Red Flag or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LloydDObler

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My #1 choice is a university program in a desirable geographic area with a huge medical school attached to it. None of the residents are from said attached medical school. Is this an issue or not? I initially thought it wasn't (in fact, I initially didn't even notice), but now I wonder. A relatively small proportion of any medical school class is going into FM in the first place, so it probably doesn't matter. I just am worried that there's something I don't know.

Thanks for your input!
 
it could be a red flag. maybe they dont go there because they know something u dont. i dont think anyone from my med schl applied to my university's FP program because we know it isnt good. unfortunately, in FP, a lot of mediocre to crappy programs can appear good initially because of the big name hospital behind it.

u probably need to talk to more ppl who are familiar with the program.
 
To me that would be a red flag... it's actually something I look for given that our med school has a fantastic sports med fellowship but the residency is not very strong.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The program is competitive. I am not worried about the quality of training. I am more worried about "malignancy" ( a word I am growing to hate in regards to residency training). I don't really know how to go about finding out, since the current residents love the program (or say they do). Since I didn't go to this school, I can't contact the students.

Anyway, thanks for your input!
 
Sorry, I guess I should clarify that better... I meant more malignant than non-competitive. A lot of people don't stay here for family because it's not as well respected and I honestly don't see those residents hardly ever in the university setting... makes me wonder where they are!