Grief Lab/PI recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Cinnabon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, the time is soon coming closer that I need to start working on my initial SOP drafts (especially because I'll be unavailable toward the end of the summer). My research interests naturally changed/evolved getting full-time RA experience. Thus far I've cultivated a decent school list focusing mostly on PTSD oriented labs, but I also want to throw in some labs that specialize in Complicated Grief.

So far I have: Mary-Frances O'Connor at Arizona and Sidney Zisook at UCSD.

I know that this is a smaller field but are there any other names you seasoned folk might suggest?

(This is for PhD apps if that wasn't obvious enough)

Members don't see this ad.

M. Catherine Shear at Columbia does a lot with prolonged grief, but she's an MD so I'm not sure if there are opportunities for psych students there. Worth looking into, though - it's called the Center for Prolonged Grief.

Reactions: 4 users
Let's see, there is Holly Prigerson at Cornell, Bonanno at Columbia, Papa at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa, Joah Williams at the University of Missouri - KC, and Rheingold at MUSC. There are quite a few more, but those are the people I am most familiar with. Neimeyer at the University of Memphis is another one, but I'm not sure what his lab is doing these days.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see, there is Holly Prigerson at Cornell, Bonanno at Columbia, Papa at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa, Joah Williams at the University of Missouri - KC, and Rheingold at MUSC. There are quite a few more, but those are the people I am most familiar with. Neimeyer at the University of Memphis is another one, but I'm not sure what his lab is doing these days.
Thank you so much! In retrospect I do remember some of these names. I guess they just slipped my mind.

M. Catherine Shear at Columbia does a lot with prolonged grief, but she's an MD so I'm not sure if there are opportunities for psych students there. Worth looking into, though - it's called the Center for Prolonged Grief.
She does amazing work but as far as I'm aware the only way to be mentored by her is to be a Social Work PhD candidate at Columbia.