Recording in rotations

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by midn, Dec 25, 2008.

1. midn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So, my brother bought me a really nifty gift: Smartpen Pulse. It's basically a pen that records pen strokes and audio and synchronizes the audio with your notes.

Now, this is the first time my brother has ever bought me a gift (we usually don't buy each other gifts in my family, it mostly ends up being cash) and I kind of feel bad that I don't actually have any use for the pen since I don't go to lecture most the time anyways.

This pen would be extremely handy in clinicals, but I'm not sure if recording audio in a hospital is legal. So, I wanted to know if you're allowed to record audio as notes while taking histories and such or going on rounds.

Thanks.

2. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Tough one. I would bet that you can't record patients' voices while taking a history but it should be okay to make verbal notes on your own afterwards. Moreover, I also don't know if your colleague would want you recording them discussing a patient on rounds.

I think the pen could actually come in quite handy as a tool for making personal notes or reminders.

3. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can record anything that you like but if your recording involves one of your patient's you likely need permission from the party involved. You also can't have anything that is personally identifying to your patient's become public. This makes using devices like these problematic. If this were to fall into outside hands, you would become liable since it's your material. While this is a useful device for lectures and conferences, I would "ditch it" when it comes to using it around patients. The only recording that I do that involves patient's is our dictation system which is secure.

4. midn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Damn, I thought so. Man, what do I do with this thing? Maybe I should start going to lecture again.

If I had this thing in college, I would've been incredibly happy, but I rarely even take notes in med school.

5. OncoCaP

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Sell it for cash on ebay.

6. facetguy

7+ Year Member

Shall we begin the bidding here?

7. midn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I already returned the gift which was subsequently returned to the store from whence it came.

I got some (substantially cheaper) running shoes instead.

8. ninjadoc

what was the pen called? sound's cool

9. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    good call

10. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    He probably got it in SkyMall or in the Brookstone store in the airport. haha.