General Red flag in personal statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting to panic a little after reading a post about how speaking on issues with your mental health in your application is a huge red flag. I wrote in my personal statement about a process of recovery following a sexual assault 3 years ago and subsequent post-traumatic stress diagnosis. I admitted that it took some time for me to get help and acknowledged that I had experienced dissociative flashbacks. I tied it all into my interest in psychiatry, as well as how as an EMT and support hotline volunteer I've been on the other side and have been able to help those on my college campus around me, and left with a very hopeful message about my own improvement and the good I see doctors as being able to do in the world, tying it back to shadowing experience in psych ER and behavioral calls I've been on as an EMT. It hadn't occurred to me at the time of submitting my primary that disclosing this struggle would signal to med schools that I'm a potential risk due to these past mental health issues and now I'm getting really worried that by trying to relay how important medicine is to me, I screwed up my chances of ever getting in.

For reference, I think my application is solid other than this major concern. I have a 520 MCAT (130/129/131/130), a 3.88 GPA and 3.85 sGPA. I go to a T20 undergrad school and I've shadowed extensively, volunteered as an EMT (and held a ton of leadership positions there, I'm the head of the organization now and have been on over 270 calls), volunteered in hospital, worked in a psych lab and held an undergrad job with some other ECs. Do you think I should start to brace myself for no interviews or acceptances given my PS?
With stats like those, your sustained efforts at academic excellence will allay any Adcom's fears.

Members don't see this ad.

Kudos for you and your ongoing recovery. I agree your academic performance in spite of the setbacks will allay academic concerns. If you present your challenges as assets to your ability to care for others or to highlight the taboo around the issues you raise with sexual assault, PTSD, empathy for invisible disabilities, and insight into listening to your patients, you have done all you can do to present your best professional self.

Status
Not open for further replies.