Rec's for a decent psych book 4th yr

Started by monicak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

monicak

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
Im about to start my AI (acting internship -- I guess some schools call it subinternship -- basically you "act" like an intern during a month in the specialty you have chosen) in Psych. Im wondering about texts. I didnt use any text for 2nd year or 3rd year, except for a high yield book. Obviously I want to get more in depth. I do love to read psych, but have spent a lot of time reading articles online. So I think I need a real book now. Any suggestions before I shell out a lot of cash for a text? Also, any book that interns/house officers carry around that is of particular use? Thanks.

m
 
monicak said:
Hey,
Im about to start my AI (acting internship -- I guess some schools call it subinternship -- basically you "act" like an intern during a month in the specialty you have chosen) in Psych. Im wondering about texts. I didnt use any text for 2nd year or 3rd year, except for a high yield book. Obviously I want to get more in depth. I do love to read psych, but have spent a lot of time reading articles online. So I think I need a real book now. Any suggestions before I shell out a lot of cash for a text? Also, any book that interns/house officers carry around that is of particular use? Thanks.

m
The Maudsley Handbook of Practical Psychiatry (Oxford Pocket Medicine)
ISBN 0198516096
A most wonderful book geared towards junior HO/interns. However, it's based on the UK model, so some aspects especially legal stuffs are not relevant.
Hope this helps.
 
Text:
Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry 9th edition.

I also like:
Psychiatry, 2003-2004 Edition (Current Clinical Strategies Publishing)
Handbook of Psychiatric Drugs, 2004 Edition
 
doctor4ever said:
Text:
Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences/Clinical Psychiatry 9th edition.

I also like:
Psychiatry, 2003-2004 Edition (Current Clinical Strategies Publishing)
Handbook of Psychiatric Drugs, 2004 Edition
THANKS