recommendations for statistics/epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lee580

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school does a woeful job of incorporating these two subjects into the curriculum. It seems like these subjects are often overlooked, but can mean the difference between a good score and a great score. Can someone recommend a good way to learn the difference between case control and cohort studies? It would also be nice if I could figure out what the hell all those numbers and variable at the end of the study mean (i.e p, z).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My school does a woeful job of incorporating these two subjects into the curriculum. It seems like these subjects are often overlooked, but can mean the difference between a good score and a great score. Can someone recommend a good way to learn the difference between case control and cohort studies? It would also be nice if I could figure out what the hell all those numbers and variable at the end of the study mean (i.e p, z).

Thanks

Lots of good sources for that.

The behavioral sciences book in the Kaplan series was excellent.

People that aren't in kaplan often use high yield behavioral, which is pretty much the same thing.

If that still isn't enough... you can always go the BRS route. I looked at it a little, and its probably a bit overboard. But hey... it'll definitely get the job done.

hy behavioral has the bare bones of what you'll need for statistics and the research stuff...but I think that section is a little too skimpy for someone who doesn't have the basics down solid

I spent about half a day w/ HY biostatistics and it was well worth it. There's no need to read the whole book...ie just go through the topics in First Aid and read up on those from HY biostat.

This junk was definitely on my test....I think b/w 1-4 q's per section...and they're ones that you could really nail if you understand the basic concepts