Rec's for a decent psych book 4th yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monicak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Im about to start my AI (acting internship -- I guess some schools call it subinternship -- basically you "act" like an intern during a month in the specialty you have chosen) in Psych. Im wondering about texts. I didnt use any text for 2nd year or 3rd year, except for a high yield book. Obviously I want to get more in depth. I do love to read psych, but have spent a lot of time reading articles online. So I think I need a real book now. Any suggestions before I shell out a lot of cash for a text? Also, any book that interns/house officers carry around that is of particular use? Thanks.

m

Members don't see this ad.

monicak said:
Hey,
Im about to start my AI (acting internship -- I guess some schools call it subinternship -- basically you "act" like an intern during a month in the specialty you have chosen) in Psych. Im wondering about texts. I didnt use any text for 2nd year or 3rd year, except for a high yield book. Obviously I want to get more in depth. I do love to read psych, but have spent a lot of time reading articles online. So I think I need a real book now. Any suggestions before I shell out a lot of cash for a text? Also, any book that interns/house officers carry around that is of particular use? Thanks.

m
The Maudsley Handbook of Practical Psychiatry (Oxford Pocket Medicine)
ISBN 0198516096
A most wonderful book geared towards junior HO/interns. However, it's based on the UK model, so some aspects especially legal stuffs are not relevant.
Hope this helps.

Text:
Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry 9th edition.

I also like:
Psychiatry, 2003-2004 Edition (Current Clinical Strategies Publishing)
Handbook of Psychiatric Drugs, 2004 Edition

doctor4ever said:
Text:
Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry 9th edition.

I also like:
Psychiatry, 2003-2004 Edition (Current Clinical Strategies Publishing)
Handbook of Psychiatric Drugs, 2004 Edition
THANKS