Recommended courses before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddynamite914

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some courses you guys would recommend be taken before stepping into medical school. Also, what are some interesting courses that are relevant that you guys loved taking and feel as if it was helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

What are some courses you guys would recommend be taken before stepping into medical school. Also, what are some interesting courses that are relevant that you guys loved taking and feel as if it was helpful?
Genetics, Biochem, Physiology, Cell Biology, Endocrinology, Neurology, Embryology, Virology, Immunology, Statistics (didn't love it, but helpful and relevant), Spanish.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics, Biochem, Physiology, Cell Biology, Endocrinology, Neurology, Embryology, Virology, Immunology, Statistics (didn't love it, but helpful and relevant), Spanish.

So far I have taken 3 of those courses. Endocrinology, Neurobiology, and Immunology this semester. Got 5 more semesters left. For virology, what are some of the subjects you should be taking before taking that course?

Pharmacology

I've heard this before. Why is pharmacology so important by the way?

I took biochemistry, microbiology, physiology and endocrinology in undergrad (I'm a nontrad so I wasn't a premed then) and all three have turned out to be helpful. I've had a lot of statistics, and it's been useful for general knowledge but not super applicable to med school so far. I'd definitely recommend anatomy-- it won't be the same intensity as med school but even just having the vocabulary would have been helpful. I also wish I spoke Spanish, both in life in general and for my future career.

So far I have taken 3 of those courses. Endocrinology, Neurobiology, and Immunology this semester. Got 5 more semesters left. For virology, what are some of the subjects you should be taking before taking that course?

I've heard this before. Why is pharmacology so important by the way?

Because pharmacotherapy is one of the modalities use to treat psychological and bodily ailments.....

This definitely has to be very school specific thing. My undergrad doesn't offer any of these courses :depressed: we focus so much on Marine, ugh.

This definitely has to be very school specific thing. My undergrad doesn't offer any of these courses :depressed: we focus so much on Marine, ugh.

So what kind of courses have you taken to prep for medical school besides the pre requisites? lol

My undergrad didn't offer Virology either, but students who had access to it elsewhere were glad to have gotten some background before having exposure to the more rapid pace of med school.

I am assuming you mean outside of the typical pre-med curriculum. I cannot speak for myself since I am only a freshman, but I have friends and this is what they have told me. Medical Ethics if is offered, useful on interview, Human Anatomy, while a 1 year course does not = a major in the topic( I am majoring in it), it will make the transition slightly easier if you already know some stuff. Cell Biology, Genetics. It really depends, I mean some universities offer toned down versions of the med school courses, reallly toned down, but make it easier when you start still. So harder classes like pharmacology, histology if you can take it, take it. Medical schools will also be impressed if you can handle undergrad version of the med school courses.

So what kind of courses have you taken to prep for medical school besides the pre requisites? lol

My school is known to be one of the best when it comes to Marine. Almost every single tenured faculty does marine research. I hate marine. I've taken Biostats, comparative vertebrate anatomy ( loveeeee that course), system / computational biology, developmental, and tissue engineering. I basically took what I thought and sounded interesting to me. So far, no regrets! And I honestly don't think I could've killed these courses if I didn't have a remote interest in them. I would've died if I had to deal with anything marine related like Biology of Fish or sharks. But everyone has their niche and I'm just glad there's enough course to hold my interest.

I mean, I should take genetics and micro etc but honestly, with everyone and their mother trying to fight for a spot of 22-25 students for one lecture and two labs, it's just ridiculous. And honestly, I'm not crazy about those courses either and the specific professors who teach it. If push comes to shove, I'll take it. But it would not be because I have super interest in it beyond the basics.