Recommended classes before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhirschi

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to apply this cycle, but I am wondering if I have enough science classes to be a competitive applicant.
-I have taken 2 Bio semesters, 1 genetics/molecular bio semester, biostats, 2 gen chem semesters and the first organic chem class.
-My current GPA is 3.84
-I will be interning this spring with a dentist and I will also be taking the DAT in a few months.

Do these classes make me competitive? I have no idea what to expect since this will be my first cycle applying.

Members don't see this ad.

no because everyone applying to dental school takes those classes like those as most of them are requirements.........................

doing well in the dental prereqs makes you competitive not in how many science courses you take.

also i would take orgo 2 before even thinking about taking the DAT. otherwise the o chem section is going to be next to impossible without orgo 2 unless youre really good at learning on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
You haven't covered all the pre-reqs yet. As wezleesun said, definitely take Orgo 2 before your DAT - there's plenty of that material in the Orgo section. I'd recommend more science classes, and A's in all of them.

no because everyone applying to dental school takes those classes like those as most of them are requirements.........................

doing well in the dental prereqs makes you competitive not in how many science courses you take.

also i would take orgo 2 before even thinking about taking the DAT. otherwise the o chem section is going to be next to impossible without orgo 2 unless youre really good at learning on your own.

The problem is if I push my DAT back a semester, I will have to wait until next cycle to apply. I really want to try to get in this cycle. What percentage of the ochem portion would you say comes from the second semester?

The problem is if I push my DAT back a semester, I will have to wait until next cycle to apply. I really want to try to get in this cycle. What percentage of the ochem portion would you say comes from the second semester?
it varies but probably i would say at least 70% comes from orgo 2. even if a school says you only need 1 semester of o chem to be accepted (there are some out there), this is pointless as you need both semesters to even take the dat. There are so many more reactions you learn in orgo 2 that you are bound to see on the DAT

Some if not most dental schools require Biochemistry as a pre-requisite now. I know NYU recommends higher science level courses because it shows that you are capable of preparing for heavy science class loads. For example, anatomy and physiology, biophysical, biological spectroscopy, and concentration in quantum mechanics (basically any engineering classes).