the fence about which to get. I’m leaning towards a 15-inch laptop cuz I’ve been using a 12-inch Microsoft Surface Pro 5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD that has been difficult to open multiple PowerPoints on due to small screen size and inadequate RAM. I might also be open to 14-inch laptops, but the 14-inch laptops I have seen in retail stores still don’t feel big enough for me. My top choices are:

Without Touchscreen:
Apple 15-inch MacBook Air with M2, 16 GB Unified Memory, 512 GB SSD
Apple 14-inch MacBook Pro with M3, 18 GB Unified Memory, 512 GB SSD
Dell XPS 15 with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

With Touchscreen:
Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 15-inch with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio 2 14-inch with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

I have been a Windows User throughout college and through my 4 gap years as I enter into med school next year. I have had previous experience with MacOS X Snow Leopard when I was in high school 13 years ago before they had iMessage on Mac, so I won’t be totally foreign to Mac if I choose to switch to Mac for med school.

The Surface laptops’ touchscreen could be handy for me to write notes on my PowerPoints for note taking in the future as I used my Windows PC touchscreen often for notes, but at the same time, if I use the Apple ecosystem I also have an iPad if in case I wanna use the iPad touchscreen for writing on PowerPoint and take advantage of continuity and SideCar features.

Though I might be annoyed with Mac’s having Apple Silicon in place of Intel CPUs because I play PC games, it’s not at all a dealbreaker as I game very very occasionally on my laptop and Mac’s current offering of ported games could be enough for me.

My top choice I’m leaning towards is the 2023 15-inch M2 MacBook Air that came out this past summer, even though I’ve been using Windows for a while now. I like the sharp resolution display, it’s 15-inch form factor, and it’s lightweight which will be really great for my back and carrying it around in med school. But I’m open to other suggestions too if there’s other factors I should consider, let me know y’all’s thoughts!
M3 Pro Max 16 Inch. Pricey but will likely be able to serve all of your needs and more for the next 5+ years.

Y'all idk how you guys are making do with 16 GB... if you have cloud storage I suppose, or hard drives.
That said I don't really clean up waste files or old stuff.
Despite apparently being a files hoarder, in 4 years I've used up 61.1 GB of my 250 GB. So 512 GB might be overdoing it.

Y'all idk how you guys are making do with 16 GB... if you have cloud storage I suppose, or hard drives.
That said I don't really clean up waste files or old stuff.
Despite apparently being a files hoarder, in 4 years I've used up 61.1 GB of my 250 GB. So 512 GB might be overdoing it.
I think they mean 16 GB memory, not storage. 16 GB storage would be tiny

Reactions: 1 users