Recommended schools other than the big 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I cannot take names of people or schools. But people kicked out of saba, and not so great step scores have matched this year, I believe into Family med. But I am not sure how often it happens. Everything that above people have said is probably true. You may end up spending 4 or more years and a very huge debt. And what you will ultimately be looking at is either: NO match VS. Family med. After carefully thinking it out, If your gut feeling tells you that you will be the latter not former; and you can afford the debt and the loss of time, if it were to happen; THEN GO FOR IT. You can try any damn caribbean school at your own risk; and it will give you a path for your dreams. Chance of matching is significantly low but certainly NOT zero!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting waking up a necro thread. I wonder what the OP did. It was certainly a good, informative , and entertaining read.

Yeah, this is a great thread with a lot of great contributions. Worth a re-read!

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to hear an outcome of this. It was fun to read.

Reactions: 1 users
This hooked me in. OP- where you at?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I PMed him. He said he did end up transferring to another Caribbean school and is now studying for his Step 1.

Dude. I appreciate that he chased it and is now at his step 1. That rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just to update you on my situation. I transferred to another school, continued where I left off, and now taking step 1. I withdrew from my previous school thus avoiding a dismissal on my record, but I had to bug them about it for 8 months.

Also, it turned out that I have ADHD but didn't realize it or get diagnosed before. I'm dealing with it better now that I know it's been my enemy all along.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just to update you on my situation. I transferred to another school, continued where I left off, and now taking step 1. I withdrew from my previous school thus avoiding a dismissal on my record, but I had to bug them about it for 8 months.

Also, it turned out that I have ADHD but didn't realize it or get diagnosed before. I'm dealing with it better now that I know it's been my enemy all along.
What did you get on step 1?

Transferring is a red flag, not to mention transferring to another Caribbean school. Should have started all over. Everything you apply for from step 1 to residency will require transcripts from both schools.

If you want any hope to obtain a residency, every since you transferred you need a near perfect transcript, USCE with great LOR and honors with lots of extracurriculars in research, volunteering, leadership.

and most importantly kill board exams on first attempt. beat the US average and make connections

psych, FM is always in reach if your willing to go anywhere. IM is in grasp if you get great scores

everything else depends on connections, LOR, etc...

T First, I don't recommend any Caribbean medical school outside the big four, but if you do choose to reapply to other schools beyond the big four, I believe there are definitely ways to tier medical schools in the Caribbean according to their levels of accreditation, approval, and recognition in the United States.
Because the information posted here was published in 2014, we're providing a more up to date assessment of where we stand as one of the Caribbean medical schools with accreditation and whose accrediting authority is NCFMEA approved. I've used selections from the previous list as a jumping off point:

1. Is the school accredited?
Trinity School of Medicine holds the same CAAM-HP accreditation as AUA, SGU and Ross.

2. Is the school’s accreditation NCFMEA approved?
Yes, Trinity's accreditation by CAAM-HP in St. Vincent has been NCFMEA-approved. The accrediting body that accredited the medical school has been deemed by the US Department of Education’s National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation to have accreditation standards on par with LCME, which accredits US and Canadian medical schools.

3. Is the school New York approved?
Our core clerkships are conducted in Maryland not NY. We have numerous graduates who are currently in residency in the state of NY as well as having obtained licensure. This is a priority for our program following California.

4. Is the school California approved?
This is Trinity's next goal having just renewed our CAAM-HP accreditation n 2017. As we approach our decade mark in 2018 we are preparing to undertake this all-important state approval as our goal has always been for our graduates to have the freedom to practice in whichever state they so desire.

5. Can the school’s graduates be licensed in all 50 States?
See the above on plans and priorities, California state approval followed by NY.

6. Is the school eligible to offer Title IV federal student loans?
Today, to be eligible for Title IV status means that 60% of your student body be non-US citizens. Most of the schools with this designation their standing before the new policies were implemented. Because our students are primarily U.S., Canadian and Vincentian, we do not see drastically altering our student population to reduce the number of U.S. citizens enrolled.

7. Is the school non-distance learning?
Trinity does not provide distance learning and in fact, many professors require attendance as part of the grade. Medical students who go to schools where a large portion of the Basic Science and/or Clinical Science curriculum is given via the internet, or distance-learning, are limited from getting licensed and practicing medicine in a large number of states.

Last edited:
Hey look, you wanna be able to practice in any state you choose?
If the answer is no Trinity is the school for you!

Reactions: 1 users