cpb80

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
Status
i'll be applying to EM for residency, and wouldn't mind upgrading from my old Littmann single tube. Deciding btwn the following scopes:

Welch Allyn Harvey Elite
Welch Allyn Harvey DLX
Littman Cardio III
Littman Cardiology Master

Any recommendations? Thanks guys

CYRAX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
Master cardiology is the best. I have had the cards III for three years of IM residency and it is also very good. bottom line, for EM, Cards III is more than enough and is recommended. good luck.

grendelsdragon

Synesthetic
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I'd advise against the Littman Master cardiology. I have tried both tunable diaphragms and conventional separate bells and diaphragms. The latter has superior acoustics.

Stethoscopes obey common laws of physics. Overall, most conventional stehoscopes will perform quite well. If you want the best acoustics, you should get one with the shortest length tubing that is well insulated (which is why the serious cardiology stethoscopes are all no longer than 27 inches). However, I have to also advise you that I know of a number of colleagues in Emergency Medicine who intentionally sacrifice acoustics to have longer tubing. In the ED, there are occasionally patients that you don't want to (or can't physically) get too close to the chest. Just FYI.