Recommended courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How important are recommended courses to be accepted

• A must have

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • very important

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • good but not necessary

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • don't worry about it

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

James105

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it to take "recommended courses" for to be competitve?

A Must Have
Very Important
Not necessary but helpful
Don't worry about it

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering about this too. Are they really that much of a boost to your application?

I think they are significant in that if you have mediocre grades in your early freshman/sophomore science classes (Bs, Cs) and you can pull off consistent As and Bs in upper level science courses (i.e. recommended courses) it gives you a boost.

Logically think about it. If you can pull of As and Bs in genetics, microbio, immuno, etc..it shows that you're capable of handling basic sciences that will get thrown at you in 1st year of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if the rest of your application is very strong? I know that if you have GPA or MCAT weakness it is a good idea, but what if you are strong in those other areas?

What if the rest of your application is very strong? I know that if you have GPA or MCAT weakness it is a good idea, but what if you are strong in those other areas?

I think if you're looking at a 4.0 and a 30, you're fine.
If you're on the fence in either, you take whatever they tell you to take.

I think you look at all things as a means of tie-breaking. If you have a 4.0 and a 30...you don't need too many tie-breakers. If you have a 3.6 and a 28, you might start looking for other things.

Why not be a super gunner and have a great GPA, MCAT, and take the recommended courses?

It is too expensive to keep chasing after the "vision" of the premedder. So one must choose a point to stop, especially after one has graduated

I think if you're looking at a 4.0 and a 30, you're fine.
If you're on the fence in either, you take whatever they tell you to take.

I think you look at all things as a means of tie-breaking. If you have a 4.0 and a 30...you don't need too many tie-breakers. If you have a 3.6 and a 28, you might start looking for other things.

Why not be a super gunner and have a great GPA, MCAT, and take the recommended courses?

hello my college doesnt offer majors in scieneces. or a premed programe.so they asked me to to take phycisian assistant programe. to cover requirements to take mcat.i want to get in medical school. so is it good if i go this way.like taking liberal arts and sciences. and doing the above mentioned programe.or i should take a transfer,and go in a premed school. i want to know who will be preffered for medical colleges, a premed . or guy like me. a physicican assistant programe student.and which will be easy.to score up, since i have a 3.75 gpa and i dont want to spoil it. getting in tougher programe...and the second thing is does college reputation really matter more than ur gpa.for residencies and med school admission

it seems that biochem is the big deterrent to taking more courses. i have spoken with quite a few sources on this subject. it seems that if you have a high gpa then it isnt worth taking biochem unless you need it for a school. so it seems good but not necessary

Has anyone ever had an acknowledged rejection due to not taking a recommended course?