Recommended Non-Science Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bocciball

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just wondering which non-science classes are generally recommended for a broad range of medical schools. I have already completed a full year of college English classes, a full year of math, and an introductory psychology. I am planning on taking an introductory to public health class this coming semester. I have heard from a few different people that some schools require a sociology class and or economics? Are there any other classes that some schools require outside the basic sciences that I should be aware of and plan into my curriculum? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Outside of the usual pre-reqs, I've heard of schools requiring one or two semesters of calculus, a semester of statistics, a semester of biochem, and molecular bio. The only school I've ever heard of that requires behavioral science classes is the University of Illinois. They require two classes in Psych (101 & 102 is fine), and one class in either sociology or anthropology. I know of no other school that has such a requirement.