Recommended Study Materials (Per Goljan)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Goljan provided us with the following list of recommended study materials for Step I of USMLE/COMLEX:

1. First Aid for Boards (newest edition)
2. Kaplan USMLE Step I Books & Q Bank
3. Student Consult (with online Q Bank)
4. Rapid Review Pathology
5. Rapid Review Biochem

Other suggestions:

Rapid Review Microbiology/Immunology
Rapid Review Pharmacology
Rapid Review Gross & Developmental Anatomy
Rapid Review Behavioral Science
High Yield Neuroanatomy
High Yield Anatomy
Board Review Series Physiology
OMT Review (Savarese)

(These are his suggestions, not mine. Use them or not, as desired.)

Members don't see this ad.

OSUdoc08 said:
Dr. Goljan provided us with the following list of recommended study materials for Step I of USMLE/COMLEX:

1. First Aid for Boards (newest edition)
2. Kaplan USMLE Step I Books & Q Bank
3. Student Consult (with online Q Bank)
4. Rapid Review Pathology

Other suggestions:

Rapid Review Microbiology/Immunology
Rapid Review Pharmacology
Rapid Review Gross & Developmental Anatomy
Rapid Review Behavioral Science
High Yield Neuroanatomy
High Yield Anatomy
Board Review Series Physiology
OMT Review (Savarese)

(These are his suggestions, not mine. Use them or not, as desired.)

What is student consult?

Kashue said:
What is student consult?

Something that he has just helped to complete that is comparable to Kaplan Q Bank, but is web-based.

OSUdoc08 said:
Something that he has just helped to complete that is comparable to Kaplan Q Bank, but is web-based.

OSU do you have a link?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope Goljan's PCP charges him about 1000 for a visit.

It's interesting that he didn't recommend Rapid Review Biochem, of which he is a co-author.

Or BRS Pathology... i mean, that one's pretty much standard. It definetely does sound like his suggestions are very skewed towards Kaplan and some of the more infrequently used books.... but I wonder if he would also recommend his audio :D

coolmavs said:
Hey guys what is OMT Review?

I'm assuming you're not an osteopathic student. OMT Review is a review book by Dr.Saverse for the OMT part of the COMLEX (the board exam that osteopathic students are required to take).

OMT= Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment/Technique

It was recommended by Dr.Goljan b/c he teaches at the osteopathic med school in Oklahoma (where OSUdoc attends, just in case you didn't notice).

Members don't see this ad :)
As you have alreday mentioned I am not an Osteopthic student. Thanks for the reply anyways.
Also has anyone used the studentconsult question bank? Or anyone has any opinion to share about the same?

Pox in a box said:
Let's see...who's affiliated with Kaplan, Student Consult, and Rapid Review?

What's your point?

Are you saying these materials won't adequately prepare you for the boards?

Pox in a box said:
Let's see...who's affiliated with Kaplan, Student Consult, and Rapid Review?
Hehe... yeah, that's kind of what i was getting at earlier ;).

And, OSUdoc, yes, i'm sure these materials will adequately prepare you for the boards... they're just not at all the standard mix of books/questions used (other than the Qbank), so i think we all think it's a bit weird that his recommendations aren't a little more "standard". Then again, he's preparing you for the COMLEX, so maybe these other sources are better.

Anyway, let's not start a war here - thanks OSUdoc for sharing the info, and we'll all just do whatever we feel is best from there...

obviously he's biased...he recommended a lot of books he wrote!

I cant help but agree with the opinion of delicatefade. In the forst post itself OSUdoc08 has said that these are recommendations made by Dr. Goljan and it is upto a person whether or not to accept these suggestions. There are 5 to 6 types of preparatory material available of the same subject in the market for anyone to pick and read, according to his/her conveneince and likes and dislike. People have scored a 99 using only BRS or only Rapid Review or only Robbins Review or only Stars Rapid Review or for that matter even using Kaplan or all of these together. So these are all choices for an individual to make according to his/her style of reading(as said by BigFrank himself that Rapid Review didnt suit his style and he found BRS Path more o his liking). What we can do is add to these experiences if we have used any one of these and contribute to the forum.
Sorry if this appears a bit didactic, but thought that I should put down my thoughts on this!

thanks osudoc. i dont think that anyone wasnt greatful for what you posted. they are just commenting. dont stop posting...thats how we all help eachother. :)

I'm curious how a pathology teacher knows which books to utilize for Step I success (i.e., there are MANY more topics on the exam than straight Pathology).

And when he recommends (virtually exclusively) his own books, it makes me highly suspicious.

bigfrank said:
I'm curious how a pathology teacher knows which books to utilize for Step I success. And when he recommends, virtually exclusively, his own books, it makes me highly suspicious.

He teaches board review courses all over the nation, and is "in the know" as far as what specific items will be tested on the boards.

In addition, he is a former writer of test questions on the boards.

Obviously he would make sure that the books he writes contain the materials needed for success.

OSUdoc08 said:
He teaches board review courses all over the nation, and is "in the know" as far as what specific items will be tested on the boards.

In addition, he is a former writer of test questions on the boards.

Obviously he would make sure that the books he writes contain the materials needed for success.

While, I realize there's no harm intended, you have to be a skeptic of Goljan's intentions and OSUdoc's as well. His (Goljan's) print materials are untested. He does not have any reputation for anything other than his lectures, even the Rapid Review series, which is gaining steam. His new student consult pay-per-view question bank is definitely something I don't think people should waste their money on purchasing. It's very expensive considering it's such a new product. I didn't think any of Goljan's sample questions from his books were very good compared to Step 1 either. I'm not saying he's a bad teacher. He's a wonderful teacher. I'm just saying he should stick with what he does best, teaching. Leave the commercialization of his knowledge to others.

