Recommended class before Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmandudeguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Do you recommend any classes to take before med school? I have taken immuno. However I was thinking of taking biochem or anatomy/phys during my gap year at a local school. However, a lot of posts say do not pre study for med school because it doesn't matter. Do you guys agree? Is there anything I can do? I mean I would definitely not mind spending money to take those classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

Do you recommend any classes to take before med school? I have taken immuno. However I was thinking of taking biochem or anatomy/phys during my gap year at a local school. However, a lot of posts say do not pre study for med school because it doesn't matter. Do you guys agree? Is there anything I can do? I mean I would definitely not mind spending money to take those classes.

The two biology courses that I recommend taking (and ones I will be taken as a senior next year) is biochemistry (with lab, i'm not sure if its a big deal or not if you don't do the lab portion) and genetics. I will also be taking some upper level bio electives probably.

Hmm Ive taken Genetics, but Biochem seems like a good idea

Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics would be a good one. Micro is also good.

I had a high-intensity histo class my final semester that pretty much let me punt on that topic for blocks here.

Genetics would be a good one. Micro is also good.

I had a high-intensity histo class my final semester that pretty much let me punt on that topic for blocks here.

I will have a lot of upper level chem classes by the time I graduate. I'm only taking 2-3 biology upper level classes (biochem, genetics, probably an elective). Thats fine right?

I studied neuroscience in undergrad so I feel left out with all of you talking about your upper chem and bio courses lol. xD

I studied neuroscience in undergrad so I feel left out with all of you talking about your upper chem and bio courses lol. xD

It's a shame my school offers just two bio classes on neuroscience.

It's a shame my school offers just two bio classes on neuroscience.

Yeah, it's too bad that a lot of schools don't offer more courses on it. It's super interesting! But while I was taking those courses, y'all were taking immuno and genetics. :cool:

Biochem for sure, I wish I had taken before I started. Medical Micro as well if your school has it.

I don't know if these help or not, but I'm a non bio major who in preparation for the MCAT/med school took Anatomy, Genetics, Physiology, Cell & Molecular Bio, and plan on taking Biochem online next semester through UNE.

I don't know if these help or not, but I'm a non bio major who in preparation for the MCAT/med school took Anatomy, Genetics, Physiology, Cell & Molecular Bio, and plan on taking Biochem online next semester through UNE.

Duuuuude!!! Take biochem with me over the winter! :D

You know you want to. :naughty:

I've been exposed to cell/molecular bio and physiology in general biology. Not taking anatomy because historically, the grading is extremely brutal (I heard more than half the students fail the lab last spring)

Lol, do you guys know if biochem lab is required.

Besides general biology, I'm definitely doing biochemistry and genetics senior year. Would I be questioned why I didn't take more? I am also planning on taking a few biology classes that aren't high level classes but are in topics that I'm interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)

Besides general biology, I'm definitely doing biochemistry and genetics senior year. Would I be questioned why I didn't take more? I am also planning on taking a few biology classes that aren't high level classes but are in topics that I'm interested in.

From what I've seen, only 3 credits of biochem is required, so I would say no. Check individual schools, though, for preferences.

From what I've seen, only 3 credits of biochem is required, so I would say no. Check individual schools, though, for preferences.

Yeah I know almost every school in america (MD, DO) highly recommends to take it. Better off taking so I do not restrict myself when applying. Planning to contact individual schools next summer before I list the classes I'm going to take senior year. Finishing up pre reqs by end of this year, I have a lab and a lecture left. Taking a gap year, surprisingly every person I know who applied to med school has done it.

Yeah I know almost every school in america (MD, DO) highly recommends to take it. Better off taking so I do not restrict myself when applying. Planning to contact individual schools next summer before I list the classes I'm going to take senior year. Finishing up pre reqs by end of this year, I have a lab and a lecture left. Taking a gap year, surprisingly every person I know who applied to med school has done it.

Good for you! Time off is super important. I'm taking 2 years off between undergrad and med school. (Though hopefully starting my MPH this upcoming summer!!)

Where are you taking it at? UNE as well?

I've been exposed to cell/molecular bio and physiology in general biology. Not taking anatomy because historically, the grading is extremely brutal (I heard more than half the students fail the lab last spring)

My anatomy class was a joke, so I didn't learn it as well as I should have. I'm considering retaking it in the spring if I have time. My UG school is weird because we don't touch physio at all in bio 1 and 2. It's all cellular bio and evolution stuff. Thats the same reason I'm not taking biochem here, the class is crazy hard and the tests come out of left field. I'm fine with difficult classes, but people say the professor is just all over the place with what he wants.

Biochem lab definitely isn't required. My school doesn't even offer it haha (I'm not painting a very good picture of my school)

If I had to rank the top 5 most important classes I'd go with:

1) physio
2) biochem
3) genetics
4) micro
5) anatomy

I'd say, in this order, physiology, anatomy, biochemistry without a lab, histology or pathology

I will have a lot of upper level chem classes by the time I graduate. I'm only taking 2-3 biology upper level classes (biochem, genetics, probably an elective). Thats fine right?

Probably fine

+1 for Physiology, as well. I can see how Biochem would be helpful and maybe dodging it in undergrad will eventually come back to bite me later, but so far it's seems like it's largely been a mixture of Genetics and Cell Bio.

Probably fine

+1 for Physiology, as well. I can see how Biochem would be helpful and maybe dodging it in undergrad will eventually come back to bite me later, but so far it's seems like it's largely been a mixture of Genetics and Cell Bio.

Yeah one of my friends said biochem at my university is taught very well and the professors who teach it tend to give all their students solid grades (obviously the ones who put the effort).

Hey guys

I'm a first year and for the love of all things holy take a freaking anatomy class. Not anatomy and physiology... ANATOMY. And take physiology separate too if you can. If they only offer them together take that but only if they don't offer the two separate. Next in line would be biochem.

I'm a first year and for the love of all things holy take a freaking anatomy class. Not anatomy and physiology... ANATOMY. And take physiology separate too if you can. If they only offer them together take that but only if they don't offer the two separate. Next in line would be biochem.

BYU does offer online Anatomy for those interested I guess. Too bad there isn't a Harvard or MIT online free anatomy.

I never took anatomy before school and it wasn't too bad. Did better than a lot of people who have taken anatomy before. Just put the work in while you are in school. Nothing will be able to prepare you for it!