Recommender Sent Me My Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xv2000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick question that might end up being kind of silly. I'm applying to doctoral programs now and I have not turned in my applications yet, but I am planning on waiving my right to view my recommendation letters. However, one of my recommenders just sent me a PDF of their letter unprompted to see what I thought of it. I'm worried about the ethics of me opening the letter and reading it. Do you guys have any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If they sent it to you, you can look at it. Especially if they asked you to. I really appreciated when my letter writers did this.

One day, when you're farther along, you'll end up writing these letters on their behalf! Enjoy them writing the letters while you can. :)

You waived the right to view it...you didn't say you didn't have the right. It's at the discretion of the writer as to whether or not they let you view it and every person is different. Definitely open it if they asked for input.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't speak for all schools, but generally you are waiving your right to request to see it. In other words, you can't demand the school you are applying to show you the letter. Since its part of your application package, without waiving that right I think you can technically demand to see it. Frankly, its more a legal thing for the university than anything else.

You are not typically signing to indicate you haven't seen the letter. From my perspective, that's fine. I usually ask for feedback on letters and was given the opportunity to do so when I was an undergrad.

By the second half of graduate school and from there on out, I think most of us are writing our own letters and just sending to others to sign/edit. Which is kind of ridiculous, but the way it works. I honestly can't remember the last recommendation/support letter I didn't draft myself at this point (maybe one of my internship letters?).

Reactions: 4 users