Pox in a box said:
While, I realize there's no harm intended, you have to be a skeptic of Goljan's intentions and OSUdoc's as well. His (Goljan's) print materials are untested. He does not have any reputation for anything other than his lectures, even the Rapid Review series, which is gaining steam. His new student consult pay-per-view question bank is definitely something I don't think people should waste their money on purchasing. It's very expensive considering it's such a new product. I didn't think any of Goljan's sample questions from his books were very good compared to Step 1 either. I'm not saying he's a bad teacher. He's a wonderful teacher. I'm just saying he should stick with what he does best, teaching. Leave the commercialization of his knowledge to others.

However illegal it may be, right?

OSUdoc08 said:
However illegal it may be, right?
Contrary to what your school and Goljan may believe, Goljan doesn't own the intellectual property rights of Step I material.

bigfrank said:
Contrary to what your school and Goljan may believe, Goljan doesn't own the intellectual property rights of Step I material.

I don't think anyone is trying to say this, but he clearly owns the copyright to the materials that he has put together just like any other author.

DrMom said:
I don't think anyone is trying to say this, but he clearly owns the copyright to the materials that he has put together just like any other author.

We're not debating the fact that people use Goljan's bootlegged audio. This fact is regrettable. What is at argument is that Goljan is recommending almost exclusively materials in which he has invested time and money and is anticipating a return (a la cash dividends). I applaud OSUdoc's original post...he said everything well and why the post was made. These suggestions are from Goljan, not OSUdoc. The point is that just because Goljan endorses, does not mean that it's golden.

*gasp*

Bigfrank and Pox in agreement!?

The End is nigh....

Point one-Thanks osu
Point two-Goljan did not come to the forum to sell his books, OSU just let us in a secret.
Point three-Goljan has no conflict of interest, till he says, you have to buy only these set of books or else you fail.He did not say them, yet, that is.Actually I dont know what he said.
Point four-Goljan teaches Pathology, since when has he become a expert in all other subjects?Or he has, and i dont know, well i dont know a lot of stuff.

chillypalmer said:
Point one-Thanks osu
Point two-Goljan did not come to the forum to sell his books, OSU just let us in a secret.
Point three-Goljan has no conflict of interest, till he says, you have to buy only these set of books or else you fail.He did not say them, yet, that is.Actually I dont know what he said.
Point four-Goljan teaches Pathology, since when has he become a expert in all other subjects?Or he has, and i dont know, well i dont know a lot of stuff.

Did you miss out on the part when I stated that he runs Kaplan board reviews throughout the country, WRITES USMLE review books in ALL subjects, is a former test question writer for the USMLE, and is "in the know" with the current material on board exams?

Pox in a box said:
This is false. Pathology and biochemistry are not the only subjects on Step 1.

Those are not the only books he contributes to (including a USMLE review book that contains ALL subjects.)

Of course you couldn't help but contradict me, as always.

Guys, if I am not mistaken Goljan is only the series editor of the rapid review series. This means that the books do have contributions from a host of other people. Eg Biochemistry also has a certain John pelley, Anatomy has Anthony Moore & William Roy, Microbiology has Ken Rosenthal & James Tan and Pharmacology has 3 persons by the name of Thomas, Mrugeshkumar and Laszlo. Also if a publishing house, as renowned as MOSBY, can appoint him as series editor of an entire series speaks volumes of the fact that this man has a knack of understanding what the Boards is about! But this also doesnt mean that these are the only good books around, RIGHT!

OSUdoc08 said:
Those are not the only books he contributes to (including a USMLE review book that contains ALL subjects.)

Of course you couldn't help but contradict me, as always.

He is an editor for most of those books...you realize Goljan doesn't care that you're kissing his ass on SDN.

Has anyone ruled out that OSU is Goljan?

/closes blinds
//dons tinfoil hat

funkless said:
Has anyone ruled out that OSU is Goljan?

/closes blinds
//dons tinfoil hat

Lol.

Goljan doesn't even use email. In fact, he's the ONLY professor in our entire school that doesn't use powerpoint. He uses old-fashioned slides.

OSUdoc08 said:
Lol.

Goljan doesn't even use email. In fact, he's the ONLY professor in our entire school that doesn't use powerpoint. He uses old-fashioned slides.

you know, this is my first message I have ever posted even though I have been reading this forum for a year now. It is ok that Goljan has chose those books, OSU has chosen to share this information with us. Thank you for that! One thing I have realized after agonizing forever about what to study for the boards is everyone picks their own likings. Kaplan might be the key for some people, and I have heard many positive things about this, but BRS and HY series might be the others. SO you pick what you think would work for you and stop fighting about whose better or not! Good luck to all!

Pox in a box said:
Can you confirm this, second year?

Yes, I can.

Why are you even on this forum? I'd think you'd have moved on past Step I and would be active in your clinicals.

(Or did you just fail your boards, and are still trying to retake it?)

OSUdoc08 said:
Yes, I can.

Why are you even on this forum? I'd think you'd have moved on past Step I and would be active in your clinicals.

(Or did you just fail your boards, and are still trying to retake it?)
Since you started this post obviously trying to cash in on "karma," why would you go and f*** things up with your last sentence here?