Red Bull And Twix..what About U ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutdmax

Accepted PharmD Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what i should eat or drink before the exam, my exam is at 8.30 in the morning ..what kind of snacks u guy bring with you to the test ..i was thinking red bull and tiwxx as ATP source :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the test a little bit dehydrated. I had to piss during the first half of the test. And it wasn't a slight urge, it was the kind of urge where you twist your body and and cross your legs to pinch your urethra shut so you don't piss yourself. Needless to say, it was quite distracting. Especially since there were several questions in the bio section about the kidney lol. Have something with complex carbs. Oatmeal is good.

If you eat a little fat with your carbs the breakdown sugars will be released into your bloodstream more gradually, avoiding the carb rush and crash. If you want breakfast to last through the test, don't go carb-only.

Low fat yogurt is good to eat in the morning because you get protein, sugar, and a little bit of fat.

They should let you leave to go to the bathroom if you finish a section early. And, there should be some strategically planned breaks. I recommend using the bathroom at every scheduled break and right before the exam, so that you don't end up feeling uncomfortable during the exam.

I remember that the breaks were short. For breaks, bring something you can rip open, eat fast, and that doesn't cause you to have to wash your hands afterwards. You do not want to have to choose between snacking and using the bathroom. Pee, then eat.

And, don't leave any question unanswered. That's the biggest error that people make on the PCAT. The number you get right is what counts and you don't lose anything by guessing.

I didn't eat anything before the PCAT because I always feared getting indigestion and/or gas during the exam. It's bad enough to have to deal with so many questions with so little time but this problem is ten fold for me when having to go.

Water, redbull, and diet mt. dew. I don't remember eating much, but I ate something light.

I guess if you were really scared, you could wear some Depends.

LMAO!!

I'd stay away from energy drinks at the beginning because I always get super tired like 45 minutes later. In most testing environments, you can't have a drink that you can't close (like a can).

I don't snack during long tests or have a big meal before. I just have a Special K granola bar and I'm good. I also keep peppermints because its supposed to help you take tests better and it helps me focus and get a lil bit of sugar to stay alert.

Having something like a bagel and yogurt sounds like a good idea because you get the carbs and all the good vitamins.

thanks for everyone ....i will have some yogurt and small wheat bread..red bull and some milky way will be great too ..i hope not to get carried away with food and forget about the exam...:D

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and I brought a high-fiber decently high-protein granola bar as a snack.

No redbull! You'll be keyed up enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't eat anything before the PCAT because I always feared getting indigestion and/or gas during the exam. It's bad enough to have to deal with so many questions with so little time but this problem is ten fold for me when having to go.

Hmm... maybe you should eat some Mexican food and get gas... it will distract your classmates (your competition!) more than it will you. :)

Hmm... maybe you should eat some Mexican food and get gas... it will distract your classmates (your competition!) more than it will you. :)

I'll be packing some brain food: extra glucose for my brain, some electrolytes for my fluids, vitamins extra iron (megawomen), and a can of tuna. Also, I cant forget my monster !
:corny:

I'll be packing some brain food: extra glucose for my brain, some electrolytes for my fluids, vitamins extra iron (megawomen), and a can of tuna. Also, I cant forget my monster !
:corny:

Tuna in the morning?!?! So gross!

I didn't eat anything before the PCAT because I always feared getting indigestion and/or gas during the exam.

LMAO! When I took the ACT to get into college (school didn't require SAT) in the middle of the math section my stomach started doing these really loud digestive rumbling noises. It was horrible! The room was dead quiet except for my loud stomach rumblings. I shifted around the entire time trying to quiet it. :laugh: That'll teach me to eat McDonalds for breakfast prior to a long test again... :idea::laugh:

LMAO! When I took the ACT to get into college (school didn't require SAT) in the middle of the math section my stomach started doing these really loud digestive rumbling noises. It was horrible! The room was dead quiet except for my loud stomach rumblings. I shifted around the entire time trying to quiet it. :laugh: That'll teach me to eat McDonalds for breakfast prior to a long test again... :idea::laugh:

I actually have chem class really early in the morning, like 730am. I usually try to get up at 7am, which gives me just enough time to get dressed and drive down there in time. Needless to say, I NEVER have time to eat breakfast. My stomach always grumbles SO LOUD in that class... the girl that sits next to me actually said to me last week, "You a little hungry, T?" I almost died of embarrassment, stupid stomach!

I HATE IT when that happens. It makes me so paranoid that people will think that I passed gas or something when the rumbling and hissing sound is so loud.

McDonalds = bad food for test day. Their Big Breakfast is big on oil and grease.

I've heard from Kaplan reps that Gatorade has practically the same osmolarity as your blood, so your body absorbs most of it....in other words, you stay hydrated and urinate less.

Not sure how valid that is, but it sounds nice lol

I've heard from Kaplan reps that Gatorade has practically the same osmolarity as your blood, so your body absorbs most of it....in other words, you stay hydrated and urinate less.

Not sure how valid that is, but it sounds nice lol

That's what I read too. Gatorade is basically souped-up salt water that matches up with our bodies' osmolarity. It's a bad feeling to have to hold one's pee during the math section.:)

Coffee and Croissant. But please don't take anything Diary or cheese like cause that will cause your brain to focus more on breaking it down hindering your performance.