Recommendations for introductory ACT resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clausewitz2

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a psychiatry resident mostly interested in SPMI and that population who is also interested in non-pharmacological approaches (where supported by evidence). As I am in North America in some fantasy world an Open Dialogue type approach would be possible but I am also given to understand that ACT had at least a slim evidence base for primary psychotic disorders. Unfortunately my training program is...not persuaded of the benefits of providing us with robust psychotherapy training. I have found my own resources in terms of learning more psychodynamic approaches for dealing with other populations, but Chestnut Lodge aside this is not an approach that has a good track record for folks with the experiences I am interested in. I know CBTp is a thing but I tend to find CBT of any variety crushingly boring.

Thus the interest in ACT.

To cut a long-winded question short - what are good introductory resources for understanding ACT? I have read enough to date to get a vague impression of it as "mindfulness + ABA" but that is obviously not helpful for doing anything practically speaking. We have a very generous book fund so could swing a couple of volumes if books/manuals will serve me better than papers.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a psychiatry resident mostly interested in SPMI and that population who is also interested in non-pharmacological approaches (where supported by evidence). As I am in North America in some fantasy world an Open Dialogue type approach would be possible but I am also given to understand that ACT had at least a slim evidence base for primary psychotic disorders. Unfortunately my training program is...not persuaded of the benefits of providing us with robust psychotherapy training. I have found my own resources in terms of learning more psychodynamic approaches for dealing with other populations, but Chestnut Lodge aside this is not an approach that has a good track record for folks with the experiences I am interested in. I know CBTp is a thing but I tend to find CBT of any variety crushingly boring.

Thus the interest in ACT.

To cut a long-winded question short - what are good introductory resources for understanding ACT? I have read enough to date to get a vague impression of it as "mindfulness + ABA" but that is obviously not helpful for doing anything practically speaking. We have a very generous book fund so could swing a couple of volumes if books/manuals will serve me better than papers.
Theres also the book ACT for Psychosis.

Reactions: 1 user