Recommendations for advanced math student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RRD2003

Reaction score
Hello! I am a student entering freshman year undergrad and am trying to set up a schedule for pre-med. One issue I have run into concerns math classes. Through my high school I have 5’s in both AP Calculus AB and BC and college credits from my local community college for Calc 2, Calc 3, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, and Statistics. If I can avoid it, I’d rather not advance further in math, so I am unsure if I should retake certain classes or not have math in college. Additionally, what class should I replace the 4 credits with?
I appreciate the help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Math major here applying this cycle. Kudos to you for taking all of that before starting school, that's awesome! Many schools will accept AP/transcript notation as long as YOUR college accepts them for placement/credit. Do you have a CC transcript? If so, you should be able to send it in with your undergrad transcript when applying and it will just count as courses.

It'll also look impressive that you managed these math courses (that few premeds have) before starting undergrad!

You should be fine without additional math courses, but if you want more for interest or just in case here are some ideas:

- a calculus-based stats course: helps to understand more complex research, especially in computational fields or engineering if you think those may interest you.
- biostats/mathematical biology: especially if it has a programming component. Knowing how to program and do statistical analysis can help you find research work and is a great skill to have in general.
- network science: SUPER useful for population modeling, because SIR and simple models just don't cut it anymore (also the most fun math course I've taken in college).

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any more questions!

Edit: If you want an ironclad way/a possible grade boost, you can just retake calculus and statistics. Those two courses will fill math recs for any med school that has them. If you just take AP credit, the course will be listed as a pass and not impact your application GPA.

Reactions: 1 user